Skip to Content

Gimp Photo Editing Software

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
bazzlewazzle

Gimp Photo Editing Software

Unread post by bazzlewazzle » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:14 am

Has anybody used Gimp? (http://www.gimp.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) It's free and I just read about it in a magazine article and wondered if it's any good. It's price certainly beats photoshop! At the moment the only thing I use is Canon's digital Photo Pro that came with the camera.

Any Thoughts?? :hmz:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Photo Editing Software

Unread post by DuQues » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:10 am

The Gimp is indeed very good.
I use it when I boot my PC with Linux and need a quick edit on a photo, like a resize of a photo posted on the forums.
(I run windows xp, windows 7 and Ubuntu on my pc.)

But the linux bit may be the problem for you. It's safe to assume you're running windows...
Not a big problem though if you know a little about computers. You can run VirtualBox, a download at the Sun site, and install any linux flavour while running windows. A socalled virtual machine.

VirtualBox is a small download, linux isn't though. But! There is a workaround for that. Go to www.ubuntu.org (I think .org) and browse around a little, there is an option to have a cd sent to you, free of charge. I've done that in the past, and they are pretty quick.
The Gimp is one of the many packages included on the cd.

Enjoy!
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”