Origin of SANParks logo, the kudu kop

Moderator: Crested Val

alf

Origin of SANParks logo, the kudu kop

Unread post by alf »

I'm not sure if i have this at the right place. So MODS you can move it please if you want. I was wondering. Can anybody tell me who was the person that decided the Sanparks logo will be kudu horns and what year it was? I remember when i was a small child my dad got the custos magazine and even then it had the kudu horns logo on. Why kudu horns? There's so many other animal heads they could use!!! :hmz:
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo
Micetta
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kudu horns

Unread post by Micetta »

It must be something you can stylize. Can you think of something more beautiful then the head of a kudu bull? Impala hasn't got the spiral thing :lol:
alf

Unread post by alf »

If it was my choice i would have used the head of a nice big tusker. 8)
joekin

Unread post by joekin »

onewithnature wrote:Or a sable.

but the kudu has prob the most distinct horns in the park. a frontal sable wouldn't be as easy as a kudu to identify on a emblem.
Pamwe Chete

Unread post by Pamwe Chete »

Hi All,

I think the Kudu is a very distinguished and like it as the official emblem. Still does not answer who made the decision for it to become the official emblem of SANPARK's.

I am going on a savanna and grassland course this weekend and will see if there is anyone that can help.

Regards
"Pamwe Chete" - The motto of the SELOUS SCOUTS, Shona meaning "Together only!" or "All Together"

Richard Roundtree
joekin

Unread post by joekin »

rroundtr wrote:Hi All,

I think the Kudu is a very distinguished and like it as the official emblem. Still does not answer who made the decision for it to become the official emblem of SANPARK's.

I am going on a savanna and grassland course this weekend and will see if there is anyone that can help.

Regards

i honestly think especially since the emblem is a single colour and not detailed that the kudu horn was the best choice.

do you think we would be having the same discussion if they had chosen roan or eland??

its just such a easily identifiable "pattern"
GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by GlenD »

If I remember correctly the emblem used to be a bit more detailed in the past. In a green shield with a yellow border.

As for the Sable, that is used by the Wildlife Society, with a profile view.
gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Origin of SANParks logo, the kudu kop

Unread post by gmlsmit »

Hopefully my bit may help. :)

The National Parks Board in 1930; decided that a badge be designed and issued to Board members and Game Rangers, so that they could be recognised by members of the public.

Many designs were subsequently put forwarded and the Kudu head was selected. Button hole sized badges were minted and issued to Board members only.

The design accepted was a realistic Kudu head white with black lineage on a dark green background, framed in black and gold in the shape of a shield, with a golden coloured ribbon with the words "CUSTOS NATURAE" emblazoned in black below.

In 1955 the Board decided to register the Kudu head emblem, the National Parks Board corporate logo, with the Heraldry Board. The badge would be issued to officers of the Board, and displayed on Board property.

Uniforms were proposed and implemented during 1960. An issue cost about R60.00 for which an allowance of R20.00 was paid for the original purchase therof and then R10.00 per annum for the upkeep.

During Juine 1960 the Board approved that all officials coming into contact with the public, would be issued with a bar indicating the officials name on a green background. Two sets of shoulder epaulettes would be provided the first year and thereafter one set per annum. Rangers would also be issued with badges inscribed "Ranger/Veldwagter".

During 1963 it was decided that a formal uniform which included a beret and a tunic, be issued to Heads of Departments and Sections as well as Game Rangers.

TheNational Parks Board flag was designd in 1962 on which the Kudu emblem was to be displayed. The official flag was to be flown at al National Parks and Rest Camps.

The Board in June 1984 resolved that" the registered design of the Board's emblem be noted, as well as the fact that a realistic as opposed to the heraldic Kudu head be used as the official emblem"'.

During the mid 1980s it was felt that the realistic Kudu head that served as the Board's emblem, was no longer in line with modern heraldic trends. A stylised Kudu head was approved by the Board in March 1988.

The National flag would also be flown with the National Parks Board flag at all entrance gates to Parks and Rest Camps.

Park emblems were designed for each National Park. The Lion's head submitted by Messrs. C Cheney and M Landman of the Trails Section was approved for the Kruger Park in 1993.

The park emblems were only to appear on letterheads, while the Corporate Emblem (Kudu head) was used for uniforms and the Board's flag.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized *** and Lion trade.
Done 159 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.
waiad

Unread post by waiad »

:D thank you gmlsmit - very informative and detailed. you have a vast knowledge of the history - do you have the history of the knp collection i wonder?
the ultimate of life is to enjoy it
gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit »

Thanks all for the kind words. :)
I have been reading up, collecting and making notes since 1958.
I have a few shelves stacked with data.
DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird »

Thanks Glmsmit!!

I have had a response from Joep Stevens at SANParks HO:

That’s most interesting. I am asking around here and amongst some previous employees to see if there is more information. Herewith a copy of the first (as far as I am aware) KNP logo, where interestingly the Kudu already played a prominent role. This was designed by Hilda Stevenson-Hamilton. The second one (more recent) seems to have been a corporate one and seems to be more a letterhead than a logo. Interesting debate and requires more investigating.

Kind regards.

JOEP STEVENS
GENERAL MANAGER, TOURISM OPERATIONS

- Dalene
gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit »

The above two letterheads are very special.
I will support the statement that Mrs. Hilda Stevenson-Hamilton had been involved in the design. She was a remarkable artist.
These two are real Africana. Trasures of the past.
OzNes

Unread post by OzNes »

I think is because of how the animal itself carries itself, noticed how brave and beautiful it is. It hardly roams in groups, mostly two or three of them linger around the parks but the physical shape is usually fit and honestly i have never seen a dirty kudu b4.

Oh yeah Impala horns do twirl around too but i bet they didnt use it because Impalas are lions daily bread.
alf

Unread post by alf »

Thank you all for this wonderful information and all the effort that went into this. It's much appreciated. We are very fortunate to have this knowledge from our members. :clap: :clap:
ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti »

Slightly different angle , see the shadow cast on the reservoir by a tree - using a bit of imagination it appears it could resemble the kudu head - to the naked eye it appeared more realistic but unfortunately the camera did not see one of the horns in the same way .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.