Skip to Content

Nikon Bodies

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Andreas Cierpka
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Andreas Cierpka » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:23 pm

Forget about the D70(s) and D50s. I use a D100 and if you realy want to make "professional" photos this is the camera you should go with.
My girlfriend is using the D70 and I updated the bios to the same as the D70s but there are still some issues with it.

The camera is in Nikons setup as soon as switched off. The object focus is always back to dynamic instead of static. As well as some setup are made by Nikon for you.

I prefer my D100 as I can change it's setup as I want.

Even if you change the lenses make sure they are working. I do own a 28-70,2.8 which is working but the autofocus has to be switched from single to continous. Because of the multiplication factor from the DSLRs some lenses work but the result is an unsharp picture.

When I got mine I took all my equipment to the shop and made some pictures. They even offered me to get the camera for a day.

TheronFamily

Re: Nikon DSLR

Unread post by TheronFamily » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:21 pm

DvZ wrote:Hi All photography boffins

Hi DvZ :wink:

Any suggestions and approx cost I am looking at?

Your current options here are;
D70
D70s
D50
D100

D70 - many failures reported on this model, camera model is just over a year old now, and showing it's failure rate now :x
D70s - too new to say, but hopefully above points have been addressed - only time will tell
D50 - also a new kid on the block, but price looks sweet :D

D70 and D70s need a lot of software post processing by default to get your final results looking great.
D50 takes great out of the box pics.
D100, I have no knowledge of this one, sorry.

Check the following for prices;
www.sacamera.co.za
www.prodigital.co.za
www.kalahari.net
wholesaledigital (do a google for the url) - but their prices seem WAY too high.
Bonus is that they are close to you, so if the guy tries to snooker you, you can visit him with one of your lenses in hand :wink:

You say must be Nikon?
The lenses you have worthwhile limiting your decision?
Why I ask, olympus have the E-300 Slr Twin Lens Kit, comes with a 14-45 and 45-150mm lens - VERY VERY GOOD PRICE right now.
You need to haggle with your local shopkeeper, and make him very aware of the major price drop in this model Aug 1.
Places like HiFi Corp, Game, reputable dealers are selling for app R 8000 :!:

Shout if you need further advice.
ps.
Accesories you must have are;
1. Memory min 1gb
2. Portable storage device eg iPod, Maha storage tank, laptop (depends on how many shots you want to take, and how long you 'll be away from your computer to upload
3. Spare Battery - D70s and D50 are quoted at taking about 2000 shots before they die
4. Tripod - a good, sturdy one, for those low light shots.

pps Digital SLR's have a factor that increases the final size of your image by a multiplication factor, called FOV (Field of View)
In the Nikon case, its a factor of 1.5x
The Oly E300 is 2x
What it means (and hopefully you dont know all of this, otherwise I'm typing for nothing here - LOL) is that when you fit your normal SLR lens to your BRAND SPANKING NEW Nikon, your range will cover your lens + .5%
eg. Your 50mm now becomes a 50 x 1.5 = 75mm lens
Nice for telephotos, but sucky for wide angles :roll:

Gee, and this is my first post EVER here (well, excluding the Welcome to the forum one) - LOL
Sorry :redface:

TheronFamily

Unread post by TheronFamily » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:27 pm

Andreas Cierpka wrote:The camera is in Nikons setup as soon as switched off. The object focus is always back to dynamic instead of static. As well as some setup are made by Nikon for you.

Hello Andreas
Page 136 of the D70 manual states;
Menu Reset with 2 options. ie
No
Reset

You are saying that even when selecting the NO option, it resets to defaults?
Rgds.

Andreas Cierpka
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Andreas Cierpka » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:04 am

It's stupid but it's just how the autofocus works. The rest stays like setup.

My girlfriend got the camera this year right before vocation and a lot of her pictures are bad becasue the autofocus worked at the nearest object.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:16 am

Here is a side-by-side review of the D100, D70 and D70s, with links to useropinions.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

katydownunder
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by katydownunder » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:47 pm

I bought my Nikon D 70 in March this year.
One of the main clincher for me was that I already got the lenses for my Nikon F 80 and was able to use them with the new DSLR.
But I am fully satisfied with the camera .
I just had some test drives at home (pics of the cats) and at the Zoo before we went on holiday to South Africa in May .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/katydownunder/

It's said that the the battery of the Canon 350 D lasts for 270 pics and the battery of the Nikon D 70 makes easily 2000-2700 pics.Which is another point worth considering.
Andreas Cierpka wrote
Forget about the D70(s) and D50s. I use a D100 and if you realy want to make "professional" photos this is the camera you should go with.

That is a good point if you got the money….
And I think you can make fantastic pics with the D 70 (s) as well.Always bear in mind that the one behind the camera is making good photos, not the camera itself.I saw bad photos done with expensive cameras and brilliant photos made with a simple point and shoot camera.
It is still the question what you can afford.

In addition:
I got two 1 GB( that gives me 370-380 pics in RAW on each ) Hitachi Microdrives.
An extra battery (I did not need it once…)
And as a portable storage device a VOSONIC X- Drive VP 3310 with 60 GB.

Yes francoisd is right Meg has got the Nikon D 70 ( and great photos) just PM her.
My girlfriend just thinks about a DSLR.And here we are again :shock: .Making a decision wether to take the Nikon D 70s or the Canon 350 D. :?
She feels more comfortable with the Nikon because of the size ( she thinks the Canon is too small).And there still is the thing with the battery...We do not want to carry around 2 or 3 spare batteries.

Thanx DuQues for the link (usefull for me as well).
Here is another link
http://www.digicamfotos.de
(sorry just german but at least you can have a look at different test photos)
Just click on Testfoto on the left hand side .
Next step: Testfotos nach Herstellern and than you can select the type you want).

I know it is a hard decision.But I hope all the postings will a least help you a little bit.

Keep us updated about your decision and of course we would like to see the first results as well.
The Trip of a lifetime....
Our KTP Adventures November 2010

Andreas Cierpka
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Andreas Cierpka » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:53 pm

The standard Nikon Batteries are quite okay. I can make up to 800 pics before the battery runs flat but I'm using the extra battery grip.
If you switch off the LCD display it saves battery power.

The only thing I would never buy again in the multicharger from Nikon. The multicharger is able to hold 2 sets of batteries but charges them one after the other. The reason why I got it was the option to charge the batteries while driving. But there are a lot of chargers for a 10th of the nikon price.

I do use a 2GB extreme III and a 2GB (normal speed). I haven't recognized any speed difference. The 4GB extreme III doesn't work neither with the D100 nor the D70. Both cameras accept the card but format it down to a 2GB card (what a waste of money).

On the 2GB card I get up to 205 pics in RAW-Format.

Loams
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Loams » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:14 pm

Andreas Cierpka wrote:I do use a 2GB extreme III and a 2GB (normal speed). I haven't recognized any speed difference.

Andreas, I think the difference in speed you will notice only when shooting action photo's (rapid fire? When your camera is turned to the setting with the man running and you hold the button down and it takes lots of pics) With a normal speed memory card you will take four or five before the camera needs to stop because the memory is too busy. Also it depends on your camera as well.

bwana, I agree. Meg is a bad example to use for an argument about good pictures with a expensive camera because she is a phenomenal photographer and I am sure her pics will be just as good with a snap and shoot.
Operation "Duke" Member

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by madach » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:08 am

Salva wrote:Since friday I'm also a "DSLR-club member"....I can hardly wait to use it in Kruger in a few weeks. Sadly, I have close to no time left (busy at work) to practice before I leave.

Hmmmm, if I were you I'd make some time to practice. Although a DSLR is pretty much the same as an SLR it makes sense to familiarize yourself with the controls of your new camera. You don't want to miss opportunities while looking for controls, or menu settings, on your brand new camera (trust me: been there, done that).

It also makes sense to check out the low-light shooting capabilities of your DSLR. DSLRs are much more sensitive to light then normal film is. During the daytime 400ISO on your DSLR is roughly the same as using film, during low-light situations it's a whole different story. I for instance hardly ever use flash anymore while shooting on a nightdrive. I just set the sensitivity to 800ISO, set exposure to manual (and select an aperture and shutter speed) and use a spotlight for illuminating the scene. This setup would have been impossible using film, but it works fine using a DSLR. Low-light shooting is something you'll have to practice though, it takes some practice to get used to not using a flash.

You'll also have to decide if you're going to use RAW or JPEG mode. I won't start the discussion all over again, opions vary on this matter see this thread, but I always shoot in RAW mode. Just make sure that if you shoot in RAW mode that you have enough room to store the RAW files.

M

Andreas Cierpka
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Andreas Cierpka » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:16 am

Katja,

I do have the D70 and the D100. From my point of view the D100 is the better one. You do have more professional options in the setup.
On feature I do use at nightlight is the vibration reduction (don't the one from the VR lenses).

I did an bios upgrade to the D70s firmware but still you don't have the same features.

If you afford get the D100

bert

Unread post by bert » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:35 am

Andreas Cierpka wrote:Katja,

I do have the D70 and the D100. From my point of view the D100 is the better one. You do have more professional options in the setup.

If you afford get the D100

D100 is more professional
If you dare try for second hand. With the new 200D i suspect a few D100 on the market

Andreas Cierpka
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Andreas Cierpka » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:39 pm

Katja,

the D70 is more or less the same as the D70s. It's pure cosmetic changes made on the electronic etc. All the changes are invisible for you. Get the D70 to play around and then by the D70s.
It's a nice camera and a lot of people are getting on that track of DSLR.

I got mine D100 from them:
http://www.redcoon.de

They had a nice price (even if I'm thinking now on getting the D200). Check if they do shipping to Denmark but keep in mind you are going to to a bank transfer to Germany. At least from us to all other EU countries we will pay around 40 Euro for the transfer!

Katja
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Katja » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:26 pm

Just thought of another question: Will I be able to use all my Nikkor AF lenses with the D70s?

Sorry about asking stupid questions but I have no experience with digital SLRs. :redface:
KTP: October 2016
KNP: March 2017

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:38 pm

Yep! (At least, as far as I know.) With some of the very old MF lenses you may have a bit of trouble.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”