Lesson 6: Shutter Speed

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
clever dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lesson 6: Shutter Speed

Unread post by clever dog » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:36 am

[color=green]Lesson Six â€â€
One of the greatest victories you can gain over someone is to beat him at politeness.

"Inhabitant of Krugasia"

clever dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by clever dog » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:42 am

Can see there are still many "hits" for this subject. Good!
One of the greatest victories you can gain over someone is to beat him at politeness.

"Inhabitant of Krugasia"

bazzlewazzle

Unread post by bazzlewazzle » Thu May 22, 2008 10:03 am

right, so I've been playing with the ISO settings in different light conditions etc (haven't blown up the pics or viewed on PC yet). My next related question is about shutter speeds...

Firstly there was a 'rule' I read somewhere on here about the relationship between focal length being used and the shutter speed required, can somebody go over that again please.

I guess I'm asking when is the shutter speed too slow, and I'll loose some sharpness when shooting handheld or moving subject or both. I know I'll see the blur when it gets very slow but related to the previous posts about ISO settings I'm trying to pre-empt the need to change ISO settings if I can't see the slight blurring because I'm only looking at the cameras LCD.

Hope that all made sense, was definitely a bit jumbled, sorry :redface:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu May 22, 2008 10:23 am

The rule is for handheld, and simple, the shutterspeed should be 1/lenslenght or faster, so if you use a 200mm it would need to be 1/250, with a 400mm 1/500 and so on.

Tricky little thing to keep in mind is the cropfactor your digital has, a 400 mm lens on a 30D (cropfactor 1.6) acts as a 640 mm lens.... So play it safe!

Keep a watch out for high ISO's, depending on your camera at a certain ISO value the noise factor may become too high! Depends on the photo you're trying to make of course, if I see a leopard fighting a honeybadger on a nightdrive I'll go all the way!
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by madach » Thu May 22, 2008 10:25 am

The rule of thumb concerning shutter speeds is the following:

When taking a picture while not using a tripod try to use shutter speeds which are 1/focal lenght or faster. This means that if you're using a 300mm lens your shutterspeed should be equal to or faster than 1/300sec.

This rule of thumb was designed for anologue full frame cameras. Nowadays most DSLR cameras are not full frame. This means that the sensor used in the camera is smaller than a 35mm film negative (or slide). The effect of the smaller sensor is that the lens focal length is multiplied by a certain factor. This factor depends on the type of camera that you're using. For instance for a Canon 40D the factor is 1.6x while the factor for a 1D is 1.3x. This means that when you use a 300mm lens on a Canon 40D that the focal length you're working with is 480mm (300 x 1.6). The slowest shutter speed which you use when shooting handheld is thus 1/480 sec.

If you're using a camera with built-in image stabilisation, or a lens which is image stabilised then the "handholdable" shutterspeeds can be 2 stops slower. For the last example this means that instead of a shutterspeed of 1/480 sec a shutter speed of 1/120sec could be used.

If you keep this all in mind then you'll know when to switch to another ISO level. When you're for instance shooting handheld at 100ISO using a non image stabilised 300mm lens on a 40D and the shutterspeeds that you're getting are slower than 1/480 sec then you'll need to switch to a higher ISO level. If you switch from 100ISO to 200ISO then the shutter speed will halve. In other words if the shutterspeed is 1/250sec at 100ISO then it will become 1/500sec at 200ISO.

Check these links on my website for more info: ISO value and Aperture vs shutterspeed.

bazzlewazzle

Unread post by bazzlewazzle » Thu May 22, 2008 8:30 pm

so with my 40D 70-200 f2.8 and 2x converter I shouldn't have the shutter speed slower than 1/640sec. if fully zoomed?

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by madach » Fri May 23, 2008 7:50 am

Yes, if you're shooting handheld then your shutterspeed should be 1/640sec or faster. If you want to use slower shutterspeeds that you'll have to use either a tripod or a beanbag.

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by madach » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:59 pm

Your impression is 100% correct, a bean bag is one of the most essential items to take with you :wink:

To freeze motion of mammals you'll need shutterspeeds of 1/250sec or faster. For birds you'll need 1/500sec or faster (preferrably faster). Use the ISO setting if shutterspeeds are too low. On your 40D you can set 400ISO without compromising image quality.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”