Skip to Content

Photo Theme: Stars

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Wild-doc

Unread post by Wild-doc » Wed May 16, 2007 11:38 am

After looking at Madach's pic's from Augrabies, I thought it a good idea to bump this topic up the list.

One can create stunning visual effects by doing long exposure photography at night.
Like previously stated secure your camera on a tripod, bean bag etc. Open up your aperture to the largest setting/ smallest number. If your camera has a noise reduction setting turn it on.Set it to bulb mode, ( you must use a cable release for this one )

Compose your shot, try putting in a solitary tree or some rocks in the foreground, something that you think might be visually pleasing. Now press the cable release and lock it.

The time of exposure is all dependant on you, ie have one glass of OB's or one bottle. If the foreground contained said rock's/ tree etc and you think that it might need some highlighting try shining a not to strong torch on them for a second or so just before closing the lens.

Nice places for doing these star trial's
Augrabies
Olifants(KNP)
Golden gate NP
And anywhere really where you have very Little artificial lighting around.

So come on, give it a try and post your results here.

LaeveldLeeu

Unread post by LaeveldLeeu » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:52 am

Hi Wild-Doc

I also tried some star trails recently and this is how my first attempt looks like

bucky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bucky » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:38 pm

Heres some of static stars .

I think I must practice some of these , do you guys leave the cam on a tripod out in the open or something :lol: .

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:46 pm

Tripod and Bulb mode. Leave it open for 45-60 minutes, pointed at the pole. (North or south, depending on the place on the globe you are.)

Set the custom option to remove noise, but remember that the camera will need just as long as your exposure was!

And don't worry about walking in front of the lens, that lasts a second, and your exposure time is way longer.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by madach » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:17 pm

If you like star trail pictures then take a look at this website. This guy is the guru of star trail photography as far as I'm concerned. His pictures were the reason I tried my hand at star trails.

Hibiscus

Lesson ;-)

Unread post by Hibiscus » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:28 pm

I just put the tripod in a dark place (usually behind the campervan) and set it to "bulb." Also set "noise reduction." Pointed the camera roughly towards the Southern Cross.

Left the lens open for about 30-45 minutes, usually until the battery was empty, as I didn't use a new one, but the one that was inside at the moment, half or quarter full.

Did one or two "star-trails-photography-experiments" every night until the moon appeared, then it got too light and I had to stop.

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

AstroPhotography

Unread post by NightOwl » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:14 pm

I recently took up a new hobby... AstroPhotography. Decided to try it out for the first time while in Kruger. Had 5 nights at Punda Maria, which would have been perfect, except that the weather and clouds did not play with. Then we moved on to Satara (Where we're camping now). And experimented 2 nights with this new Hobby to be.
Here's our 1'st attempt at it:
I was amazed at the results that we got, and that without a telescope...
Equipment I used:
Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 300 f/2.8L
Equatorial Mount + Synscan Goto Kit
Acer Aspire 9810 Laptop (For remote capture)

Not bad for a NON-Astronomer, I think :D

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: AstroPhotography

Unread post by NightOwl » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:59 pm

Here's our second attempt at it:

Now I've got to catch up on some sleep, before I attempt another night at it. These late nights AstroPhotography and then early morning game drives are taking it's toll on me. Hope there's also as little light pollution in Lower Sabie, Skukuza & Pretoriuskop as here at Satara. Still have 18 nights to play with my Astro set up :dance:
Oops, minus 2 nights for the Cricket at Skukuza :wall: Nearly forgot to work that into the equation...

Hibiscus

Unread post by Hibiscus » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:51 pm

Beautiful! How long did you expose? (30 seconds or so? The stars haven't "moved" much...) And I suppose you just left it open at 2.8?

Never thought this was possible with 300 mm only. Have to try it when I'm in Kruger in May. I can see sleepless nights ;-)

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NightOwl » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:19 pm

Hibiscus: The stars didn't move, because I used a tracking mount. It counters the rotation of the earth.
SS 60 Seconds
F-stop 2.8
ISO 6400

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NightOwl » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:29 pm

Took the kit out to Mountain Zebra in a FREEZING -3 degrees celsius and took these... Was to cold to take any more.

M8 & M20 Nebula in the Milkyway:

M8 Lagoon Nebula:

M20 Trifid Nebula:

Stacked 10 Images in Photoshop and noise reduced with Noiseware.

Kit used was again:
Canon 5D Mark II Camera
Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens
Equatorial Mount with Goto unit

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”