Photo Theme: Stars

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Stars

Unread postby bert » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:28 pm

Hi
Tried my hand at the starfilled sky to create the movement of the earth. Not a very good one but fun to do. If yr camera has a timer and y can open the lens for as long as y want try your hand at this. Position yr lens to the sky. Open the lens at night and close it again in the dark.(Pity u only get a few opportunities.) Once every night :D Did it at Bateleur camp
If you dont have a tripod y can place yr camera on a dustbin, wall etc.

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:12 pm

How long to get a pic like that Bert? 6 hours? Very, very interesting and thanks for the tip, I will try it on my next trip away from the city which will most likely be to KNP!

bert

Unread postby bert » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:36 pm

DinkyBird wrote:How long to get a pic like that Bert? 6 hours? Very, very interesting and thanks for the tip, I will try it on my next trip away from the city which will most likely be to KNP!

From 22.00 till 06.00.

Wild-doc

Unread postby Wild-doc » Wed May 16, 2007 11:38 am

After looking at Madach's pic's from Augrabies, I thought it a good idea to bump this topic up the list.

One can create stunning visual effects by doing long exposure photography at night.
Like previously stated secure your camera on a tripod, bean bag etc. Open up your aperture to the largest setting/ smallest number. If your camera has a noise reduction setting turn it on.Set it to bulb mode, ( you must use a cable release for this one )

Compose your shot, try putting in a solitary tree or some rocks in the foreground, something that you think might be visually pleasing. Now press the cable release and lock it.

The time of exposure is all dependant on you, ie have one glass of OB's or one bottle. If the foreground contained said rock's/ tree etc and you think that it might need some highlighting try shining a not to strong torch on them for a second or so just before closing the lens.

Nice places for doing these star trial's
Augrabies
Olifants(KNP)
Golden gate NP
And anywhere really where you have very Little artificial lighting around.

So come on, give it a try and post your results here.

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby madach » Wed May 16, 2007 12:37 pm

Here are some of my shots:

Augrabies

Hluhluwe

I'll post some more from KTP tonight

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby madach » Thu May 17, 2007 10:58 am

Here are some more star trails which I shot in KTP last month. Conditions were not perfect for star trails as there were scattered clouds every night and there were thinderstorms in Botswana every night (clearly visible in the first picture) but still these have turned out reasonably.

View from honeymoon tent at KTC

KTP sign at Twee Rivieren

View of the Botswana borderpost at Twee Rivieren

LaeveldLeeu

Unread postby LaeveldLeeu » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:52 am

Hi Wild-Doc

I also tried some star trails recently and this is how my first attempt looks like

bucky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bucky » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:38 pm

Heres some of static stars .

I think I must practice some of these , do you guys leave the cam on a tripod out in the open or something :lol: .

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby DuQues » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:46 pm

Tripod and Bulb mode. Leave it open for 45-60 minutes, pointed at the pole. (North or south, depending on the place on the globe you are.)

Set the custom option to remove noise, but remember that the camera will need just as long as your exposure was!

And don't worry about walking in front of the lens, that lasts a second, and your exposure time is way longer.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

dianne
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby dianne » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:05 pm

Hi Star Gazers and Moon Watchers

I though this would be an appropriate place to say-great theme and pics-and also don't forget about this months Blue Moon

We'll have monthly updates on the phases of the moon online from now on :-)

Will be great to illusrate this with some of your pics.

And now I'll let the topic continue before a mod jumps me-nicely of course :wink:

Dianne
Dianne Tipping-Woods

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby madach » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:17 pm

If you like star trail pictures then take a look at this website. This guy is the guru of star trail photography as far as I'm concerned. His pictures were the reason I tried my hand at star trails.

Hibiscus

Lesson ;-)

Unread postby Hibiscus » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:28 pm

I just put the tripod in a dark place (usually behind the campervan) and set it to "bulb." Also set "noise reduction." Pointed the camera roughly towards the Southern Cross.

Left the lens open for about 30-45 minutes, usually until the battery was empty, as I didn't use a new one, but the one that was inside at the moment, half or quarter full.

Did one or two "star-trails-photography-experiments" every night until the moon appeared, then it got too light and I had to stop.

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

AstroPhotography

Unread postby NightOwl » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:14 pm

I recently took up a new hobby... AstroPhotography. Decided to try it out for the first time while in Kruger. Had 5 nights at Punda Maria, which would have been perfect, except that the weather and clouds did not play with. Then we moved on to Satara (Where we're camping now). And experimented 2 nights with this new Hobby to be.
Here's our 1'st attempt at it:
I was amazed at the results that we got, and that without a telescope...
Equipment I used:
Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 300 f/2.8L
Equatorial Mount + Synscan Goto Kit
Acer Aspire 9810 Laptop (For remote capture)

Not bad for a NON-Astronomer, I think :D

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”