South African Meets 2009

Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

South African Meets 2009

Unread post by Batmad »

The time has come where forumies should meet each other again!

I want to try make this one of the biggest meets Gauteng forum members have had!

Even if you are in springs or benoni even if you are in pretoria please try and make this meet!!! :pray: We want to set a record here and have as much fun as possible!!!

Place-MM's club house
Time-3:30PM for 4:00PM
Date-15 February (Sunday)

Everyone welcome!!
Last edited by Batmad on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
Tour Leader for Birding Ecotours | Aspiring Conservationist | Birdventurer
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Gauteng MEGA Meet - 15 Feb 2009 - Northgate

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

I am going to throw in a bit of a suggestion here and if its impractical, or too late, or just not feasable I am happy to be :sniper:

I have attended many, many meets, some big and some micro mini. My experience has been that once the crowd gets too big, restuarants just don't work that well.

If there is music, and/or many people, we have had to shout to be heard. At one meet, I arrived starving, but by the time the food arrived, I was nauseaus from the din of music, shouting and trying to concentrate above the latest "techno cr :whistle: '

There is also little mingling, meaning that you often miss out on really talking to people and getting to enjoy the meeing to it's max. I have often left frustrated because of missing out on chatting to someone who I had really wanted to get to know better.

I am making a suggestion that we seek a venue that is less restricted in terms of seating, definately has no music to act as competition and has a pleasant atmosphere.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Gauteng MEGA Meet - 15 Feb 2009 - Northgate

The clubhouse is available to all people living in our complex.
It has a fair sized, closed off, swimming pool area... for those who are concerned about small children.
It has a tennis court, looking rather wet at the moment.
There is a childrens playground and fairly nice sized green lawns to play on.
There are toilets in the clubhouse, a bar area (not stocked, you would have to bring your own). There are 3 very good sized long pub tables, each capable of seating about 10 people.
The outside patio area has about 8 smaller iron garden tables with chairs, a pizza oven and a braai area.

There is enough parking in the complex for visitors and there are permanent guards at the gates. The gates can only be opened by the guards.

If we used the clubhouse, we would have to bring our own stuff and picnic, or braai. Down side is that it might be a bit of work for some people. We could also just have a buffet luppa where each person brings a plate of eats.
Downside is, no ready meal, upside is, less cost.

Anyway, think about it. It is another possibility.
I am going to try to see if I can find a photo among my daughter's pictures.
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Gauteng MEGA Meet - 15 Feb 2009 - NB note new venue!

If you would like a braai and if there are a couple of people who are willing to come a little earlier to help get thing started, (I am useless at braaing) :redface: I could get everything going. I that way we won't have to wait too long to eat, for those who might not have a lots of time.

It would also mean the DB can start talking the minute she arrives and not have to worry about the "domestic" stuff. :lol:

We have the most stunning butchery down the road that sells some of the best boerrie that I have ever tasted in my life. He also has certain specialitities. One of my favourites is "scotch fillet". It's a cheaper cut of meat, sirlion, I think, marinaded in his special marinade with herbs and then wrapped in bacon. He also has the normal steaks, chops and.. and... and..

I would be happy to take in your preferances and work out a budget.

Then the other question would be, do you want braaied onions and potatoes or pap and MM's wicked tomato and onion/chakalaka sauce.

I also live quite close to Fournos bakery that sells some of the most wonderful German rolls.

For the vegematerians there is woolies round the corner where I can get some bread and butter. :wink:

I could also make a couple of salads and maybe we could have something simple like icecream cones for dessert. (Ice cream cones don't need plates to wash).

Everyone could bring their own drinks.
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Birding for beginners in the Cape-February 2009

Unread post by Bush Baptist »

I am planning a birding outing on Saturday Afternoon, 21th Feb, at Paarl Bird Sanctuary. If you are not into birding and would like to start, or you have seen a few, come and join us. It will be geared for novices. Nobody need be put off by lack of knowledge.
If you are likely to come, please reply via this thread. If you have knowledge and are willing to share it, you are also welcome.
BTW, the Stormers play on the Friday....
Whatever : "You are right but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Latest lifers: Red-rumped Swallow, Red Phalarope, Purple Gallinule, Chukar Partridge, Australasian Gannet, Brown Booby

Latest World Lifer: White tailed eagle
Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Gauteng MEGA Meet - 15 Feb 2009 - NB New venue!

Unread post by Batmad »

Forumites in for the meet.......

1-DB
2-Hawk
3-Batmad and Parents
4-Pjw
5-Meandering mouse
6-JenB
7-Davenjan
8-Cherries
9-Imax and His little angel
10-Dotdan (maybe)
11-Ndloti
12-DB's Surprise guest's!
13-Gerhardb
14-RobertT
15-Jaco V and Reinette -Plus 2 little ones
16-Joekin and babeee
17-Bahamut and GF
18-Vlekkie
19-Chirinda
20-Yolande (maybe)
21-Mads
22-Sharifa
23-Moegaai
24-Tshukudu & SO
25-Cheetera
26-Babe1
27-Quickie
28-Onewithnature
29-sarabi

I wonder who DB's special guest's are :hmz:
Tour Leader for Birding Ecotours | Aspiring Conservationist | Birdventurer
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Gauteng MEGA Meet - 15 Feb 2009 - NB New venue!

This is my beeeeg thank you

What a lovely day :D but without the goodwill of everyone and the help of some very able and special people, it would not have gone off as well as it did.

My first thank you is to some one who was not even there.
Muhammed donated a very generous collection of gifts for a lucky draw. He did suggest that Batmad be given something, as he has been such asset to the forum.
It was decided between a group of busy little :angel: :angel: :angel: that Batmad should receive a quality Leatherman. Enjoy it, Batmad, you deserve it.
It was also decided that the lovely pair of binoculars be donated to the rangers, as they had sent out an SOS about their critical shortage.
That left a lovely tool set, one even MM would have :dance: :dance: for and 2 quality camping mugs for our draw on the day.
DB and Zaks did explain the sitation about the binos and everyone seemed very happy with the idea.

A beeeg thank you to Sharifa and SO another Muhommed. I would never have managed without you. Not only that, you went way beyond the requirements asked.
Your Briyani was to die for, the chocolate pudding goes beyond words. Most of all though, you both just ably and willingly set about making this a success.
You might not have noticed, but at some point, my son appeared like a shadow, took one look at the pudding, dived in and disappeared like a shadow.
He was still sitting with a big smile his face hours later.

Cherries
you came in and transformed the place from an empty room to a happy setting. You also brought such a cheerful attitude, that the room just lit up.

Ndloti
for your prearranging of furniture and helping with the braai. I certainly know that had you not been there, I would have been eating some very spicy cinders.

Zaks, DB and Hawk it was very special to have you around bringing your unique brand of hospitality. Zaks, now you have really entered the heart of the Gauties home.

To the Ratpack for their life and enthusiasm. Great to see you guys there. Now I am really looking forward to the forumdales :wink:

To everyone for their goodwill and friendliness. The oldies took in the newbies and by hometime, it was smiles all around.

Lets give ourselves a round of applause.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Birding for rank beginners in the Cape

Unread post by Bush Baptist »

A great afternoon.

Birds seen (37) were

Cisticola Levaillant’s
Coot Red knobbed
Cormorant Reed
Cormorant White chested
Crake Black
Darter
Duck Yellow billed
Egret Cattle
Egret Little
Gallinule Purple (Swamphen)

Goose Egyptian
Goose Spurwinged
Grebe Little (Dabchick)
Guineafowl Helmeted
Gull Hartlaub’s
Harrier African Marsh
Heron Black headed
Ibis Sacred
Kingfisher Malachite
Kite Yellow billed

Lapwing Blacksmith (Plover)
Martin Brown throated
Moorhen
Plover Three banded
Prinia Karoo
Robin-chat Cape
Sandpiper Common
Shoveler Cape
Starling Eurasian
Stilt Black winged

Swallow White throated
Teal Cape
Teal Red billed
Teal Hottentot
Tern White winged
Wagtail Cape
Warbler African reed
Whatever : "You are right but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Latest lifers: Red-rumped Swallow, Red Phalarope, Purple Gallinule, Chukar Partridge, Australasian Gannet, Brown Booby

Latest World Lifer: White tailed eagle
DinkyBird

Re: Gauteng MEGA Meet - 15 Feb 2009

Unread post by DinkyBird »

All the Rats got a special hug!

On left of pic, two Rats (Bahamut and Gerharddb) ... a Rats SO and then Babe1 and our secret weapon for the Cricket

Chirinda

Yolandé, Kathy sa and Les, JanDave

Cheetera, JenB, Tshukude, Batmad's dad, Batmad, Mad's friend, Sharifa and Mohammed

Imax and Moegaai

Garharddb and his SO, Pardus1029, Joekin, Onewithnature

Mads, Ndloti and Quikie and mom are those not id'd in other pics

Batmad!!

- Dalene
cheetera

Next Meet 4 April 2009 - Gauteng. Be there!

Unread post by cheetera »

hello everyone, i would just like to remind and inform you of the meet on th 5 April 2009. It will be hosted at our house and directions will be given prior to the time, im really looking forward to seeing you all there as this is the first meet i have planned myself. :dance:

What to bring:
Own picnic baskets, you can bring meat to as there will be a braai, if you could just bring your own wood, plates cultlery and drinks aswell.
salad will be supplied
:mrgreen:

hope to see you all there :pray: :mrgreen: :thumbs_up:
cheetera

Re: Next Meet 4 April 2009(gauteng-centurion)

Unread post by cheetera »

I have decided to change the dates from the 5th to the 4th of April, i hope it fits in with everyone plans. If you want you can bring your tent along and pitch it up we have lots of space and 3 bathrooms so if you are to tired or scared to drive home after the meet just bring your tent along and you can stay over
Tshukudu
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Next Meet 5 April 2009

Unread post by Tshukudu »

Just come across this post. I see it is at my house - Thanks Cheetera.
Anytime from 14h00 onward is fine. :dance:
Spokie, I hope your car is sorted and can join us for the weekend.
Jannie said he could possibly make it as well.(Is that the oke that can't catch :D )

Attendees so far

Cheetera
Babe1
Dafie
Tshukudu
Charms
Batmad - Hopefully Mom and Dad as well
rroundtr
ndloti
scipio - Scorpion & kids ????????????

Come on guys we live on a 1 hectare plot, it's not that scary unless you dont like snakes or riding my pig :twisted:
Maybe we could get the nannies and forumdales that are available to give us another show.
Like Cheetera said , there is plenty of place available.
GPS co-ordinates are:
S 25° 53.817' E 028° 03.521'

Hope to see a lot more mites attending :yaya:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Next Meet 4 April 2009 - Gauteng. Be there!

Unread post by ndloti »

JenB wrote:Ndloti :naughty:
You are not supposed to feed the animals!

I had no choice this time , we allmost waded through the grass , so tall it is after exceptional rains in Tshokwane area (and further south ?)
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.
Tshukudu
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tshukudu »

Jo the road is only 450m long on dirt, the rest is tar - any little car can make it. :D
I dont know who all is sleeping over, but as cheetera said there is plenty of place.
If anyone needs directions, please pm me your email address and I will get a map mailed to you.
I am still wondering about the other forumdales who promised to make an appearance :evil:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
AlanPollock

Unread post by AlanPollock »

Thank you for a fantastic evening Tshukudu and Cheetera, it has to rank amongst one of the best evenings that I have spent, what a lovely home that you have, and thank you for sharing it with us. A special thanks to the Braaiers :) .

Sorry Matthys, we all seem to have forgotten our cameras.
The Otter Trail cancelled - family did not get down to paying deposit, will try again next year!