Skip to Content

Mokala: Scenery

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Jakkalsbessie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Mokala: Haak-en Steek Camp

Unread post by Jakkalsbessie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:44 am

Sticks asked in another topic for photos of Lillydale camp (wich we unfortunately did not visit) and i then realised that there is no topics on accommodation in Mokala, in fact not many topics on Mokala at all

So have decided to start a few

The rustic cottage and its lapa:

Camping ground:

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
Please help save Mapungubwe NP - Facebook page

Jakkalsbessie

Re: Mokala: Haak-en Steek Camp

Unread post by Jakkalsbessie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:49 am

Dam in front of the camp

View from the bed

Kitchen

Main bedroom

2nd bedroom

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Jakkalsbessie

Mokala: Mosu lodge

Unread post by Jakkalsbessie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:51 am

Mosu lodge

Reception

Some interesting names for the units

Jumbo & Stoffel i know you guys have some nice pics of Mosu lodge... please post them here

Jakkalsbessie

Mokala: Scenery

Unread post by Jakkalsbessie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:55 am

Jakkalsbessie

Re: Mokala: Scenery

Unread post by Jakkalsbessie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:58 am

The main gate

Johann
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Johann » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:18 pm

Two panoramas I stitched together during our visit to Mokala.

Please note that when clicking on the thumbnail a large image will open. These large images are both in excess of 2MB.

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Subavan

Re: Mokala: Haak-en Steek Camp

Unread post by Subavan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:20 pm

I took these two photos from the stoep at Haak & Steek

Nico
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Mokala, Spectacular Buffalo Fight [VIDEO]

Unread post by Nico » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:11 am

Mokala Spectacular Buffalo fight. Early in the mornig, we saw some big Buffalo bull,s fighting. I good only film the last part but that one was amazing as you will see in this video. :

Last edited by Nico on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nico
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Mokala, a great park! {video}

Unread post by Nico » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:57 pm

A little video that I made in Mokala National Park. Beautiful wildlife and amazing nature. We had a great time and next year we will be there again.

Kalaharikind

Mokala - The jewel in SANparks crown. Pictures .......

Unread post by Kalaharikind » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:52 pm

I have been to Mokala this past weekend and what a big surprised did I get. This is defiantly the jewel in the Sanparks crown.

Let me start with the roads - We drove there in my wife's Toyota Conquest and the road to the park’s main gate were in a very-very good condition and the roads in the park were even better. The car is very low and not even once did it touch a middle man.

We camped at Haak en Steek and the camp sites are awesome with a wonderful view on the waterhole and everything was exceptionally clean and tidy. All the camp sites were booked and not even once did we have to queue at the ablutions. The camp sites could have been spaced out a little bit more. We saw allot of game at the waterhole and they were very relaxed and seemingly used to people.

The staffs at Moshu reception were the friendliest I have seen in a long time, they made us feeling very welcome and greeted us like old friends. Thanks for the juice, after a hot day on the road it did wonders to refresh us. They were very help full and the visa card machine was not working and they went out of their way to help us. Thanks again guys.

Everything at the camp was very tidy and the lawns are well kept. The staff is very friendly and eager to help. We had a wonderful swim before lunch in the restaurant after Susan (restaurant manageress) lended me her ski pants to swim in. Thanks Susan, you must start a swim pants hiring service. We had lunch in the restaurant and again the service was excellent and the food was to die for. I had the venison pie and gravy and it was very delish. I can recommend it strongly.

I think this park is very under rated and it reminds me of Kgalagadi 10 years ago. Hein is doing something right in this park. I would really love an overnight hiking trail in this beautiful park. A mailing list with all the previous visitors on it will do well in promoting the park with a monthly newsletter that can inform us of all the happenings and promotions in the park.

I will defiantly be back next month, thanks for everything guys and keep up the good work.
The picture quality is not so good , I took them with my Blackberry

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Mokala - The jewel in SANparks crown. Pictures .......

Unread post by Stoffel » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:20 pm

After 3 previous day visits I had the opportunity to stay over in Mokala for 2 nights - 16 & 17 January 2010. We had one of the so-called luxury en-suite chalets (self-catering). Mosu Lodge originally only had 2 of these units, but due to high demand 3 of the "rooms" have been changed to self-catering units. The latter looks somewhat different from the original 2 self-catering units, but do have one or two plus points. Firstly they are equipped with nice big double-door fridge/freezers, while the older two units only have a small bar fridge which is not really suitable for self-catering purposes - especially with no shop nearby to fill up on provisions. But the older two units have the most magnificent view while the newer ones do not have that luxury. I must say that I found the fact that you have to park your vehicle in the parking area in front of Reception, and "carry" your belongings to your unit, a bit unsatisfactory. We had a lot of luggage and we had to do two loads with the provided (very uncomfortable) trolleys. But for the rest, Mosu is a magnificent place to stay.

Here's our unit (No 2 - Duiker).

A few photos of the inside of the self-catering unit (taken on a previous day visit when I was allowed to go and have a look at the units).

The lawns at Mosu Lodge are well-manicured.

We were lucky to see many buffaloes on quite a few occasions.

And Roan.

And Sable.

On one of my previous day visits I was given permission to go and have a look at Haak-en-Steek camp as there was nobody staying. The self-catering chalet has since been painted in a darker colour to mach with the red soil.

The ablutions for the five camp sites are simple but neat. One toilet and one shower each for the men and the ladies.

The 5 camp sites are situated amongst Haak-en-Steek trees.

In the new brochure we received at reception it is mentioned about the new "Motswedi campsite is a unique camping spot that will have its own ablution facilities and overlooks a splendid waterhole.

I have visited most National Parks in South Africa. And everyone is unique. And most of them have wonderful friendly personnel. But Mokala's personnel has set a standard to be strived for by other parks. Elsa Heyns (at Reception) is the most friendly, considerate, helpful person I have ever come upon in any park. I already dropped SANParks' head office an e-mail about this warm and charming lady.

Mokala will surely see me again.
Chris Boucher
26 Apr - 1 May Karoo
5 - 11 May - Punda Maria
12 - 18 May - Shingwedzi
19 - 25 May - Tsendze
26 - 28 May - Letaba
29 May - 5 June - Satara
6 - 12 June - Lower Sabie
16 - 19 June - Addo

Nico
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nico » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:39 pm

Mokala July 2011. Great place to be with lots of wildlife!

Nico
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nico » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:48 pm

Mokala's greatest place to be is Haak & Steek with his Waterhole and Wildlife. 8)

Video Haak & Steek:

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:36 pm

The new Motswedi Camp.

This camp consists of 6 camp sites, each with their own private ablution and kitchen. There is no electricity, gas and solar geysers are used.

The view over the waterhole from the most left campsite (no 1):

Looking back to the left (facing the waterhole) of the camp.

The private ablutions/kitchen with solar geysers. Two ablutions/kitchens to a building.

A gas fridge and cooker top is provided.

Sunset over the camp - pic taken with my phone ;)
Sawubona
Dalene

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Haak en Steek camp. One can camp here for R95 a night. There is no electricity and the camp is not fenced. Another camp perfect for those who love to really get away from it all.

This camp is situated on a waterhole.

The waterhole:
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “Arid Parks”