Tsitsikamma: ADVICE

Knysna, Tsitsikamma, Wilderness

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Caracal
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Caracal »

Hello Pink Nosed Penguin and welcome to the forum..
I am also confused after reading your post....according to my geography that I learnt at school...which was a very long time ago..Tsitsikamma falls in a region of South Africa that pretty much gets rain throughout the year. Having said that the weather here in SA is most unpredictable. Yes we are having really bad weather in Cape Town at the moment...I am wearing jackets and scarves now...but the other day I was wearing just a shirt and I was quite warm enough. I have stayed in the forest cabins and in a chalet in Storms River , Tsitsikamma in November and in May. Both times it rained but it was not so cold. Not so sure how many whales and dolphons you will see though because I think they are more prevelant in September and October. I suspect July /August could be pretty much between seasons. It could be cold...it could be warm . I think you have to be prepared for both. Either way Tsitsikamma is a really beautiful place and you will enjoy it!!All the accommodation is great in Tsitsikamma..it all depends on how many people you are and what would suit you best.
PinkNosedPenguin

Unread post by PinkNosedPenguin »

Thanks Michele - I'm hoping your winter 'really bad weather' will be relatively pleasant by our (UK) standards - currently over here we are having max temps of only 16C and its very wet - and don't forget this is our summer!
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist »

Hi PNP,

You will definitely feel at home in those temperatures!

As Michele says, it could be variable. We get this by westerly cold fronts from time to time, but about 3 days after one has passed through, it can be very pleasant until the next one brings the cold and rain.
Whatever : "You are right but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Latest lifers: Red-rumped Swallow, Red Phalarope, Purple Gallinule, Chukar Partridge, Australasian Gannet, Brown Booby

Latest World Lifer: White tailed eagle
Jay
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jay »

hiya PNP,

have been to Tsitsikamma a few times, and each time with the storms, it's beautiful: the sea is wild and awesome, I LOVED it :wink:
JojoMadrid

Chalet Question

Unread post by JojoMadrid »

Hey All,

I am brand spanking new on the list and will be spending 3 days in a chalet at Storms River- end of September. This will be my first trip to SA. My husband is an SA national and chose Tsitsikamma as one of the 'must see' places during our stay.

Unfortunately, we were unable to get anything but chalet 2SZ. I know this is a handicap accessible chalet and must be near to the parking, etc... I am hoping we will still have a decent view from our porch.

Please let me know what you think! I know, either way, we will enjoy the scenery and make sure we have a great time.

Thanks,

Joanne
Write Your Own Life Story
Caracal
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Caracal »

Hi Jojomadrid and welcome to the forum. :clap:
I have stayed at Storms river a few times but mostly in the cabins. It seems to me that all the chalets have lovely views though :lol: ...I am sure you will enjoy...I hope you have a spectacular sunset like a did....
Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha »

Welcome Jojomadrid,
I agree with Michele, all the cabins have a great view. Be sure to get up early and search for the otters as well as the bushbuck that come and graze in the evenings, right infront of the chalets.

ENJOY!
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist »

There is no guarantee that you will see otters Jojo.
Whatever : "You are right but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Latest lifers: Red-rumped Swallow, Red Phalarope, Purple Gallinule, Chukar Partridge, Australasian Gannet, Brown Booby

Latest World Lifer: White tailed eagle
restio
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by restio »

Unlike the ones in Monterey. I have wonderful memories of watching them frolicking in the sea - and we were only there for a few hours. :D
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
schalk

How safe is Nature’s Valley Beach

Unread post by schalk »

My family and I will be staying at the Nature’s Valley Rest Camp at the end of September. We plan on spending time at the beach 2km’s from the Rest Camp and also taking the rowboats from the river in-front of the forest huts to the mouth.

Firstly, is the Nature’s Valley Beach safe? Should I be expecting violent armed robberies? Are there frequent attacks at the beach?

Is there any areas/places surrounding Natures Valley that we should stay away from?

How safe is rowing on the river/lagoon both in terms of possible currents and nasty critters?

Thanks
Seahorse

Tsitsikamma mouth trail

Unread post by Seahorse »

Tsitsikamma mouth trail

popo Scott and I had a good look at the Mouth trail after the fire.
The first half of the trail,up to the turnoff to Kerneels se baai,is fine and in good condition.
Unfortunately the second section suffered tremendous damage due to a very intense fire that ran along the trailbed as far as the suspension bridge and the steps leading to the jetty giving access to the boat.
The fire was so hot that it destroyed a number of the old trees along the trail. It also damaged the structure of the rocky areas above the trail, making the area less safe for the forseeable future.
Active rehabilitation of the destroyed area is probably the only way to restore the section to its former beauty.
It is indeed a sad day to see this fantastic walk in such a sad state.
The jetty and suspension bridge is not presently accessable, but there is hope that an alternative way of accessing the Stormsriver gorge is possible.
I know that all possibilities are being explored at the moment.
Peet Joubert
Park Manager (Knysna)
Henk
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: How safe is Nature’s Valley Beach

Unread post by Henk »

How safe is Nature’s Valley Beach

The area is very safe. Me and my family goes to Natures Valley every year and never had any trouble.You only need to be aware of the sea itself. There is a very strong current and you need to be careful when swimming in the sea. Try to swim where other people swim. The lagoon is very safe and nice to swim in, specially for kids
Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Senyetse »

I agree with Henk. The area is pretty safe. Just follow the normal precautions - be vigilant, don't carry valuables or lots of money, etc.

Unless the river is in flood its pretty safe and is quite shallow.
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal
Jazil
Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere

Unread post by Jazil »

I agree with Henk and Senyetse.

I was there about three weeks ago, the mouth was closed so the lagoon was very very full.

As a child we used to holiday at Natures Valley every Christmas for about 20 years, the lagoon was always safe, and wonderful for children. Only when the mouth first opens after being closed for a long time is there a reasonably strong current but that is only near the mouth.

Swimming in the sea is not that safe there though, there are horrible currents so just be aware, and dont go too far out.

Enjoy it there. Its a wonderful wonderful place.
Don't forget to PM any Mod your Kudu nominations for the month.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.
HoepHoep
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by HoepHoep »

Just returned from Stormsrivermouth. The pathway to the suspension bridge will not be completed by April. They are not only replacing what was lost, but is actually planning a new route to the existing suspension bridge that will include 2 new bridges. Part of the mountain slope near the bridge is so unstable that they cannot reconstruct the path there with safety, thus the new route.
The boat rides are operating again, weather permitting, and is actually more fun as it departs from a new temporary jetty at the restaurant and include a stretch over the ocean to the suspension bridge. It still continuous towards the bat cave. The price still R40-00!
One can still do part of the walk towards the suspension bridge and then there are still the Loerie and Blouduiker trails as well as the walk to the waterfall (first part of the Otter trail.)

Stormsrivermouth still remains the most beautiful place on earth, even if you can't walk. The sound of the ocean alone make this a remarkable place, even for a blind person. The way the waves can sometimes really break with a crashing sound is memorable. I can listen to this even if you can't see it, it still remains wonder full. I am just so thank full that I can actually see it as well. The waves breaking over the rocks are spectacular, to say the least.

Ossie. please don't let the river mouth walk, or lack thereof, influence your decision to visit this special place.
Last edited by HoepHoep on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Creator is bigger than His creation!

My latest trip report to Addo during June 2009:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34300