Table Mountain NP - Activities

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

DirkD

Re: Table Mountain NP - Activities

Unread post by DirkD »

Yesterday the wife and I hiked the Smuts Track from Kirstenburg Gardens, with guidance from a local. Slow but steady going up the gorge and over the ladders. Lots of debris from the storm along the way. The well-marked trail ended abruptly shortly after the final ladder. We searched awhile for a path forward; but found none, and concluded the trail had been blocked by the obvious storm damage. So near the top, we reluctantly and laboriously reversed down the slippery ladders and rocks. Near the base we encountered a friendly local, who told us the "trail" follows the water before emerging on the opposite (right) bank. We saw no evidence of that and wonder whether he may be surprised at the storm damage. The water was gushing where the trail ended, and negotiating the stream at that point would have resulted in a soaking at the least, and rough going beyond our capabilities. If indeed the hiker is meant to leave the trail and slosh up the Gorge, there ought to be some signage or marking at that point, and would appreciate advance heads-up to wear boots and waterproof gear. We expected a rigorous walk but not a swim. High expectations and considerable effort; and then backing ignominiously down the mountain in disgust. The hiker we saw encouraged us to give it another go; but we were frustrated and it was getting later in the day. Next time I suppose we will shell out for the expensive map?
mfairbank

Cape of Good Hope Trail

Unread post by mfairbank »

Hello, I am planning a trip to Cape Town and would like to hike the Cape of Good Hope overnight trail and stay at one of the huts at the far end. This is described on the website, and reservations are supposed to be by phone to the Buffelsfontein Visitor Centre, but I have called the phone number several times at different times of day and there is no answer. I also tried faxing my request but it didn't go through. The huts are not included in the online reservation system of the sanparks website. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can make a reservation?
MATTHYS

Re: Cape of Good Hope Trail

Unread post by MATTHYS »

Please try calling 021 7127471 and ask for Deonese Visser, or email her, with your request, at [email protected] , Mfairbank.
aquila non capit muscas
lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Table Mountain NP - Activities

Unread post by lion queen »

A very nice book on trails in TMNP

Link to Wild Card Magazine article

tmnp boek trails1.JPG

tmnp boek trails2.JPG

tmnp boek trails3.JPG
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West