S114, Rhenosterkoppies Road

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Jazil
Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere

This is Where

Unread post by Jazil »

It is on the S114 and is the Timfenheni just before the S121.
Don't forget to PM any Mod your Kudu nominations for the month.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.
Pikkie

S114, Rhenosterkoppies Road

Unread post by Pikkie »

Hi, I will be visiting KNP from 02-04-08 to 09-04-08 and will be camping at Skukuza! :D I read many reports on the S114 :clap: but mainly from Malelane gate upwards and not travelling from Skukuza downwards :? . I suppose it is still a great route to drive from the north and where do I go when I exit the S114?

Are there any other routes you could suggest to drive and maybe with some cheetah areas? :dance:

Counting the sleeps!!!!!!!
jakoventer

Unread post by jakoventer »

I have travelled this road on many occasions from Skukuza. I normally drive until the S21 and then follow it back to the H4-1

Have seen leopard, *** and ele on every occasion on these 2 roads. It is also a less travelled road, so you can spend lots of time with your sighting without a million others around.

Two most memorable moments:

1. Spend about 90min with a leopard trying to catch first a duiker and then impala. We were alone the whole time.

2. Spend about a hour with a male and female lion, doing what lions do best......nothing. We were only 2 cars.

As for cheetah, go to Satara, the H7 and S100 is the only roads I have ever seen them.

You can also continue on the S114 up to the Biyamiti weir, where leopard is also plentiful.
Kruger rocks !!!
G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by G@mespotter »

One of my favorite road in the Park.....saw lions here on several occasions, wildebeasts, zebra, ground hornbills (often) buffalo, kudu , giraffe, *** and elephant, lion with kill, hyena's etc....NEVER give it a miss :dance:
Last edited by G@mespotter on Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Walking is the best way to explore Kruger: 2x Olifants Backpack Trail (2009, 2016), 3x Mphongolo Backpack Trail (2011, 2013, 2015), 1x Mathikithi Wilderness Trail (2022).
Pikkie

S114

Unread post by Pikkie »

Thanks G@mespotter, I will make a point of driving that road quite often.

Tell me though, what is the late afternoon drive like on the S114?

:roll: Still counting the sleeps
G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I prefer this only late afternoon or early morning.....give it a slow go as it tends go become very bushy! Leave it during the heat of the day, rather do the river loop then :wink:
Walking is the best way to explore Kruger: 2x Olifants Backpack Trail (2009, 2016), 3x Mphongolo Backpack Trail (2011, 2013, 2015), 1x Mathikithi Wilderness Trail (2022).
Richprins

S114

Unread post by Richprins »

This is a very rewarding road!

I have always seen "something", in fact everything' here at some stage, including my first ever Black *** in 1985!

Regarding the "late afternoon" question, the Northern portion of the road has provided myself with remarkable "small animal" sightings:

African Wildcat AND Serval on one afternoon, and my first positive Honey Badger.

There is also what I would like to call a "hot spot" about 10 km south of Mbyamiti Weir, where the bush suddenly clears for a km or so. I normally see something there, my favourite having been Ostriches! :shock:
G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi all :D

If i my add my 2 cents I find the s3 a bit quiet in the morning, but better in the late afternoon. I would do both roads (s3 and the s114 renosterkoppies road) time permitting..
Richprins

Cheetah

Unread post by Richprins »

Back to your original question, Pikkie, I had only one sighting of cheetah on the S-114, but it was marvellous!

Around 1996 it was an overcast Summer morning, and I encountered a single animal some way north of Renosterkoppies Dam.

There is a stretch of Tarred surface on the S-114 there, for some reason, and the cheetah was making its way North along that.

The nice part was that there were no humans or other animals around for miles, and we reversed about 500m up a slope, and waited for the approaching cheetah!

I shall never forget the "click - clack" of the animal's claws, clearly audible, as it approached!
Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: S114, Rhenosterkoppies Road

Unread post by Mfezi »

Some years back I found myself in the middle of a pack of wild dogs at the T junction of S114 and S21. Many lion sightings around but missed the leopard there!! I always make time to travel that road...
Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mfezi »

Pikkie I have had some great sightings coming from the north on the S114. Definitely worth travelling, but in the end, it is all about to be at the right time at the right spot...
PHVDM

Unread post by PHVDM »

I visited the Park 4 times since the 1st of January 2016. Every time we saw quite a large group of lions at the renosterkoppies dam. Definitely worth checking out!
Fortune favours the bold.....
Kanniewagnie

Unread post by Kanniewagnie »

The Renosterkoppies pride was in full display at the water hole last weekend.
Pretoriuskop 2016-04-29 and 30
Balule 2016-09-30 / 2016-10-01
wildebeeste

Unread post by wildebeeste »

We saw the Lions in this area at that time too. They were quite close so we managed some good photos. Viewing was easy as there was not a car park blocking the road. I hope you are rewarded with some good sightings.