Table Mountain - Safety and Security

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

jacquiandphil

Re: Table Mountain - Safety and Security

Unread post by jacquiandphil »

SANParks guided walk- is there such a thing?
Years ago I somehow found a SANParks guide, we met in Constancia Nek car park, two of us, the guide with 3 people he was training and another person.
We had a brilliant day walk.
Does anyone have contact details for that sort of thing?
And if not SanParks, it seems to me overseas tourists would like to book on to this sort of thing.
Jacqui and Phil
Kruger 2020
Punda August 23/24/25/
Shingwedzi August 26/27/28
Shimuwini August 29/ 30/31
Satara September 01/02/03
Hazy View September 04
:( on 6th when home
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS »

Please read The Cape of Good Hope, Jacquiandphil :
Free guided walks are offered at Cape Point on selected Sunday mornings throughout the year. Click here for a schedule of these walks..

Also see here :
Please note that commercial guiding activities are not included in the list above and a permitting system in this regard is under review by SANParks.
and page 10 of here :

image.png
image.png (54.31 KiB) Viewed 11351 times
aquila non capit muscas
andrew109

Unread post by andrew109 »

Hiking on Table Mountain NOT SAFE! Murders and muggings, hikers held at gunpoint and stabbed as they stop to take a breath - it is completely out of control and I would not recommend that anyone hiked - even in big groups. Until the authorities work something out, it is to be AVOIDED
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen »

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West
JohnStanley1

Unread post by JohnStanley1 »

this is atrocious!

https://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/news/hi ... t-19390002

there should not be concern when walking anywhere around TMNP, but still low scum make their way up there..

quote "Table Mountain Watch has described the area as a notorious hot spot over the years." So you know about it??? why not increase safety measures?

you guys are sorry to say, pretty useless, and its such a shame
Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Graham_5000 »

Graham_5000 wrote:Undoubtedly it is a challenge to secure the entire TMNP, as it is huge. Focusing on a few iconic trails is a good idea in my opinion. There are rumours in both the hiking and tourism community that something significant along these lines is about to be announced?

Iconic "protected" trails will no doubt include the likes of Platteklip (recently hit with three muggings), Lions Head, Skeleton Gorge, the Pipe Track above Camps Bay etc. I don't suppose thought could be given to securing one of the two routes that start on Chapmans Peak Drive? One is Blackburn Ravine above East Fort near Hout Bay, the other is Chapmans Peak itself. I've seen three sets of tourists (German & British) walk up to the warning signs that warn of a security issue, full of excitement about their hike, only for them to turn around with disappointment and anxiety after reading the security warning. Given how many tourists visit Chapmans Peak Drive, I really think one of the two spectacular routes could be secured (as much as is possible), so that the efforts to address security issues aren't exclusively made around the Front Table, Camps Bay & Kirstenbosch.

Muggings, fear on our trails and tourists and locals aborting hikes because of safety concerns are a blot on the copy book of an otherwise incredible, inspiring park.

I don't suppose anyone from TMNP has any thoughts on this issue?

Yesterday, there was a murder at the exact spot I wrote this post about several months ago.

Nobody from SANParks engaged with this post or indeed the emails I sent.

I have never seen ANY rangers patrolling the trails above Chapmans Peak Drive. I know the park is big, but the two or three top top main tourist routes could at least be secured? At the very least, Chappies, above Kirstenbosch, Lions Head and the Front Table should have be close to 100% safe.
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS »

Media Release: SANParks responds to a tourist attack in Table Mountain National Park

30 July 2019

South African National Parks (SANParks) is saddened by the loss of a 44 year Ukraine tourist who succumbed to his injuries after being stabbed following a mugging while walking alone within the Table Mountain National Park (TMNP).

This according to Norman Johnson, SANParks General Manager for the Cape Region who said the unfortunate incident which happened along East Fort, Hout Bay is now being investigated by the South African Police Services. “As the organisation, we would like to convey our deepest condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.”

Johnson further requested various stakeholders to allow for the investigation to unfold without anyone making any inflammatory remarks that could jeopardise the work of the police.

He said TMNP is primarily an open access system with hundreds of places where entry/exit is possible and a whole mountain range to hide away in, therefore the overspill of urban crime is a phenomenon common to all urban national parks like TMNP.

According to information received from the police a 25-year-old suspect was apprehended with the help of the neighbourhood watch soon after the incident… “we would like to commend members of the neighbourhood watch for their swift response leading to the arrest of the perpetrator and call on to other community members to join in the fight against crime on the mountain,” concluded Johnson.

Suggested SANParks safety tips visitors should adhere to:

• Never hike, run, cycle etc alone.

• Plan your route from start to end and choose the route according to the ability, fitness and experience of the group. This will prevent potential injury.

• Inform someone exactly which route you are taking as well as your expected time of return) and stick to this route and plan.

• Always be prepared for bad weather, i.e. take proper weatherproof clothing even on a sunny day (wind and rainproof); torches - with spare batteries and globes; good footwear - strong boots or shoes with non-slip soles; food; water; a flask of tea or some other beverage; a rucksack to carry it all in - so as to leave your arms and hands free.

• Undertake your activity with somebody who knows the way and carries a guidebook, map or route description. A registered guide is recommended.

• Keep to the designated routes on well-used paths. Heed signs advising of danger and do not take short cuts or unknown routes.

• Leave valuables like cash and cameras behind.

• Be wary of suspicious persons who may pose as hikers.

Issued by:
South African National Parks (SANParks) TMNP Communications

Media enquiries:
Lauren Howard-Clayton
Regional Communications Manager, SANParks
Email: [email protected]
Landline: 021 659 1700; Mobile: 071 115 5843
aquila non capit muscas
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS »

tafelberg.JPG