Marakele: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Waterbuck
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Marakele: ADVICE

Unread post by Waterbuck »

RosemaryH wrote:Hi Waterbuck :D Good to see you here!

Waterbuck wrote: I have snapped leopard on a motion sensor camera at night right besides our tent.

:shock: How awesomely scary :wink:

Hi Rose - popping in...wish I had more Forum time. Terribly guilt of starting threads and not getting back to them :gflower:
WaTeRbUcK
...wisdom is like a baobab tree; no one individual can embrace it...
Afrikaatjie

Marakele in a Toyota Corolla

Unread post by Afrikaatjie »

Hello :)
I have browsed this forum and the internet and got many different answers, so I'll decided to join and ask it straight up. Sorry if I am a repeater. We are booked in Marakele for 5 nights camping at the end of November. Now we are only familiar with Kruger NP and this will be the first time in Marakele. We are looking forward to it, but we are worried that our Toyota Corolla may not be sufficient, as the we have read that the roads are not suitable for Sedan vehicles. Can anyone shine a light on the road status? Is it sandy? Rocky? Very high middle bit? Etc. We have driven almost all roads in Kruger in our Toyota, is this comparable?
We haven't really though of budgeting for renting a 4x4 or 4x2, as we though our corolla could do it (although not all the roads) and we are returning to Nelspruit from Namibia.
Thank you so much for you advise!
arks
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Marakele in a Toyota Corolla

Unread post by arks »

See my reply to your KTP query. I've only visited Marakela once, in a VW Polo, and that was absolutely find. There were a very few places where the road had some large rocks, but nothing that couldn't be negotiated with care.

Enjoy your trip!
RSA 2022-2023
16 November-9 February Cape Town & Darling
TonyK

Unread post by TonyK »

Hi All

I'm planning my first visit to Marakele in February so I would appreciate some tips.

We will use the Safari Tents for 3 nights but the question really is which camp - Bontle or Tlopi - and why? :)

I am looking for best game and birding viewing area and prettiest scenery. We will have a hire sedan - is this suitable to cover the majority if not all the roads?

Is there any form of shop, even if only cool drinks, wood, etc or does one have to bring everything in? If not, can one get the necessaries from Thabazimbi?

Are there waterholes and / or bird hides around the park?

Any other tips anyone would like to offer :)

Many thanks.
George_Brits
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by George_Brits »

Hi Tonyk

Here is my 50c worth of advice. I would choose Tlopi just for the simple reason that you have the best view available.

It is not often that you can sit at a place having beautiful views of the Waterberg mountains and watching animals come to drink water. Armed with a spotting scope or binoculars it will keep you busy for sure.

Although not all the roads are sedan friendly, a simple must is to take the tar road up to Lenong lookout point (bring your camping chair) and watch the breeding colony of vultures. One can seem to look forever at the scenery that surrounds you.

There is no shop facilities at Marakele but you can buy wood and ice (if in stock) at the reception. But I would suggest you buy your groceries at nearby Thabazimbi.

I hope you have a beautiful and memorable visit and please share your piccies with us!
TonyK

Unread post by TonyK »

Hi George_Brits and thanks for your comments.

Which camp has a water hole in front of the tents? And is there an area that is better / worse for game and birding, ie left or right of the road cutting through the park?
Hippotragus
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus »

Tlopi tented camp is the camp with permanent safari tents right on the water. We have stayed there several times and see quite a few animals come down to drink.

We also stayed at the Motswere Guest Cottage - at the far end of the park, beyond Tlopi. You access it by a private 4x4 track. We had a lion right outside the cottage garden fence one morning! Very nice accommodation if you are a group - 4 bedrooms.
George_Brits
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by George_Brits »

Tony, I would choose the right hand side of the Park, found lions right outside Tlopi tented camp. Theres a few routes that you can travel with in your sedan vehicle.

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk
lisa

Unread post by lisa »

Any particular unit to request at Tlopi Tented Camp -- any with better views than others, more privacy, etc.?
FinMari

Unread post by FinMari »

Hi!

Tent number 10 (=Loerie) is the last one.

We stayed at number 9 (=Barbet), which also has nice views, but 10 is better.

Remember to lock both kitchen and sleeping tent doors all the timber. There is a lot of baboons and vervets. When you are careful, you really can enjoy the views!

At night time, there was ellie bathing quite often - first night the sounds woke me up.

mari
5.-9.4.2024 Mapungubwe NP
9.-21.4.2024 Kruger NP
RichardLesar69

Re: Marakele in a Toyota Corolla

Unread post by RichardLesar69 »

Afrikaatjie wrote:Hello :)
I have browsed this forum and the internet and got many different answers, so I'll decided to join and ask it straight up. Sorry if I am a repeater. We are booked in Marakele for 5 nights camping at the end of November. Now we are only familiar with Kruger NP and this will be the first time in Marakele. We are looking forward to it, but we are worried that our Toyota Corolla may not be sufficient, as the we have read that the roads are not suitable for Sedan vehicles. Can anyone shine a light on the road status? Is it sandy? Rocky? Very high middle bit? Etc. We have driven almost all roads in Kruger in our Toyota, is this comparable?
We haven't really though of budgeting for renting a 4x4 or 4x2, as we though our corolla could do it (although not all the roads) and we are returning to Nelspruit from Namibia.
Thank you so much for you advise!

Hi

Hope your trip went well. How were the roads?
Afrikaatjie

Unread post by Afrikaatjie »

Hi Richard,
Roads were absolutely fine to drive in a Corolla, just a bit corrugated at times, but we had a great time. Would definitely recommend a stay at Marakele.
Cheers, Karen
DominoDee

Unread post by DominoDee »

Good morning.
We are going to Marakele for the first time on the 23rd October. We always go to Kruger, but it's fully booked...
We have no idea of what to expect and would appreciate any tips from the Marakele regulars.
We will be staying in Bontle Camp in one of the tents a ST2Z.
Is there a recommended tent to request?
Which is the easiest route from the East Rand?
Really looking forward to exploring a "New" Area for us...
heritagearts

Unread post by heritagearts »

Where can we purchase firewood for Braai at Marakele and then before entering Mapungubwe
arks

Unread post by arks »

I think the best place for buying wood for Marakele would be Thabazimbi and for Mapungubwe, Alldays. I don't think that either parks actually sells wood.
RSA 2022-2023
16 November-9 February Cape Town & Darling