Skip to Content

Re: needed a (permanent?) fix so.....

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks
ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:50 pm

:redface: apologies again for taking so long to come back to this thread. I do not know where time goes these days!

This afternoon I had less than an hour's warning that I was needed to accompany a bird expert doing a survey on foot in the area. Rushed back home, changed, grabbed rifle, and was in time to meet him.

We walked towards the river at the survey point and had no problems initially. Then after crossing a steep drainage line I heard unmistakable branch cracking sounds.....Ellies! Fortunately these turned out to be across the river..... But one then decided to cross the river, and head to the exact area we wanted to walk to. We gave him some time and then moved off......listening very carefully and watching carefully too.

We actually managed to get near the area....a big tree.....when we saw movement under it......not the big ellie but a big herd of ellies! I led him in a circular route past the tree and to another biggish tree a bit further down......and we promptly disturbed a buffalo asleep below us on the river bank. He moved off in a huff and kept stopping to look back at us, but fortunately we were on top of the bank and he was below us, so we were safe.

The ellies then caught our scent as the wind was blowing towards them, and began to move off. I watched to see they all moved up a ridge near us and away and then we moved back to the tree they had been under.....a beautiful big nyala tree. The buffalo bull had by this time climbed the bank and was moving towards us so it was time to move off anyway!

When we headed back towards the car 2 more ellies appeared near us, but they moved off quickly as they realised we were coming. It was not meant to be a normal walk, so we did not move as quietly as usual.....in fact we preferred today that animals knew we were there, and could move away. We kept stopping for a few minutes for the surveyor to listen and record birds, and often check with his spotting scope and take photos.

Also saw hippos in the river and an osprey interacting with a juvenile bateleur. I had seen the same type of interaction on the Olifants river while doing the backpack so found it interesting.

The walk back to the car was uneventful, and we headed home again.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Toddelelfe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Toddelelfe » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:47 pm

EJ, glad to have you back! :clap:
:dance: Plane is booked, KNP, i am on a mission :doh:
+/- 25.11.-03.12.2016
:lol: 8) :cam:
2 Nights Pretoriuskop, 3 Nights Napi Trail (i am so excited!). 1 Night Lower Sabie, 2 Nights Biyamiti
2014 TR from KNP

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:09 am

Another wonderful walk and experience EJ! :clap: :clap:
The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. - Unknown.
Kruger sleeps in March 2016
2 - 5: Skukuza
6 - 8: Crocodile Bridge
9 - 11: Lower Sabie
12 - 13: Biyamiti
14: Return home

impyim
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby impyim » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:13 am

I always look forward to your TR.
This one was quite different in that you didn't have to be quiet.
Thanks for taking the time to update us on what you're doing.

chirinda
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby chirinda » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:32 pm

I haven't seen you posting for a while, EJ, so I've had several pages to catch up. Lovely to be on these bush walks, even the walk from the car to the office can be interesting. :D

One learns all the time, and each walk, gives you more interesting experiences. Thanks for sharing some of them with us, and some of your pics.

Fascinating to realise how high up ellies can climb. I know that surveyors used elephant tracks when they were searching for ways to make roads down escarpments.

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:00 pm

Yes, a lot of roads throughout Africa are based on animal tracks, in particular elephant and hippo tracks.

We have had a lot of elephant activity around camp recently because of marula season. I have been regularly tossing fruit over the fence to try to prevent break-ins, and last night we definitely would have had 2 bulls in camp if I had not done so. They spent about 3 hours near the caravan hoovering up fruit, and the biggest was reaching over the fence to the marulas next to the fence that I had left knowing the bigger guys would get them easily anyway.

Suddenly after 10pm a bright light appeared, and a camper came stomping through the wooden fence around my caravan swinging the beam in all directions and went right up to the fence where the ellies were! I threw something over my pjs and went out to get him to move away. He told me he was not a 'jo-burger' and to go back to bed! I asked him to move away and not shine the light at the ellies as that might provoke them.....He snarled something and moved down right next to my caravan! The ellies fortunately moved off.....probably so full of marulas they could not be bothered!......and after searching thoroughly all round with his spotlight Mr Camper returned whence he came, snarling out something about a mad woman!!!!

It could have turned so nasty.........

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:34 am

Oh my word EJ! Was the camper trying to protect you against the Ellies, or did he just come to see what was going on with them? :lol:
The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. - Unknown.

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:51 am

Not sure what he was thinking......but actually suspect he was not thinking....... :wall:

Delene D
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Delene D » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:41 am

Ignorant and idiotic Mr Camper! Just as well it was you there and not me - I would have been so mad I would have been tempted to toss him over the fence to see the elephants up close! We will be at Berg n dal for 5 days from 13th August and will make a point of seeing you in that time. In the meanwhile I look forward to more posts - when you have the time. i know you are a busy little lady. Regards, D.

salamanda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby salamanda » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:58 am

After over seven months of almost no Internet and great difficulty in opening web-pages when I did have it, a mysterious piece of equipment has been added to my antenna and suddenly I am properly back on line. I've had a lot of catching up to do. EJ I see you have been very busy and someone like that idiotic nocturnal camper must have been the last straw. Thanks for continuing to post when it has not always been easy, I always enjoy your descriptions.

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks for the encouragement folks!

Life continues to be busy......but that is what I am here for!

The past week I was in Skukuza.....but camping in the bush. 2 days on the shooting range - training and assessments. The weather did its best to turn up into crisps....... I did a little shooting and was pleased that I can still shoot equally well right and left shouldered (and this time on a timed exercise too!). Then 2 days of meetings in the bliss of an aircon room at the conference centre.

We heard ellies, lions and hyenas around the camp plus lots of birds. There was some towing of vehicles that got stuck crossing a sandy river bed and a couple of other interesting experiences.......

Next week is probably office-bound as I must finish rewriting the Orientation manual because we have a course the following week. But as the office is now at BnD there could be some interesting sightings on the way there and back.

Tessa G
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Tessa G » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:00 pm

How I have never found your thread before now beats me EJ and with so many years of writing behind you, its quite something to catch up from the beginning, so I have read the last 10 pages or so.

Really love your experiences and photos, giving us a very different perspective of things, from what we as tourists normally view things.

Thanks you so much and I will continue to make my way through the older pages of your thread.

:D :D
Dec 2016/Jan 2017 - Shingwedzi, Letaba, Olifants, Tamboti, Biyamiti
CURRENT TR: 23 DAYS WITH TESSA & DAVE - FROM HEAD TO TAIL DEC 2015

TR: 11 DAYS BACK HOME IN KRUGER WITH TESSA AND DAVE 2014/2015

impyim
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby impyim » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:10 pm

Your prowess with a rifle is amazing. I would feel very safe doing a walk with you as 2nd rifle.

Now that I've met you it makes your description of whatever you do so much more personal.
So, even though going to the office in Skukuza (or next time BnD) maybe seems mundane to you - to me it is interesting just because you're in Kruger. Thanks for taking the time.

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby hilda » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Busy, as always EJ! :clap: :clap:

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)

Unread postby Philip1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:05 pm

:gflower: EJ :gflower: ..."I think people who are creative are the luckiest people on earth. I know that there are no shortcuts, but you must keep your faith in something Greater than You, and keep doing what you love. Do what you love, and you will find the way to get it out to the world". - Judy Collins

"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Return to “Travel Tales”