Skip to Content

Tamboti Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Johann
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Johann » Tue May 10, 2005 2:25 pm

Stayed there last year in September over a weekend. Some company get-together.
Very nice little camp. You are just far enough away from the other tents to almost feel all alone in the bush.
Hyenas at the fence every night. On the Friday night people saw a leopard in the riverbed. The Sunday night, after we had left :cry: a pride of lions brought down a buffalo in the riverbed, right in front of one of the tents.
General area very nice, road leading to camp not bad. Only 1-2km long and frequented by zebra, wildebeest, elephants.
One elephant actually stood guard in front of the gate on the Friday, had to be careful when using the gate. :)
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Bushmad
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushmad » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:05 pm

I have stayed at Tamboti twice before, its beautiful!
Tents 30-40 are the Luxury Safari Tents (we have only stayed in these).
They are almost like tree houses and yes, they are en-suite, in fact their bathrooms are the nicest in the park.

The only thing that I must warn you about is that staying in the Tents is very weather dependent.
Whilst the Park enjoys great weather most of the time, the tents can be very uncomfortable in heavy wind, and on very cold nights.
Last year, we had three great nights there, the weather was amazing until the last night, a cold front had blown across the country from the Cape (not unusual in winter) and had reached the park during the night. It was FREEZING (in South African terms )
Don't worry too much about weather though, I would imagine that early September would be ideal.

ALL the tents have amazing views, so the differences are minor, 39 and 40 are a bit nicer because they are right at the end and each one has a huge tree very close by.
40 is probably the best because its in the corner and therefore the bush is not only in front but also to the right.
The camp itself is very low impact and its easy to forget that you are actually in a camp.
I love walking around there because it feels like you're walking int the bush but without the danger aspect.

Enjoy!!
"Acts of kindness never die. They linger in the memory, giving lift to other acts in return."
Lord Sacks - From Optimism to Hope

Freda
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Freda » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:09 am

I've stayed there many times but never found a hide :shock:
There is a hide at Maroela, the camp site, just along the road.
I also have never seen a camp layout map, just been given a key and the tents are well numbered and signposted :)
Number 40 is magic.

gwendolen

Unread post by gwendolen » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:04 am

No 40

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:55 am

There are 2 types of tents in Tamboti,
firstly the budget type for 2 or 4 occupants.
These have beds with bedding, hand and bath towels each, fridge, electric points and a fan and are serviced daily.
Outside there is a braai (barbecue).
You use the communal (clean) ablutions and kitchens which have electric hotplates and washing up facilities, and boiling water on tap.
You have to take your own utensils, cutlery and crockery

I have never stayed in the up market ones, which have own ablutions, kitchen and are fully equipped for eating.

Each unit looks down onto the Timbavati riverbed which is usually dry.

It is great value for money and the H7 to Satara often ranks with the best in the park for sightings.
I saw the big 5 plus cheetah and wild dog in the road in a combination of my last 2 trips.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:04 am

Like I said, the more pricey tents, like no 40 have their own loo, kitchen, cutlery etc.
Orpen is 3 km away and has a swimming pool, petrol station, shop where you can buy braai wood, but if you are already in the park I would suggest you pick up your purchases at another camp, then you know you have it.

BTW, those who have stayed in no 40 rave about it.
It is in the corner, so you pick up more travellers along the fences.
Watch out for the resident honey badger and African wild cat at night and whatever you do, don't confront the badger.
They are more ferocious than Peter Schmeichel!!
Last edited by Bush Baptist on Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:53 pm

There are actually 10, #31-40.
Number 40 is at the very end, with fence along both the front (river) and the side, so most feel this is the prime+ location.
However, #39 is also very nice, and from pix it looks like #38 is also great.
Indeed, I expect you won't go wrong with any of them.
You need to call or email Orpen to put in your request.
Whichever tent you get, I think you already know that Tamboti is utter heaven! :mrgreen:
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:57 pm

There is a path on the inside of the fence which can be walked & at night with a powerful torch.

robertson
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by robertson » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:35 am

Out of my own experience i have stayed at Tamboti many times, and find that each tent bring's us a diffrent experience and feeling.

Our best tent is number 2 or 22.

Enjoy it cause we always do.

robertson
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by robertson » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:45 am

This is Number 2

Aquilla

Unread post by Aquilla » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:17 pm

A few years ago i decided to spend my last night here. When i arrived the river was bone dry. I had a braai and went to sleep.

I awoke early the following morning to the sound of running water snakeing its way towards the sea over the dry and dusty riverbed. What made it even more special was that the weather was 100% clear. It must have rained a fair amount inland on the escarpment.It began as a trickle and ended up a strong torrent.

A magnificent moment that filled all my senses.... it will never be forgotten......

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by G@mespotter » Wed May 30, 2007 2:16 pm

Hi vos,

Nr. 22 is a 4 person tent, and really is the best of the cheepest, so try to get hold of it

Enjoy, it really is a SUPER SPECIAL camp, especially check out the area (very early)where the gravel road to tambotie and marula joins the tar road, really good sightings possible. And if possible a sunset drive, really rewarding in this area.

Monné
Tlopi 11 July Tambotie 12 July, Olifants Backpack trail 13-16 July, Letaba 16 July, Balule 17 July, and Sable Hide 18 July and Lower Sabie 19-20 July Can't wait actually :)

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by G@mespotter » Wed May 30, 2007 2:35 pm

Hi, here are some pics of Tambotie :thumbs_up:

My home :dance:
ImageLarge

In the camp
ImageLarge

View of nr. 23
ImageLarge

Tent nr. 22, has a perfect view
ImageLarge

Hope this will do...

Monné
Last edited by Elsa on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pics resized.
Tlopi 11 July Tambotie 12 July, Olifants Backpack trail 13-16 July, Letaba 16 July, Balule 17 July, and Sable Hide 18 July and Lower Sabie 19-20 July Can't wait actually :)

vos

Unread post by vos » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:56 am

Thanx to Monne, Bush Babtist, RosemaryH and Meandering Mouse for your comments.
We stayed in No 22 for two nights and simply had a fantastic time. The view, the bird-life, the trees and bush inside the camp, the sounds at night and the atmosphere made this an unforgettable experience. The friendly staff & the clean ablutions was a bonus.
The first night alone we heard hyena, jackal, lion and zebra calling. We had an hyena at the fence and later a fight in the riverbed which we thought were hyena. I grabbed my light and saw two figures near the far side of the riverbed. They moved like hyena but were very dark. Brown Hyena or Aardwolf?? These are so rare that I doubt it. Was exciting though.
On returning from out first day out at about 5 o'clock, 100 meters from the gate, a male leopard crossed the road and after seeing it move through the bush for a short while, it disappeared into the bush.
This is now one of my favourite camps in Kruger.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:21 pm

Hi NatyP,

If you walk west on the 'path' from tent no 1, i.e. away from number 2, you get to the hide in about 50 metres. I have never found anything there except for a lonely saddle billed stork. They need to do serious 'gardening' in front of the hide. It is not well placed unfortunately.

The honey badger is seen at night sometimes when raiding bins. It is a very dangerous animal, and often fights off lion and leopard, so keep well away from it if you are lucky enough to see it.

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”