Mapungubwe: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

squirrel_asc
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Mapungubwe: Which camp?

Unread post by squirrel_asc »

I agree with those who said that both sides of the park are worth a visit. We stayed in Leokwe and LFTC. Leokwe was lovely - quite luxurious compared to Kruger bungalows, and even though we weren't in one of the luxury units, we still spend some very enjoyable hours photographing birds from the bungalow's braai area. The sights on the Eastern side (Tree-top walk, confluence lookout, museum, etc) are also well worth checking out.

On the Western side - we found that the tents needed a bit of maintenance (anti-baboon "burglar bars" were broken, for instance), but nothing too horrible, and we had no trouble from any of the 'locals". The Maloutswa hide was stunning. We spent 4 nights in LFTC, and we spend about 3 morning and 3 afternoons at the hide. It was just that awesome... (although I believe the water was much higher than usual when we were there, since we arrived on the heals of several days of heavy rain...) There are also several stunningly beautiful loops that you can drive in the Western section.
"Your life becomes a masterpiece when you learn to master peace" 8)

Kgalagadi: 31 Aug - 14 Sep 2019 - Travel Tale
Pretorius Kop: 7 - 14 Mar 2020 :dance: :dance:
Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Mapungubwe: Which camp?

Unread post by Pjw »

Thank you. Seems we need to go to all the camps. Luckily we are retired so have plenty of time :lol: :lol:
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)
Navara2

Re: Mapungubwe: ADVICE

Unread post by Navara2 »

We are travelling from Joburg to Mapungubwe in September - bnooked in at Leokwe - can you recommend a
self-catering place to stop overnight on the way. Not too expensive. Thanks.Two adults.
Navara2
Navara2

Re: Mapungubwe: Petrol

Unread post by Navara2 »

Another question - We are now using a Jimny - petrol tank not nearly the same size as our old Navara -
Where is petrol available once you are in Mapungubwe - we are there for 4 nights,
so will definitely need a fill-up or two.
Thanks
Navara2
chirinda
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by chirinda »

Hello Navara2,

Depending on which way you are going to Mapungubwe, you need to fill up at Musina or Alldays. There is no filling station closer. Both are roughly the same distance from Mapungubwe.

There is not a lot of road inside the park, not like Kruger, so you do not do nearly so much distance. We were there five nights, in a sedan, and did not need to get fuel during our stay. Perhaps if you go to the western section from Leokwe one day, you could go to Alldays and fill up while you are that side.

The park is easily reached from Joburg in a day, but you do need to leave fairly early. I have never stayed over anywhere going there, but I'm sure there are many overnight stops on the way.

Enjoy your stay, it's a lovely place.
Hippotragus
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus »

I agree with chirinda - you should not need to refill your tank while in the park - just fill up in Musina or Alldays before entering the park.

If you leave Johannesburg early enough, you will not need to sleep over on the way. The Ranch Hotel, about 20 km south of Polokwane is a good place to stop over, but not self-catering.

The N4 is a good, fast, road and you should reach Polokwane in about two and a half hours. You can then continue on N4 to Musina (approx. 200 km) and then approx, 68 km to the park OR turn of and go via Alldays (approx 150 km) and then another approx. 60 km to the park. The road to Alldays is good, but not as fast as the N4 highway.
heritagearts

Unread post by heritagearts »

Which unit at Leokwe do you prefer... heading there next year
heritagearts

Unread post by heritagearts »

Which unit at Leokwe do you prefer... heading there next year
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

heritagearts wrote:Which unit at Leokwe do you prefer... heading there next year

Lucky you. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I hope that you have a super time.

When we were last there, I had a look at all the units and they seemed to be designed to take in a lovely view from each unit. I cannot remember which it was, but Unit number 5, or 6 seemed to have the least appealing view.

I stayed in unit 1 when I visited with my mother. It is reserved for folk with disabilities. It might not have have the best view, but it was certainly the easiest unit in terms of access.

The highest numbers, those nestled on an incline are possibly the nicest to stay in. I think they are the bigger units.

I still think that Leokwe is Sanpark's best kept secrets in terms of design.

If you are up early, take a slow walk through the camp looking at overnight spoor. The red sand makes it very easy to see. The swimming pool area is also a perfect place to watch the rising sun.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.
tetrol88
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by tetrol88 »

Units 10 and 11 at Leokwe are excellent - end of the road, no passing traffic, and the outlook is excellent . We caught up with some SANParks staff later on our trip and they said 10 and 11 are the picks when they have meetings in Mapungubwe.
22/10/19 Mopani 3 nights
25/10 Satara 3 nights
28/10 Lower Sabie 3 nights
31/10 Biyamiti 2 nights
2/11 Skukuza 2 nights
Out of park 4-8/11
9/11 Skukuza 3 nights

and Kgalagadi booked June-July 2020 :)
lisa

Unread post by lisa »

Thank you. Does anyone have an email address for requesting specific accommodation at Limpopo Tented Camp and Leokwe? I have tried both of the email addresses on the "contact" page but received no response.
Michiel_P
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Michiel_P »

lisa wrote:Thank you. Does anyone have an email address for requesting specific accommodation at Limpopo Tented Camp and Leokwe? I have tried both of the email addresses on the "contact" page but received no response.

Hi Lisa, try the following number (015) 534 7923/24. That is the main gate where you need to check in. Asked them for the bungalow numbers you need. If you need to mail them, they will provide the correct email address.

I was in Leokwe a week ago and stayed in number 14. Very nice view and close to the pool.
Nature is the art of God - Dante Alighieri
Our Bucket List
January 2020 : Kruger
August 2020 : Camdeboo, Bontebok, Agulhas, Karoo NP, Mokala
letsiec

Unread post by letsiec »

lisa wrote:Thank you. Does anyone have an email address for requesting specific accommodation at Limpopo Tented Camp and Leokwe? I have tried both of the email addresses on the "contact" page but received no response.

Hi Lisa,

Did you get any response back? I checked the "contact"-page (just to make sure!) and both e-mail addresses are indeed correct. Connections were a bit on the irritatingly slow side for a few days, though. This can affect our telephone lines as well (satellite connections).

If no response received as yet you could also try our Duty Manager Kurisani at [email protected] . If all else fails I can relay your requirements as well.

Kind regards,

Letsie
Letsie Coetzee
SR Planning & Development
Mapungubwe National Park & World Heritage Site
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS »

Advice needed please.

For a 1st time (short) visit to Mapungubwe, what would you advise ?
Leokwe, Limpopo Forest Tents or Tshugulu Lodge ?
aquila non capit muscas
Dave Moore

Unread post by Dave Moore »

Leokwe