Tankwa Karoo NP: INFO

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Capetonian

Tankwa National Park first visit.

Unread post by Capetonian »

This is my first visit to Tankwa National Park and I was hoping that some one could answer some questions for me.

Is unleaded fuel available in the park?

I am staying at Elandsberg cottages and want to visit as much of the park as possible.
Can I travel from there to the Gannaga Pass and Watervlei 4x4 route. The map shows that the road from Elandsberg to Gannaga Pass goes through private property and shows the road as No Entry?

Looking forward to your replies, thank you.

Capetonian
okie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Tankwa National Park first visit.

Unread post by okie »

I've only driven through a corner of the park from Calvinia to Ceres , and no fuel inbetween . The following info . is from the Sanparks website .

Access from from Calvinia, Ceres, Sutherland and Matjiesfontein

Distances

Ceres to Tankwa is about 180km - nearest petrol-point will be Middlepost.
From Calvinia to Tankwa 110km.

Remember , its all gravel road , and not necessarily nice gravel road . The R355 between Ceres and Calvinia is the longest single stretch of road anywhere in South Africa between two towns , without another town or village on it .

Enjoy the ride - great scenery for those who like far distances .
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist »

Don't think there is any fuel available in the park.
Whatever : "You are right but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Latest lifers: Red-rumped Swallow, Red Phalarope, Purple Gallinule, Chukar Partridge, Australasian Gannet, Brown Booby

Latest World Lifer: White tailed eagle
picnic

Unread post by picnic »

Travelling times: There are restricted travelling times in the park. No travelling is permitted within Tankwa National Park during the following times:

1 October to 31 March 19:00 – 05:30
1 April to 30 September 18:00 – 06:30
Exemption granted to visitors arriving on a Friday by no later than 21:00 at reception, to travel by means of most direct route to the reception and from the reception to their booked accommodation.

Last stops for fuel (measured from park offices) are Ceres (180km), Sutherland (140km - closed from Saturdays 13:00 for weekend), Calvinia (110km) and Middelpos (52km).
Vehicle fuel is available in all parks (or is available on the park periphery) - South African legislation stipulates that fuel stations will accept legitimate petrol/fuel/garage/credit/debit cards or cash as a form of payment for any fuel purchase.
Arrivals for accommodation from 14:00 only, departure at 10:00.
No shops, restaurants, public phones or ATMs in the park.
General Dealer and Bottle Store in Middelpos.
No cellphone reception within the park as well as main access roads.
Credit card facilities are available.
Prosopis Wood for sale in park.

:thumbs_up: Hope this will help. :D
picnic

Unread post by picnic »

Spoke to Audrie at Tankwa enquiries and she assured me that there are diesel in the park available but petrol are only available outside the park.Nearest town Middelpos(52km).

:thumbs_up: For diesel. :D
letsiec

Re: Tankwa Park Office GPS co-ordinates

Unread post by letsiec »

Hi there,

Our Park offices' coordinates at Roodewerf is as follows:

S32°14'27.9"
E20°05'44.5"

A map with directions, major access points and coordinates (for the offices) are available on our website under http://www.sanparks.org/parks/tankwa/tourism/get_there.php .

Please note that there are no formal/manned gates at present and we therefore direct visitors to the park offices for booking in, keys, permits, etc.

Please feel free to contact me should you require any further information.

Kind regards,
Letsie Coetzee
SR Planning & Development
Mapungubwe National Park & World Heritage Site
pietert

Re: Tankwa Karoo weather in October?

Unread post by pietert »

We went to Tankwa during October 2011 and we enjoyed it thoroughly. We camped in their wild camps and found that very rewarding. Some of them you need a 4x4 for. The others can be done with a sedan. Best is to find out from the website which of the camps will suit your purpose. To answer your question about the weather, follow the link below to see some of the pictures we took and from them you will be able to judge. Some days were very hot.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10139088 ... 5400542081
shane

Re: Tankwa National Park: Who knows the place ?

Unread post by shane »

Morning Hugh, thanks.

We came in and left via the very south gate. The first gate off the R355 from Ceres. I think the route you come in from Sutherland is about 1km to the north west of the sout gate. You will join the same park road once in the park. All the entrances should be fine, except Gannaga Pass which is best done in a 4x4.

The road should be fine for your vehicle, but if worried call the park - +27 (0)27 341 1927.

Enjoy yourselves !
Travel Reports:
Through the eyes of a couple: KTP won
!Xaus Lodge: A brief story.
Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Tankwa National Park: Who knows the place ?

Unread post by Hugh »

We had a glorious time there ... We approached from Sutherland.
The land lady of the place we stayed at said we could take the shorter more beautiful road from Sutherland ... She said our car was fine...
We tootled along for some way on an ordinary dusty road when suddenly we came to the Ouberg pass.
Wow from a height we dropped into the Tankwa valley ..
I looked at the views while Hugh held onto the steering wheel eyes on the road.. I would hate to come up the pass especially if it was wet.
Arrived safely in Tankwa, Reception was ever so pleasant and we spent two nights in the de Zyfer cottage.
Sunsets and evenings were out of this world

By the way Shane we did the Gannaga pass.. no problems up and down
Had a picnic at the top. Weather was perfect and we do not have a 4x4 .. no straining on the engine at all.
We left via the road to Calvinia .. when then turned left at the Junction to Ceres and then rt to the cederberg .. now that road was definitely nearing the 4x4 mark .. we travelled along opening and closing farm gates .. and meeting a farmer he said we were on the right road .. we were just about there when on the one pass, Beeg sign no entry Flooding.. Darn we turned back and joined the road just before the Botterkloof pass which we drove over . then we went over the pakhuispass and onto the N7 .. really beautiful countryside ..
Our car keeps telling us that when he grows big he wants to be a 4x4 !!!
Suzi You go and enjoy yourselves
Oh and we saw quite a lot of game . Eland, Springbokkies, Secretary birds, some birds of prey ( don't ask which as the sun was in our eyes) Jackal aplenty and several other types of bokkies
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.
Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Hiking in Tankwa???

Unread post by Philip1 »

:D Hi Rulefiggur, this is what i can find. :thumbs_up: Enjoy. :)

To ensure a safe and joyful trip through our parks, kindly adhere to the rules and regulations
under the Protected Areas Act.

Rule 5.
STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE – In most of the national parks there is a possible threat from dangerous
animals. In such parks guests may only alight from vehicles in designated areas. No part of your
body may protrude from a window or sunroof and doors should remain closed at all times;
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!
gavinsmith

Unread post by gavinsmith »

Do we need Tracks for Africa, or will our standard Garmin GPS find your office?
Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh »

Really cant miss the office its the only thing there !!!
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.
canon
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Advice and Info required about Tankwa Karoo NP

Unread post by canon »

SO and I will be visiting the Tankwa Karoo NP for four nights over the Easter Weekend. Having never been there I would appreciate some advice, info and photographs so that we can be properly prepared. We will be staying at Biejiesfontein for the first night and then for three nights at Langkloof No 1 campsite.

1. How far can one drive up the valley beyond the Langkloof campsite - we have a Landy Defender?
2. What game, if any is one likely to encounter in the Langkloof valley?
3. It appears as though the two campsites at Langkloof are very close to each other - is this correct?
4. Will we be able to tow an off-road trailer to the Langkloof campsite?
5. I would really appreciate any recent photographs of Langkloof campsite to be posted here.
6. Is fire wood available at reception?

Your replies and input will be greatly appreciated.
WE ALL HAVE TWO CHOICES : We can make a living or we can design a life

Small Parks Promoter of the Year 2014
Sighting of the Year - non Predator 2014
Trip Report of the Year - other Parks 2014
MATTHYS

Re: Advice and Info required about Tankwa Karoo NP

Unread post by MATTHYS »

Looking forward to another Canon TR 8) !

canon wrote:3. It appears as though the two campsites at Langkloof are very close to each other - is this correct?

I think they are, Canon.
See what shfish posted :
Hi Jimbo
I camped at Langkloof earlier this year. It was an extraordinary experience - it's almost as good as camping in one of the unfenced camps in Kgalagadi for the absolute solitude ( without the lion adrenaline rush).
You've probably worked it out by now, but to confirm, there are just two campsites, each with a very comfy toilet/bathroom and kitchen. Only problem is, for some peculiar reason SANPs put the two campsites right on top of each other. So if you're trying to get away from humanity, I recommend that you book both camp sites to keep it all to yourself. This also applies to Perdekloof campsite.
Enjoy the peace....and the night sky is unbelievable!
aquila non capit muscas
proacc

Re: Advice and Info required about Tankwa Karoo NP

Unread post by proacc »

Hi, Canon

We have been to Langkloof many times and it is amazing !! I will try to answer your questions.

1. Not very far - in fact you can actually walk (or drive) the last bit (roughly a kilometer) and then the road is blocked off by rocks and another river crossing.
2. If you are lucky you might see eland (depends which part of the park they are grazing), hear the baboons, but apart from that not much. We were lucky last time to see what seemed like leopard (big yellow eyes staring at us for a brief moment and then running off) very early one morning. The same happened the following night.
3. Yes, they are very close. What we always do, is to book both sites and have the whole place to yourself.
4. Definitely, we had off-road trailers each time we visited. There is one river crossing on the way in where you have to take it a bit slower, but nothing serious. The water is normally just a trickle and some small rocks to get over.
5. Technically I'm a bit disadvantaged, but I can mail you some photos of the campsite. Pls send me your e-mail address.
6. Firewood is available at reception, but I would suggest taking some of your own, if possible.

As you are probably aware the roads are known for causing punctures, so be prepared and take your tyre kit with you. No fuel available in park either.

The facilities are excellent - flush toilets, clear running water straight from the windpump and hot gas heated showers.

Enjoy !!