Speeding in Kruger

SANParks Competitions and Forum Awards

From what you have actually witnessed, is there presently a speeding problem in Kruger National Park?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 432

brianfitz

Re: Speeding in Kruger

Unread post by brianfitz »

I am in whole hearted agreement with the new fining system, HOWEVER it will only work if it is ALSO APPLIED TO PARK and DLIVERY TRANSPORT. There is nothing more frustrating than to be watching something and have a PARKS BOARD or DELIERY vechile go past you at speed, thus in most cases frightining away whatever you were watching. I have also had occasion when, while watching a special sighting, of PARKS BOARD and DELIVERY vechicles "forcing" their way through the "traffic jam" and on occasions HOOTING at the visitors to get out of their way. I realize that they have a job to do but do they REALIZE WHO IS PAYING THEIR SALARY. A particular proble is the traffic, either from Phalabora gate or Letaba camp using the road to the border post into Mozambique. Their only objective if to get to the border post at the expence of the visitors to the park for the animals and beauty.I am talking from experience having been a visitor to the park for close on 50 years. Brian
Brian F
Bhejane

Unread post by Bhejane »

Speeding is a problem,Taxis is making use of a Wild Card or a Entry Fee at Numbi gate driving through to Malelane Gate,this is to avoid the Toll Fee and Distance around the Park to Moz or related areas,These vehicles speed to get to there destinations asap.
brianfitz

Hi Again. I am in Kruger for an extended long Easter weekend and have been horrified at the speeding we have seen, so far particularly around Satara, by the Private Open Safari Vechicles. We were passed on the dirt road to Muzandzeni by a vehicle who must have bee travelleing at 50 or over, all in an effort it appeared to beat everybody else to the picnic spot. I would also be interested in hearing from anybody about the behaviour of the Safari groups in relation to favoritism seen.Brianfitz :roll:
Brian F
louis dreyer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by louis dreyer »

A problem area is the road from Punda Maria gate to the border post at Pafuri with vehicles using this road simply as a transport route

This is a big problem, the park is being used as a highway to Moz. Can't say that I’ve seen park vehicles speeding but delivery yes, it seems that they have or think they have permission to speed, seen some of them with a 80km marking on the back. Day visitors trying to get out of the park is a big pain in the back side. Can say one thing, i have seen many of these speedsters being pulled off by park traffic and being fined, but as soon as they are around the bend they are back in the habit of speeding.

I which the park all the luck to stop or prevent this from happening. Nothing as irritating as sitting still at a lion kill and having hooted at you so that they can pass not even looking at the lions on the shoulder of the road.

Good Luck SANPARKS
P.S. We as visitors must assist SANPARKS and report.
Keep them YR's flying

October 2018, Kruger i'm coming :D :D :D

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!
windsurfer

Unread post by windsurfer »

this is close to my heart as i donated my birthday to allow sanparks to buy a laser gun to catch perpetrators. i did this many years ago and the folks at cape point (to which it was given) were so grateful that it took them three months and several emails to collect the second one. in all my visits to the park ( i am there about ten times a years) i have never sen them using it since they have had it, upon asking rangers when i encounter them them, most of them are not aware they actually posses two of them.
Mateke

Unread post by Mateke »

We spent New Year in the Kruger, and were nearly mown down by a speeding bus on the road between Orpen and Talamati. We did report this at Orpen but as the bus vanished in a cloud of dust the vehicle registration was unclear on photo. I gather that this road is a problem area for delivery contractors, staff movements, etc. especially to and from the private camps down that area.
In addition speeding was a major problem on the road between Letaba and Phalborwa Gate, on the morning of 4 January, with possibly staff members late for work at Letaba?
This is a major thread amongst visitor observations and unless something is done, us law-abiding visitors, who go to Kruger for many reasons, but chief among them for peace and relaxation, will feel more and more aggravated by this, especially if one is quietly watching an animal or bird by the road. :hmz:

mateke
brianfitz

:wall: As regards the speeding problem it would seem that most regular visitors have the same opinion. Two ways of mayber helping the problem are a) as regard day visitors they should have to go out the same gate as they entered. This would stop, in particular the taxi's, the use of the park as a shortcut. I have seen many people that also use the park for a short cut from the north going out Crocodile Bridge to enter Moz. With regards to delivery vechiles, and maybe parks transport, maybe a trip sheet with times showing entry into park, arrival at the destination and vise versa, would help. This is used successfully by my comapny and many others.
Brian F
Kwagga 1

Unread post by Kwagga 1 »

We were in Kruger during July and Septermber school holydays. During September we went for a short drive. about 8km from Skukuza (on the Pretoriuskop road. don't know the road number). As I was about to turn of to a waterhole on the right hand side. This man came past us at about 80km almost took us of the road and still had te nerve to throug us hand sings. So I desided to follow him. I coudn't catch up with him. At one stage I were driving at a speed of 120 km/h just to get his registration number. So when we got to Pretoriuskop I phoned the Numbi gate manager who was unavaileble so I just reported it to the guy who ansered the phone. Am still waiting for them to get back to me.
louis dreyer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by louis dreyer »

Kwagga 1 you must be carefull, you have just admitted that yourself had break the speed limit law in the park.
Keep them YR's flying

October 2018, Kruger i'm coming :D :D :D

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!
Ingala

Unread post by Ingala »

Most definitely is there a speeding problem in Kruger. We only had the chance to get to Kruger for a day trip last year in May. We were frequently overtaken by vehicles whether on tar roads or dirt. It seems that if there is little game to see, lets fly along the road until we get to see something exciting! Not only is it often inconsiderate to the vehicle being overtaken, especially on a dirt road, but what harm can it cause to the park? Apart from the obvious potential of injuring or killing game, i damages the roads especially dirt but causing rutts and corrigations. Its fine to complain and say that there is a sppeding problem but what to do about it? fixed camera points get to be known so dont really stop the problem. I belive that a compulsary tyre deflation at the entry gates to Kruger will go some way to potentially stopping speeding. Make all visitors deflate tyres to a safe yet mimimum pressure for driving. Deflated tyres do restrict speed, unless the driver is a moron and its going to potentially cost him a set of tyre, secondly deflated tyres go a long way in protecting dirt roads form normal damage which should possibly reduce maintenance costs! :shock:
Sundowner

Unread post by Sundowner »

There is definately a problem.

But it's not only visitors, but local Sanparks vehicles and Open vehicle Safari operators" as well.

I remember the one day in a matter of 20 kms, 4 Sanparks vehicles were driving way over the speed limit, and an open vehicle safari operator looked like he was driving on a highway when he approached all of us at a lion sighting, too scared to miss it!

We come to the Kruger to see animals, that's way we drive slowly. If you know spotting is difficult going fast, why speed? And why are you there in the first place?
Live for today, because today is the 'tomorrow' we dreamed about yesterday..

1 Dec: Lower Sabie
2 Dec: Lower Sabie
3 Dec: Malelane
4 Dec: Malelane
Dooms

Unread post by Dooms »

Speeding is a huge problem. By official verhicles, delivery vehicles and tourists. SANPARKS should enforce the rules, not only by issuing speed-fine tickets, but I would suggest banning "speeders" and other offenders (e.g. littering) for life. There are enough other people wanting to visit our National Parks, but they are unable to obtain accomodation. :hmz: :sniper:
gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit »

WE have retriurned from KRUGER a week ago, I am pleased to say that we saw very few speeding incidents. Delivery vehicles were the main culprits, SANPARKS vehicles were driving within what seemed the limits, we set the speed control on 35 kph on the tar roads and 30 kph max on the gravel roads.

What was really disturbing was the behaviour of an OSV with *** Walking Safaris on the door, it was a fawn coloured Landrover, with no passengers only the driver.

An oldish couple were parked just north of the bridge crossing the Sand River watching a troup of Baboons, the RWS Landrover drove up also in a northerly direction and promptly passed; chasing the Baboons off the road and passed. The elderly couple just shook their heads.

The incident happened at approximately 09:45 on 1 June 2010.

It is incidents like this which just upset me and make me think even less of some of these concession holders.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized *** and Lion trade.
Done 159 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.
pietbak

Unread post by pietbak »

Minibus Taxi's from Malelane to Skukuza passed me every morning at high speed for the 5 days I stayed at Ber en Dal. A Sanitation truck also on the road to Lower Sabie.
ZPM

Speeding in the Kruger

Unread post by ZPM »

We visited the KNP on 13th June as day visitors. The very first animal we saw was a Leopard. We enjoyed the day very much. I have one concern though and that is vehicles speeding, specially on the tar roads leading from Phabeni and Kruger gates towards Skukuza. One or two were from Gauteng, but all the others were from tour operators in their green Jeeps and also locals. These people were either on their way to work or going home. We have a video clip of a Toyota Corolla speeding right through a couple of Rooibok crossing the road. This was very upsetting.