Speeding in Kruger

SANParks Competitions and Forum Awards

From what you have actually witnessed, is there presently a speeding problem in Kruger National Park?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 432

wildheart
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildheart »

I casted my vote. Yes they are speeeeeeeeeding!!@#> They clearly do not care about the animals around them so WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY DOING IN THE PARK??????????? :evil:
Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ »

I was nearly wiped out this morning. Turned down to Transport Dam, and was at the last bend when a lunatic in a blue d/cab bakkie hurtled towards me on the wrong side of the road as he had trouble controlling the vehicle on the bend. I held my nerve and he somehow gained control and missed me by millimetres. It was so fast I got no details at all. Frightening.
fazekma

Speeding

Unread post by fazekma »

We spent 14 days in the Kruger Park in December 2007 and travelled from Punda Maria to Crocodile Bridge. There were a few vehicles (tourists, SANParks vehicles and delivery vehicles) that were driving at speeds of about 70 - 80 kms per hour. Nothing too outrageous.

Nothing, however, can beat the Giriyondo road for sheer speed mania. Going to the border post we were overtaken by about 3 vehicles (all tourists) driving at about 100 kms per hour [on a dust road]) and coming around a bend we had a missile coming for us (a white bakkie with something under a blue tarpaulin) doing at least 120 kms per hour. He nearly lost control of his vehicle as he tried to swerve to avoid hitting us - this is sheer recklessness and irresponsible behaviour. It seems that some people see this road as not falling under the authority of either the Limpopo or Mpumalanga authorities. Where are the traffic police? - they could fill a month's quota in just a week on this road - and lock up some dangers to society!
BunnyHugger

Unread post by BunnyHugger »

SANPARKS.

These threads contain enough ammunition and evidence to identify the problem hotspots.

It would be deeply appreaciated by many if these areas were tackled as high priority and the perpetrators brought to book.

Apparently there is a distinct lack of action and IMHO bilieve this makes the lawmakers as guilty as the law-breakers.
Bunny Hugger

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..
Karl Jaacks

Unread post by Karl Jaacks »

Hi Guys :D

I have seen many people speed in the park, most of them were unfortunately parks board, over 60km. :evil:

Karl
Nothing ventured nothing gained, so just do it!!!!!!!
Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Senyetse »

Hi Karl.

I don't know if you know, some, but not all, parks staff are allowed to travel at 65 km/h.
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal
bucky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bucky »

After 10 days in the park, it is apparent that there is neither a desire , or any action to control any aspect of the road law in the park.

some things I witnessed.

At satara -
Traffic officer sets up speed trap at same point every single evening of my 5 night stay there.

10 minutes to gate closing, and 3 km from camp coming from orpen direction, two mini buses full of day visitor school children (We saw them in satara day visitor area before leaving camp) speed past in the direction of orpen, with around 40km to travel in 10 minutes :shock: .
I stop at traffic officers "regular" tree/shrub they are hiding behind, and ask why people are racing to orpen this late, to get told they must have a late travel permit , although they where not stopped and asked why they where going in that direction so late, or checked for a late travel permit, not that it was my understanding these where issued for joyriding purposes anyway.
Surely this person should have stopped them and asked why they are on the road so late, heading away from camp, I asked the traffic officer this question.
I was told it is not her duty, and falls under the section ranger.
What on earth is the point of being a traffic official with this attitude ???

Other satara issues -

People heading north and away from camp just before gate closing, this happened a few times.

We returned from Vutomi dam fairly late one evening, with just enough time to make it to gates when traveling around 45km/hour.
After joining the tar we stopped at the small dam near the baobab tree and where passed(oncoming) by a SANparks staff bus traveling at a good whack heading towards Tshokwane, Was this going all the way to Skukuza still, I can not see that this was a transport to Tshokwane, if so it would be in camp more than an hour and a half late traveling at the maximum speed limit.
This was followed a few minutes later by a sedan (This possibly could have been tshokwane staff)
We got quickly overtaken by a couple in a rental heading towards Satara at more than the allowed speed as I was going 50kph as per my gps at that stage.
Our viewing along the road after that -
3 dead snakes on the oncoming side of the road, and two hornbills on our side.
All fresh road kills.

In a small group watching a lioness that had crossed the road midday near satara camp, some tourists got hooted out the way by a lourie water small delivery truck who was not interested in the car viewing the lion that pulled up and stopped just in front of it (They got there at the same time).
Delivery vehicle drivers need to go on some sort of park road etiquette course before they are allowed to drive in the park imo.

We stayed our last night in Skukuza to get an early start home the next morning.

That afternoon, getting near to skukuza after coming back from transport dam and stopping to photograph klipspringer near the junction of the malelane and numbi roads, we where overtaken by 3 vehicles all going at speed with more than 35km to get to numbi gate or pretoriuskop and only just over 15 minutes left before gate closing.
Going at 50 will get you there about an half an hour late at this pace.

After leaving gates at opening the next morning, and near the renosterpan sand road turn off(h5 i think), a vehicle came past us from the direction of Numbi/malelane.
Where on earth does a car come from at this time of the morning, the closest camp or gate is 40 kilos plus away.

The lack of road rule behavior, and following of rules especially by staff and delivery companies is no longer an isolated thing, it is something you witness every day you are in the park.

What is it going to take to stop this sort of thing ?
A mini bus loaded with school kids hitting an elephant or hippo and causing casualties while racing to gates after dark ?
Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Senyetse »

What is it going to take to stop this sort of thing ?
A mini bus loaded with school kids hitting an elephant or hippo and causing casualties while racing to gates after dark ?

It is unfortunately only a matter of time... :shock:
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal
BunnyHugger

Unread post by BunnyHugger »

Once again Bucky, another elloquently phrased post filled with good points and questions.

I would guess that the only thing that will "put a stop" to the general lack of enforcement of the rules is for someone in a position of authority to actually get up of their posterior and do their job.

We have been wingeing about this and other issues for ages and NOTHING gets done.

The rules are broken daily because the perpetrators know:
a)they will not be caught and
b) IF they are caught, nothing is likely to happen afterwards.

It appears to me that there is a lack of law enforcement and a general lack of care amongst too many staff members. There are too many who just don't care a rats ....

Until this attitue of apathy changes, nothing will be done. That is my prediction.
Bunny Hugger

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..
Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ »

Last night on the way to the cricket dinner I went to look at a Hyena den before going to the golf club. Having the late pass gave me a once in a lifetime opportunity to get some nice photos with no one about..... or so I thought. I eventually left at about 6.10pm to go to the golf club - and had been alone for about 5 minutes only! The other vehicles all headed in the direction of the gates - using both roads at the junction.

Coming away from the dinner late, we were overtaken on the main tar road by a car which eventually turned into the staff village.

Perhaps most of these late drivers going too fast are staff?????? In which case it is high time they were made to clock in and out of villages/destinations so a check can be made on the length of time taken between points and speed checked that way.

At Shingwedzi I was passed by a KNP vehicle travelling fast and around the next corner found a dead vervet in the road and the troop scattering. Could not be sure it was the KNP vehicle at fault as other vehicles had been going both ways too......

But - I have seen plenty of police vehicles and blue light cars about on my trip, and 2 speed checks, one with a dejected driver returning to his bakkie....
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!
Sue Manne

Unread post by Sue Manne »

I have just returned from a 10 night stay in Kruger and can't describe my frustration and anger at the amount of speeding vehichles that I experienced. The Road works going on around Satara with huge 5 ton trucks speeding around and the amount of dead birds on the road made me so angry. All the delivery vehicles that overtake me at speeds in excess of 70km while me while stopped at the side of the road is unacceptable.
I have come to the conclusion that there are Kruger people and "OTHERS." Sanparks seem to accept that it is O.K for the "OTHERS "to carry on their buisness because after all it is a business and they are looking at a budget and making money is their only concern.
We are probably what they call the "greenies" or some other slang word that they have for us. I have never seen so many brand new KNP vehicles as I did this trip so I would imagine that they made budget last year and us "greenies" with all our complaints mean nothing.
So we can go on chirping about the speeding in Kruger and I can gaurantee you that not one KNP car has ever been caught and never will.
"We are a breed unto ourselves and we will never accept the other" :x
Sue
irregular visitor

Speeding in Kruger

Unread post by irregular visitor »

I've just returned from 7 days up at Shingwedzi. My first trip there in more than 20 years.

Yes speeding does occur - how much of a problem it is will relate directly to the 52km/h vs 70km/h, HOWEVER that's not my point...

My recent experience pointed more disobedience of the park's rules by official and service provider vehicles rather than tourists. IOW, parks board vehicles existing from non public gravel roads, delivery vehicles between gates and camps, and staff busses, were by far the biggest culprits.

mh
irregular visitor

Speeding in Kruger

Unread post by irregular visitor »

I'm just back from time up in Shingwedzi after a 20 year absence. Yes speeding definitely does occur *HOWEVER* i witnessed more disregard of the park's regulations by Parks Board employees and service providers. KNP vehicles existing from non-public roads, delivery vehicles between gates and camps and of course the staff busses (mini-busses) were the most profound offenders that we witnessed.
Rules must be equally applied to all. A tourist needing to get back to camp in time is just as important as bread being in the shop at 7am, or staff reaching their clocking machine on time!
henche

Unread post by henche »

Hi Irregular Visitor

Glad you noticed the abuse by Staff and Contractors. Thanks for bringing it to the attention of SANP. They apparantly are not aware of the problem hence the silence on this issue of staff abuse which is out of control.

Henche
restio
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by restio »

KNP Spokesman wrote:Many of you have often said on this forum that we don't seem to care or that we lack resolve or we have even buried our heads in the sand as management. I just want to put on the record that these comments couldn't be futher from the truth.

Our efforts to address rule breakers has included:

* Increased measures against our own staff who are caught breaking the rules (they are now not only fined but they are also severely disciplined according to our HR/IR policies). Further to that, all official vehicles have got "black boxes" in them which measure things like speed, distance, time etc and a number of staff members have been disciplined in this regard;

* Regular "tactical" meetings with all role players, who include the SAPS, SANDF, SANParks CIS, KNP Protection Services, KNP Rangers and the State Prosecutors (as we have found an alarming tendancy that many fines have been squashed by the Dept of Justice);

* Added deployments of SAPS, KNP Protection Services and KNP Rangers during peak seasons. LeighVlasso mentions this in the post above and I would like to confirm here that this is indeed done. I have also posted information about this issue on various other threads.

* Increased communication efforts for both staff members and the public about the rules and regulations.

See full post here.