Speeding in Kruger

SANParks Competitions and Forum Awards

From what you have actually witnessed, is there presently a speeding problem in Kruger National Park?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 432

carolynn

Re: Speeding in the Kruger

Unread post by carolynn »

Welcome to the forums ZPM - glad to hear you enjoyrd your day in Kruger - was it your first visit? :D Unfortunately, the problem of speeding in Kruger is an ongoing one and one for which there seems to be no successful solution at the moment :cry:
Live each day as if it's your last... and one day you'll be right!
ZPM

Unread post by ZPM »

Hi Carolynn,

No it wasnt our first vissit. We have been their a number of times.
The sad thing is that we escape from Pretoria and Johannesburg to go enjoy some quiet time away from the traffic and stupid drivers.
I rather get of the tarred roads and enjoy driving on the "dirty" gravel roads. Other people tend to be calmer on these roads. As soon as they are back on the tarred roads, they think nothing of it to pick up speed.
I will see if I can post the video clip of the speeding Toyota Corolla.
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist »

Ho hum, back to the stuck record.......
Whatever : "You are right but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Latest lifers: Red-rumped Swallow, Red Phalarope, Purple Gallinule, Chukar Partridge, Australasian Gannet, Brown Booby

Latest World Lifer: White tailed eagle
windsor

Re: Speeding in Kruger

Unread post by windsor »

Was just at the park this past weekend and unfortunately lots of speeders. Both visitors/workers and work trucks. We also like the dirt roads for the same reason...to get away from these idiots :sniper: and have an enjoyable, quiet day in the bush!!
6/09 - Punda
10/09 - Sabie and Skuks
12/09 - Berg-en-dal
3/10 - Skuks and Satara
7/10 - Olifants and Skuks
Ouma Biskuit
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Ouma Biskuit »

There has not been a single time that we have gone to KNP and not seen staff and visitors breaking the rule. This pretty much happens across the board at all parks to some degree I guess. :wall:
louis dreyer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by louis dreyer »

We've been to pretoriuskop this past weekend. I can't say that we've seen speedsters.

As soon as they see the YR everybody behave.
Keep them YR's flying

October 2018, Kruger i'm coming :D :D :D

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!
Africandream

Unread post by Africandream »

Speeding is without any doubt on the increase in the KNP.
My concern is that more and more cars,trucks and taxis are using the park as a convient short cut,ie crocodile bridge to Kruger gate and I agree with the comments made by 'Senyetse' the park is being used as an alternative transport route.
We need more votes!
Africandream.
Vlakvarkvrou
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Vlakvarkvrou »

Africandream,
I have voted!!!!

This picture shows the result of a 4x4 speeding in the KNP during July 2010.
It spoiled the whole day for us!

Ouma Biskuit
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Ouma Biskuit »

And if speeding is not the only problem in KNP it is peoples failure to stop at stop streets. As the sign indicates STOP does not spell hesitate as witnessed outside Skukuza :x None of the ten cars we watched came to a full stop
adw
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by adw »

There is no doubt in my mind that speeding is getting out of control in the park particularly in the south.
Firstly in the Satara area I did not see too much speeding and I was pleased to see speed traps on the various tar roads in the vicinity of Satara. Those that appeared to be speeding were mainly those vehicles that belong either to staff or staff of concession holders but nothing too excessive.( I presume their speed limit is 65 km/h)
However when I was leaving the park I decided to travel via The H10, H4-1 and then the H3.
The speeding on the H4-1 and H3 was an absolute disgrace mainly by visitors. One guy in a white Prado overtook me on the H4-1 doing at least 100km/h. When I flashed lights at him all I got was the one fingered salute. Another culprit was an elderly man driving a grey Mercedes C class on the H3 also doing about 100km/h. When I flashed lights at him I did see his brake lights being applied (via my rear view mirror). At least he had the decency to slow down.
These were the worst 2 cases. There were other cases of speeding but not quite at the speed these two motorists were doing. When I reprimanded certain motorists I was subject to verbal abuse including one who was feeding vervet monkeys.
During my entire trip in the south I did not see one speed trap. Quite honestly the Park is partially to blame here. Over weekends they must simply have more patrols by official vehicles and more speed traps. I have no sympathy whatsoever for anyone who receives a speeding ticket in the Park. Come on Parks board, you can do better in this regard.
*** Poaching - Highlight's man's stupidity and greediness.
ossendryver
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ossendryver »

not really
but have come across some and they ruined the sighting
pops

Unread post by pops »

Yes there is a lot of speeding in KNP. There are those with the KNP decal stuck to their windscreens, transporting staff as well as staff members in their private vehicles, officialKNP vehicles, JJ's from Thompsons and EcoAfrica, delivery vehicles, Mozambique registered vehicles and other tourists going to sightings.

Senyetse you are not totally correct to say that only KNP staff have the decals the taxi and other vehicles transporting staff as wel as staff from the concessions have these decals.

Please lets find a way of reducing the speeding.
michel367

Unread post by michel367 »

15-11-2010.
A cement truck coming from Mopani towards Masorini with great speed and the driver was on his cellphone. We "flagged" him to slow down as there was a small herd of elephant behind us, but he did not listen.
Later, upon returning to Phalaborwa, there were huge tiremarks at the turnoff that went straight into the bush along the road.

Numerous other speeding vehicles we have noticed in that month.
Not only Sanparks, SAPS, etc, but all other "types". :wall: :wall:
combretum

Unread post by combretum »

As a regular visitor - usually twice a month - I witness regular speeding. The most common culprits in order are:
- Delivery vehicles
- Taxis
- Jeep Jockies
- SanParks staff transport busses
bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bert »

Been back from my march trip and except for the odd one did not see speeders.
The south and middle
Not from tourists, OSV or delivery trucks