Speeding in Kruger

SANParks Competitions and Forum Awards

From what you have actually witnessed, is there presently a speeding problem in Kruger National Park?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 432

DinkyBird

Speeding in Kruger

Unread post by DinkyBird »

Dear members,

Speeding seems to be a major problem in Kruger and we get the feeling that most members have witnessed speeding while in the Park. Before we do an in depth poll, we need to know if the majority share the same concern. Please vote yes or no. The intention of this poll is not to point fingers, or lay blame anywhere, but to evaluate the number/percentage of members who partake.

Please only post a short summery of your experiences to back up your vote in this topic.

Discussion re speeding in Kruger may take place here -
Speeding in the Parks.

The Mod Team
Last edited by DinkyBird on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Dalene
Jumbo

Unread post by Jumbo »

Yip, from my personal experience, speeding is most definitely a major problem in Kruger, but not just Kruger. Parks like Kgalagadi and West Coast National Park are also affected.

This is not a park specific issue; this is a problem that the senior management of SANParks should address for ALL their parks.
DavenJan
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DavenJan »

Last New Year staying at Letaba late afternoon, cars speeding off towards Phalaborwa gate making for uncomfortable driving.
general impatience is also a problem. for example at sightings people take risks to get past, and also overtaking on blind bends and rises.
Long live Cricket@Skukuza

Si thi

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!
Senyetse
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Senyetse »

Yes, speeding is huge a problem in all parks, particularly in my experience KNP and Golden Gate (the national road passing through). On 3 visits to KNP ths year we experienced that most vehicles were speeding. When travelling at speed limit everywhere we are constantly overtaken by private vehicles, contractors, supplier trucks, vans, OSV's and minibus taxis. Speeding occurs on both tar and gravel, with most being obviously on tar. I have not noted much speeding by SANParks vehicles althoug hI have seen very few SANParks vehicles on the roads. A problem area is the road from Punda Maria gate to the border post at Pafuri with vehicles using this road simply as a transport route, having no interest whatsoever in the national park.

Speeding completely destroys the sense of place of a place like Kruger National Park, ruining sightings and the complete experience.
Dec '11 - Storms River
June '12 - Berg-en-Dal
francoisd
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by francoisd »

As said Kruger is not the only SANPark where this happen. Just go down to West Coast NP on a weekend to do some birding. Nearly impossible to stop on the twisty parts of the tar road as people come charging around blind corners at speed.

As far as Kruger goes this past September visit we saw numerous cars speeding past us, the majority being tourist vehicles and notably 4x4s.

We did encounter speeding by:
- Taxi at high speed between Lake Panic and Skukuza
- Bus with primary school children between Skukuza and Berg-en-Dal
- 3 OSV vehicles in convoy between Satara and Skukuza
- 1 military vehicle (bakkie) which also had 4 people on the open back
- And then numerous tourist vehicles on tar as well as gravel roads. Seemed as some were practicing for a career in motor rallies the way they sped on the gravel

It is especially notable late afternoon before gate closing when some people try and visit a waterhole etc for the last time before they have to be in camp. S100 and H7 was good examples of this during our stay at Satara.
"The measure of life is not its duration but its donation." - Peter Marshall
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/francois700926/
Brummie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Brummie »

I was only in the Park for 5 days in July yet every day I was frequently overtaken by speeding vehicles. Having said that, possibly because of the roads we travelled, all were 'tourist' vehicles.
Brummie factoid - "Birmingham has more Km of canals than Venice"
shoshana

Speeding in the kruger

Unread post by shoshana »

I was in the park two years ago with my daughter and son-in-law. We went on an organised game drive early one morning. To begin with the driver drove so slowly we all started to sleep but on the way back to camp he was going well above the speed limit makin game viewing very difficult. I really believe the speed limits are there for a reason and should be adhered to at all times
Shoshana Stern
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist »

Some memorable highlights.
On the Olifants approach road, a supply truck lost control on a corner and luckily I was able to turn into the northern dirt road to avoid it narrowly as it came onto my side of the road. Hein could do nothing because I had no reg no or other info, because it was going so FAST.
On the Talamati dirt road, staff overtook me as I was following loping hyenas, and they chased them off as they sped away. I reported it at T, but got a disarming smile.

I am sure that forumites could build up an impressive dossier on this.

I went to the WCNP birding day 2 weeks ago and on the way home, saw a group of motorcyclists weaving through the cars behind me. I weaved in front of them and showed them a 50 sign. They all slowed down to 50 and did not try to overtake. :clap: Sometimes it just needs a small action. We turned a bend and an ostrich was in the middle of the road. I (and the now convoy) was able to stop in time until it orientated itself and ran off.
Whatever : "You are right but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Latest lifers: Red-rumped Swallow, Red Phalarope, Purple Gallinule, Chukar Partridge, Australasian Gannet, Brown Booby

Latest World Lifer: White tailed eagle
dianne
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by dianne »

We need some more votes here please!
Dianne Tipping-Woods
Jumbo

Unread post by Jumbo »

This may not be possible, but what about putting a notice re this poll on the main page? I do not think many people really come and look at the “poll” section on the forum. This topic also did not display under “latest on the forum” on the main page when it was created.
elpaco
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by elpaco »

speeding is a widespread disease in most national parks and from what I have witnessed, it involves all kind of drivers : staff, suppliers, workers and visitors :evil:
I need to figure out how I can come to the KNP for 3 months
Looking for a Pel's ...
kaaskop

Unread post by kaaskop »

This may not be possible, but what about putting a notice re this poll on the main page?

I second Jumbo's idea about the main page. This is a sickness that is spreading in all the parks and the country. Let's hope something can be done about this. If we sit back, nothing is going to happen.
richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by richardharris »

I think the main problem is the example set by official vehicles, and what I often suspect is family of Parks staff.

There is no reason for them to drive faster than the rest of us, except in very rare emergencies.

Tourists will never stick to the rules whilst constantly being overtaken by staff vehicles, lorries etc.

Richard
bert

Unread post by bert »

Yep
And i mostly saw normal tourist vehicles. Sedan and 4x4
DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird »

kaaskop wrote:
This may not be possible, but what about putting a notice re this poll on the main page?

I second Jumbo's idea about the main page.

Will ask Diannet to look at doing this.

FYI - there is a link to the poll forum on the homepage.
- Dalene