Scorpions

Find, identify & discuss the insects of SANParks

Moderator: lion queen

Yoda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Scorpions - Best place in Kruger?

Unread post by Yoda »

gjorgi wrote:Doen anyone know where one can buy a UV torch?

I have seen some cheap and cheerful ones on Ebay.

Otherwise, Google "Jonathan Leeming Scorpions" He has some info on his website.
Stephens.L
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Stephens.L »

Please note that we do have Scorpions everywhere in the park. They reside in different vegetations within the park e.g some are more dominant in the mountains. However, Parabuthus scorpions are more dangerous compared to others. Above all scorpions are more active in summer.

We have a scientifc musueam as Skukuza wherein, all Scorpions which are dominant in the park are displayed as well as information on their behaviour.
Regards

Stephens Ledwaba
Communications and Marketing Department
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116
[email protected]
suebfly

Unread post by suebfly »

Saw loads and loads in Shimuwini in December . Did not walk a step outside without a torch they were all round the cottage. I bought a brilliant uv light on line from a supplier in Johannesburg found by google - was not cheap but makes the scorpions look like aliens = stunning
Batmad
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Scorpion, Transvaal Thick Tailed

Unread post by Batmad »

Whilst in Letaba rest camp doing some work on bats at the beginning of the year I encountered this fella, Parabuthus transvaalicus, an awesome specimen and I was beyond privileged to have spent time admiring it!

For those of you who do not know, this species, and in fact all the other species in this family, are considered medically important and one should seek medical attention immediately if stung. One should also be careful of getting too close to some of the individuals in this family as they are said to be able to spray their venom a short distance however I have never personally had the privilege of seeing this.

Tour Leader for Birding Ecotours | Aspiring Conservationist | Birdventurer
PNF
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Scorpion, Transvaal Thick Tailed

Unread post by PNF »

Ah! yes! We found one of these in our chalet in Shingwedzi last November....... in the bedding :shock:
Fortunately neither of us were stung and, having reported it to the camp manager, it was removed and deposited back into the veldt. It had apparently made a nest(?) in the base of the bed underneath the mattress and could have been there for some time.
Would not recommend walking barefoot when these are around.........
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote
Benjamin Franklin
Yoda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Scorpions

Unread post by Yoda »

So I bought myself a UV torch.

Searched the ground and trees thoroughly in the camps we stayed in: Skukuza and Satara yielded nothing.

But there were loads of these in the trees at Lower Sabie.
Mostly in small holes or under bark, but this one came out and was walking along a branch.

Using a normal torch.

Under the UV torch.
Yoda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda »

Trrp-trrrrrrrr wrote::big_eyes: That is one massive scorpion :clap: ...Yoda.

Thanks for sharing :thumbs_up:

Thanks.
Yup, it was about 10cm or so.

Does anyone know what species it is?
I have Jonathan Leeming's book, but can't quite seem to match it up.
kssager

Unread post by kssager »

I am coming to Kruger for the first full week in August. Trying to see as much wildlife as possible, and this includes the little ones as well. Definitely would like to see a scorpion. However, I know it will be winter there. What are the chances that I would be able to see scorpion in August? 3 nights croc bridge, 3 nights Tamboti. Was going to purchase a UV flashlight, but may hold off if no chance in seeing one. Thanks in advance for any help.
George_Brits
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by George_Brits »

Hi Kssager,

You get relatively cheap UV flash lights (priced around R100) if you want to go scorpion hunting, although they are less active in wintertime during the really cold nights.

Please just ensure that you don't lift rocks while you are scorpion hunting as you might discover something bigger than a scorpion and that will liven things up a bit :lol:
George_Brits
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by George_Brits »

Snoobab wrote:Need some advice. I really enjoy scorpion searching at night with my UV lights but there has to be a trick. Last year the first week in October we were in Satara camp and almost every tree I shone my light there was a scorpion. In November I was in Punda and I looked everywhere and did not see one scorpion. This year first week October we were in Skukuza first and then Croc Bridge and once again no Scorpions at all. Is there a certain climate or temperate or what is the trick? I'm back in Punda on 19-22 Nov and would love to see some there.
Thanks

Hi Snoobab,

WHEN

1. The best times to "hunt" seem to be 1-2 hours after dark. Early morning before sunrise is good too.
2. Just after it rains (at night) is an ideal time to hunt. As the rain flushes out scorpions.
3. New moon or cloudy nights are better.

WHERE

1. Strangely enough, on sides of trees that does not face the setting sun, so, look on the east side
2. Between leaf litter
3. Cracks and rocks... but obviously there might be other types of slithering crawlies hidden.

I hope you come right as this usually works for me.
RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RemiE »

This one is for all the ‘gogga’ Geeks out there.

On 2 March 2016 walking along the Letaba River Camp Fence with our spot light, I nearly doubled over when I go stung by a very innocent, very non venomous tiny scorpion. Trust me I thought it was the end of me.......non-stop pain. The Camp Manager on Duty was called, and after a few allergy pills mixed with some pain pills, and a few glasses of something soothing and strong it was safe to say I was rattled but okay, (and now my ‘slops’ are retired permanently from Kruger Vacations).
This incident was needless to say a highlight to some extend and we became more aware of the other residents in the camps

On 5 March 2016 late the night we met a nice man at Balule strolling around camp with his purple light and after I told him about my encounter he educated us on the various scorpions and sniffled out a more poisonous chap much to our delight. And here some photos to share with my fellow mites.

I forgot the name of this particular species and besides all I remember when I look at it is to WEAR CLOSED SHOES

And this is the chap that you do not want a sting from
Attachments
Scorpion calmly removed away from people, just in case..........
Scorpion calmly removed away from people, just in case..........
Scorpion in UV Light
Scorpion in UV Light
Scorpion on the move amongst people
Scorpion on the move amongst people
Last edited by RemiE on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
Grit1962
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Grit1962 »

We have seen this scorpion in KTP on November 27 in Rooiputs Camp no. 1. It was a humid and stormy evening and 5 !!! of these guys were running around and under our A-Frame. (Believe me, we were early in bed that night….)

Does anyone know what species it is? Seems to be a poisonous one due to his small pincers.
GRT09180a.jpg

Thank you
Grit1962
26-Nov 2023 to 19-Feb 2024 - From Capetown to Kruger and back
Cantona
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Cantona »

Hi Grit1962

I think it is Parabuthus granulatus, commonly known as the granulated thick-tailed scorpion which is one of the more venomous scorpion species of the region. It causes most of the serious cases of envenomation in South Africa, and a few people die each year from their sting. They are very active on windy/stormy evenings and you made the right call going to bed early.

Any fat tailed scorpion should be avoided. The fat tail implies that it uses it's pincers to grab prey and the tail to kill it using venom.
Andy M
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Andy M »

Hello Grit1962.

Your scorpion is most likely a Rough Thicktail scorpion (Parabuthus granulatus).

It was probably a very good idea that you were early to bed that night as this is the most venomous scorpion in Southern Africa.

Read more on this scorpion here: https://www.africansnakebiteinstitute.c ... hern-cape/

Andy M
Grit1962
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Grit1962 »

Thank you Cantona and Andy M for the identification. :gflower:

Grit1962
26-Nov 2023 to 19-Feb 2024 - From Capetown to Kruger and back