Scorpions

Find, identify & discuss the insects of SANParks

Moderator: lion queen

Tabs
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Tabs »

Good Advice 2 - Never reach into anything you can't clearly see eg. pots, your bags etc.

Amen to that! Although I am not afraid of any creepy-crawly-critter, the scorpion stings that I mentioned above came about during a visit to my Nursery's sponsored child in a very remote area in Kenya.

His mother had made a clay pot for me as a thank you gift. After receiving the gift I took it over to the World Vision vehicle and found a carrier bag to wrap it in, tucking the bag inside the pot, afraid that it may break on the goat track 'road' back to Nyatiki.

Unbeknown to me, a small scorpion had made it's home in the bottom of the pot and when I received the (very painful) double sting (on the heel of my hand and the first joint of my little finger) as I wrapped it, I simply assumed that there was a piece of thorn tree inside the pot which I had caught my hand on.

That night in Nyatiki and the following 3 days, which I spent visiting friends in Capetown, I was feeling quite ill with breathing difficulties and abdominal pains but assumed that I had caught a nasty virus - until I was packing for the next leg of my trip to Johannesburg and saw, on the bedroom floor next to the pot, a very large 'ant'.

My CT friend came to look and was horrified to see that it was a tiny thick-tailed scorp, subsequently identified in Joeys (I took it with me in a jar) by a Field-guide friend as a baby buthidae! She asked about my symptoms, looked at the swellings on my hand and wanted to take me to hospital immediately but, as it had, by then, been 4 days since being stung I declined as I was not only still breathing but the symptoms had also gone.

My Field guide friend said that I was extremely lucky that it was a baby scorp because, although their venom is as powerful as that of an adult, it's sting was small and she could only presume that it had not penetrated beyond the upper skin layers which meant that I had not recieved the 'full dose' of venom and/or that only a tiny amount of venom had entered my bloodstream.

In spite of this, I am still facinated by scorps and other venomous critters.
Twiga
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Twiga »

bwana wrote: I am sure poisenous or not a sting would be incredibly painful.

My mother was stung by a scorpion when I was a baby. She was busy bathing me and went to get a facecloth out of the cupboard to wash my face. She felt a prick and proceeded to shake the facecloth out over the bath (with baby sitting in it!) when a scorpion fell out. She quickly grabbed me out with one hand and then went to the doctor. Luckily it was'nt poisonous (thick-tailed) but her hand was swollen to double it's normal size and was EXTREMELY painful for weeks afterwards. In case anyone is wondering, we lived in Windhoek in Namibia for a couple of years.
Krugerholic!!

The world belongs to the energetic
Darwin

Unread post by Darwin »

A lot of scorpions at KTP as well... especially hot, windy summer nights!

ALWAYS check your shoes in the morning before putting them on! And don't stick your hand into a hole... I know that it is stupid but sometimes you do things without thinking... and from experience a scorpion stung is quite painful! :redface:

However they don't deserve to be killed so just be on the lookout, wear closed shoes - especially at night and take care!
Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha »

Although a lot of scorpion stings occur on the feet, it seems that we do not protect our hands ! A pair of thick leather gloves now accompany us to all NP holidays and weekends. Hubby was stung on the finger when taking wood out of the bag ...and by one of the most venomous scorpions as well. He just made it to the Phalaborwa hospital...
I also had an encounter with a Pharabuthus in Kgalagadi once (was in April), was not stung, but it was close.....
bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bert »

If camping in arid parks best thing is to take your shoes with you in the sleeping compartment of the tent.
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist »

Scorpions will not attack, they just defend themselves when threatened. Most stings occur when the stung person was not aware of the scorpion.
I have seen quite a few in KTP from close range and they just want to get away or be left in peace.
Whatever : "You are right but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Latest lifers: Red-rumped Swallow, Red Phalarope, Purple Gallinule, Chukar Partridge, Australasian Gannet, Brown Booby

Latest World Lifer: White tailed eagle
Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

That counts for most wild animals, they are more scared of us than we of them. But we do share the same environment, and this little bugger climbed into our wood - always a place to be aware of scorpions!
Because hospitals and dr's are often so far from these places, the treatment is quite important and one has to be prepared. ICE AND CELESTAMINE. O and my doctor told me to give the person a hand-ful of cortizones immediately with the celestamines, it works. But ice is no.1
wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman »

muldooy wrote:He just made it to the Phalaborwa hospital...

As far as I understand people don't die from the venom itself, but rather from shock instead.
Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Wildtuinman, quite correct. When my hubby arrived at Phalaborwa hospital they kept him overnight for observation, reason being that his blood pressure went through the roof! Apparently it is the body's response to the pain and that is the danger. But the ice helped to keep the pain in control and the venom from spreading faster. They immediately gave him a local anaesthetic to stop the pain.
madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by madach »

An easy way to find scorpions at night is by using an ultra violet light.
Scorpions will reflect the ultra violet light in the same way as white T-shirts reflect blacklight (is that also ultra violet light?).
I have a small torch that has only one ultra violet LED but with that torch I can find scorpions up to 6 meters away.
If you walk in a camp at night you'll be amazed how many scorpions you can find.
Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yes it is good to share these experiences with others, can only help.
I believe the most important is also to get the victim into a vehicle and start driving immediately to the closest hospital.
Take the scorpion with if you can.
Always have more than just the driver and the victim in the car - someone else who can help when there is an emergency so the driver does not have to stop.
Also a lesson we learnt.
We should actually open a post "what to do in an emergency" in the Parks - may save a life.
ScorpionKing

Scorpions and UV

Unread post by ScorpionKing »

Hi Folks
it's been known for many years that scorpions flouresce under UV light (small, directable beam, low power consumption, waterproof, lion proof). Wavelengths of around 395nm are best for scorpions and it's handy to note that UV LED torches are most suitable. Although scorpions show up under UV light, elephants, barbedwire fences and warthog burrows do not. Makes looking for scorpion in big 5 reserve very interesting. Another thing you need to be aware of is that UV light at this wavelength is not good for you eyes (never look directly into the beam). We wear amber safety glasses for prolonged periods of use.

Anyone interested in joining a spider or scorpion related activity (lecture, night walk, weekend away, ID course) should check out the events section of my site. Many of these activities are hosted by wildlife organisations and reserves. Please support them.

Kind regards

Jonathan
Jonathan Leeming
Safrica

Re: Scorpions

Unread post by Safrica »

almost stepped on this buddy in Lower Sabie Camp at night - good thing I had a torch :wink:

Have no clue about the different types of scorpions but I try to stay away from all of them anyway :wink:
Scorpion
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Scorpion »

This were one of our X-mas visitors one year - he looks like a mean one but he is rather harmless.

ImageLarge

I've heard that you can judge how venomous a scorpions' sting will be b the size of their pinchers - the bigger the pincher the smaller the sting!
Last edited by Elsa on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pic resizing.
Enlightenment isn't switching on the light: it's seeing in the dark.
ScorpionKing

Unread post by ScorpionKing »

There is a document on my website which shows very clearly how to tell a highly venomous scorpions from a weakly venomous scorpion. In short, scorpions with thin tails and large pincers (ie Cheloctonus sp.) are less venomous than scorpions with large tails and small pincers (ie Parabuthus sp.)

We have one of the least venomous scorpions in the world. in the Northern parts of the Kruger Park you'll find some of the largest individuals you'll ever find in South Africa. I was recently at Pumashana in Zimbabwe where we found scorpions over 22cm in length. They were so cute!

Scorpion... Your... scorpion (no pun intended) is Cheloctonus jonesii :D

Kind regards

Jonathan
Jonathan Leeming