Table Mountain NP: ANIMALS

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

MATTHYS

Re: Table Mountain National Park (Animal) updates...

Unread post by MATTHYS »

Your query has been forwarded to SANParks PR, AstroMatt.
aquila non capit muscas
AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt »

Kgalagadi Leopard Project
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014
Lesego
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lesego »

AstroMatt wrote:I was wondering if someone from SANParks could tell me what the three camera traps on the road to Olifantsbos beach are studying?
They are about 1km on the left before you get to the beach. They are pointing at the ground and so I was wondering if they were studying something unusual?

Hi Astromat;

I have sent an email to my colleagues in Table Mountain and have asked for their assistance in finding out more about the cameras.
AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Lesego.

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014
Lesego
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lesego »

Dear Astromatt and forumites;

At any given time there are 30 plus research studies being undertaken in the TMNP. Many of the studies employ camera traps and there are at least three applications using camera traps. The cameras are part of an existing research which we are not able to provide specifics at this current time.
AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for digging for me.
It's a shame you weren't able to find out what these ones were specifically doing as they clearly weren't just there counting the usual animals.
Thanks

F1/2014
lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

TMNP: Caracal sighting

Unread post by lion queen »

Last edited by lion queen on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West
Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Table Mountain NP: ANIMALS

Unread post by Graham_5000 »

I visited Cape Point today. Have all the baboons been destroyed? I didn't see a single one, despite spending many hours driving and hiking around!

Also, I don't suppose there is a census of the animals that currently live within the Cape Point section of TMNP?

Thanks
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS »

Also, I don't suppose there is a census of the animals that currently live within the Cape Point section of TMNP?

I don't know if there is a fairly recent census of these animals, but will see if I can get info on this, Graham_5000.
aquila non capit muscas
Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MATTHYS wrote:

I don't know if there is a fairly recent census of these animals, but will see if I can get info on this, Graham_5000.

Thanks, that would be great.
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS »

SANParks Regional Communications Manager - Cape Region forwarded this to the CRC and they ( thanks to all of them :gflower: ) have this info for us, Graham_5000 :

We recently flew a census in April but the report takes a while to write as we have to work on the population flux models to look at the population growth. We publish the annual animal abundance report for SANParks in June after all the censuses have taken place. Once I have the report I can send it to you.

I can say that we have over 30 baboons in Cape Point :)
aquila non capit muscas
Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh »

Interesting to know Matthysie now it would be great know what stats that have for the rest of the animals
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.
Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

MATTHYS wrote:SANParks Regional Communications Manager - Cape Region forwarded this to the CRC and they ( thanks to all of them :gflower: ) have this info for us, Graham_5000 :

We recently flew a census in April but the report takes a while to write as we have to work on the population flux models to look at the population growth. We publish the annual animal abundance report for SANParks in June after all the censuses have taken place. Once I have the report I can send it to you.

I can say that we have over 30 baboons in Cape Point :)

Thanks Matthys - that is very interesting. I look forward to the report following April's census. I would imagine it will be released at some point later in the year?
Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0898378136

Interesting Facebook post, with a photo.

It says:

"I went into the Cape Point Nature Reserve on Sunday and saw the Eland herd near Buffels Bay.

I noticed that the Eland look different to other Eland that I have observed elsewhere in that:

- Their horns are very much slimmer, lack the characteristic heft and twirl of "normal" Eland and in several cases seem to be bent/deformed.
- At least one of them seems to be suffering badly from mange on its face.

I was wondering whether these Eland are given supplements? I imagine the fynbos is not very nutritious. I was also wondering about the restricted gene pool that such a herd would have if new animals are not brought it - does SANParks refresh the herd?

Attached is a photograph that I took; this eland has pathetic skinny horns and looks as though its face is covered with mange."
shfish

Unread post by shfish »

I'm following this thread with interest. Thanks Graham_5000 (and Rob) for raising this matter.