Natures Valley Advice

Knysna, Tsitsikamma, Wilderness

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

nicksteroonie

Natures Valley Advice

Unread post by nicksteroonie »

Has anyone camped at Natures Valley recently? We have booked 7 to 9 nights of camping there over Christmas this year.

Couple of questions:

1. I saw a review of the camp site recording in 2020/21 where the reviewer stated that Baboons are a massive problem and ripped peoples tents open daily causing lots of damage. I would like to find out if this is still as much of a problem?

2. We have a no power site but we are fully kitted for solar and we often camp offgrid. But it looks very shady there, with a long enough cable is it possible to get some sun for portable solar panels?

3. Overall, is the camp site worth a 7 night visit? We have visited Natures Valley town once before but never stayed there, I know the beach is fantastic and there are some lovely hikes but would like to get an idea from people that have spent a holiday there?

We are travelling all the way from the North Coast of KZN so wondering if its worth the distance?

Thanks so much
lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: Natures Valley Advice

Unread post by lion queen »

nicksteroonie wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:50 am Has anyone camped at Natures Valley recently? We have booked 7 to 9 nights of camping there over Christmas this year.

Couple of questions:

1. I saw a review of the camp site recording in 2020/21 where the reviewer stated that Baboons are a massive problem and ripped peoples tents open daily causing lots of damage. I would like to find out if this is still as much of a problem?

2. We have a no power site but we are fully kitted for solar and we often camp offgrid. But it looks very shady there, with a long enough cable is it possible to get some sun for portable solar panels?

3. Overall, is the camp site worth a 7 night visit? We have visited Natures Valley town once before but never stayed there, I know the beach is fantastic and there are some lovely hikes but would like to get an idea from people that have spent a holiday there?

We are travelling all the way from the North Coast of KZN so wondering if its worth the distance?

Thanks so much
Hi nicksteroonie,

I'm sure a friendly mite will be along soon to help out with all your questions.

Meanwhile have a look at Natures Valley Info

RichardJ posted lots of info and photos of his visit end last year.

Enjoy your visit.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West
RichardJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RichardJ »

nicksteroonie wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:50 am Has anyone camped at Natures Valley recently? We have booked 7 to 9 nights of camping there over Christmas this year.

Couple of questions:

Thanks so much
Hi nicksteroonie

As LQ mentioned, we camped with our caravan for a month, from mid October 2022 to mid November 2022.

We had a open grassed stand, which gave us some privacy.

Although most of the non-electrified stands are inside the forest, there are a number of grassed stands near the entrance with little shade, ie plenty of sun.

The main ablutions has a large kitchen with a couple of chest freezers and fridges, 2 stoves etc probably the best equipped of all Sanparks kitchens (that I have seen).

I was not bored at all, plenty of trails around the camp. Fantastic birding (had African Emerald, Klaas's and Red-Chested Cuckoo within 30 Minutes. Great sightings of Narina Trogon, Tambourine and Lemon Doves etc and many more) inside the camp. Nearby towards Plett you have the Craggs with its many attractions. You have the lagoon too (Sanparks did not have their canoes available .... the only draw back, but i borrowed one that a neighbour's rescued, an abandoned one).

Baboons. Only saw them on about 2 occasions. We were out and very few people in camp when they tackled a novice's campsite. They tipped their ammo boxes and raided everything edible. They made a mess of the camp dustbins etc So only one "bad" experience within the month.

Perhaps a full campsite in December would deter them ?

Monkeys were around, the ever opportunists, catapult seems to keep them at bay.

My personal view is that baboons and monkeys will not keep me away from any wild life setting.

Enjoy the trip and visit, and let us know about your experience.
Starlings, Shrikes and Rollers. KNP Jan to March 21

Faces of the Kgalagadi - December 2020

The Circle of Life - retirement tour 2019
nicksteroonie

Unread post by nicksteroonie »

RichardJ wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:37 pm
Hi nicksteroonie

As LQ mentioned, we camped with our caravan for a month, from mid October 2022 to mid November 2022.

We had a open grassed stand, which gave us some privacy.

Although most of the non-electrified stands are inside the forest, there are a number of grassed stands near the entrance with little shade, ie plenty of sun.

The main ablutions has a large kitchen with a couple of chest freezers and fridges, 2 stoves etc probably the best equipped of all Sanparks kitchens (that I have seen).

I was not bored at all, plenty of trails around the camp. Fantastic birding (had African Emerald, Klaas's and Red-Chested Cuckoo within 30 Minutes. Great sightings of Narina Trogon, Tambourine and Lemon Doves etc and many more) inside the camp. Nearby towards Plett you have the Craggs with its many attractions. You have the lagoon too (Sanparks did not have their canoes available .... the only draw back, but i borrowed one that a neighbour's rescued, an abandoned one).

Baboons. Only saw them on about 2 occasions. We were out and very few people in camp when they tackled a novice's campsite. They tipped their ammo boxes and raided everything edible. They made a mess of the camp dustbins etc So only one "bad" experience within the month.

Perhaps a full campsite in December would deter them ?

Monkeys were around, the ever opportunists, catapult seems to keep them at bay.

My personal view is that baboons and monkeys will not keep me away from any wild life setting.

Enjoy the trip and visit, and let us know about your experience.
Richard, thanks so much for your response, it is much appreciated!