Structures being built on TMNP land

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Structures being built on TMNP land

Unread post by Graham_5000 »

I'm not sure who to address this to, as it's SANParks' and not City of Cape Town land that being affected.

In recent days, some informal structures have been set up at the top of Imizamo Yethu, some on the fire break, and some above the fire break. Looking at a map, it seems it's SANParks' land that has been affected.

Can SANParks ensure that this encroachment doesn't happen? There was a huge fire just a few years ago; another tragedy could happen any day now.

There is a British journalist here asking locals some questions as he wants to do a short film for a news channel - I suggested he make contact with SANParks directly. I'd personally be keen though to hear SANParks' position on the encroachment, as someone who is a massive supporter of the work the organisation does.

The fire a few years ago made global news. I hope that things can be addressed before another crisis..
Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Structures being built on TMNP land

Unread post by Hugh »

Noted I do hope SANParks hears about it maybe contact the Table Mountain Honorary Rangers group too plus SANParks locally
The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.
Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Structures being built on TMNP land

Unread post by Graham_5000 »

I have emailed TMNP but haven't had a reply yet. It'd be horrendous if there were another tragedy.

SANParks would also presumably be liable if something happened on their land (that's what the investigative journalist I chatted to a few days ago suggested).

For the benefit of the organisation, as well as for conservation and for the benefit of the individuals precariously squatting on unsuitable land, I hope they can do something about it.