Silvermine boardwalk should be re-named a borderline walk for wheelchairs

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

silke907

Silvermine boardwalk should be re-named a borderline walk for wheelchairs

Unread post by silke907 »

Having previously lived in the south Peninsula for more than 19 years I was familiar with the beautiful boardwalk, although I had never tested it for its wheelchair-friendliness.
Today, my father, my disabled, wheelchair-bound mother and I decided to enjoy the reserve, by making use of the path around the dam.
What an adventure! Many were the times when two able-bodied people were required - one to push, the other to lift the front wheels over rocks, or bumps in the path, due to lifting or sinking of individual slats. A few times, picknickers, seeing us struggle, approached us to try to assist. My mother had several times to be re-positioned, due to constantly shifting forward out of the chair, because of the uneven ground. She feels that the sand/ gravel stretches were particularly stressful.
We did manage, in the end, and are glad that we held out. The reserve is as exquisite a sanctuary as ever.
However - we feel that that you would serve future disabled visitors by indicating not that the boardwalk is wheelchair-friendly - which it is not - but, rather, that it requires a wheelchair suited to uneven terrain, a minimum of two able-bodied people standing by, and a tough, fearless soul in the wheelchair.
I should add that, on our return to the car park, the car guard apologised for not having been present on our arrival - he said that he usually helps disabled and elderly people.
Elsa

Re: Silvermine boardwalk should be re-named a borderline walk for wheelchairs

Unread post by Elsa »

Welcome to the forum silke907 :clap:

I'm very sorry your visit to the Silvermine boardwalk was not all you had hoped it would/should be.

Please would you send an e-mail with full details and any suggestions to [email protected] so that it can be logged and redirected to the correct departments.

I am going to lock this topic in accordance with the Rules of the Service Related Forum

But do contact me or any of the other mods if you have feedback that you would like to add and it will be unlocked for that purpose.
Take time each day to be with nature