West Coast National Park - a documentary view

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

West Coast National Park - a documentary view

Unread post by Kaapsedraai »

Visiting the West Coast NP a number of times over the years during the wild flower season, I got more interested in the historical facts about this Park.
As a result, in depth research followed and this information is now being shared on this forum via a Travel Tale called: West Coast NP: 2018 Aug visit - a documentary approach.

The information being shared has been obtained through personal research via number of publications and photo's taken personally.
If there are any factual information to be added or corrected, it will be welcomed though a private message.

Apparently, a publication or official guide has been prepared with the assistance of the WCNP Honorary Rangers. For more info refer Bookman's comment here: West Coast National Park - books and references.

The purpose of this subject is to share historical and current information of places in the WCNP.
The detail can be viewed under the Travel Tale section of the Forum and is currently work in progress and thus far covered the following topics:
- Episode 1: Highlights of previous trips (Have you seen a Black Harrier in the park yet?)
- Episode 2: Start of 2018 WCNP visit (How far is WCNP from Cape Town? and what sources could provide more detailed info about WCNP?)
- Episode 3: Introduction to WCNP (Interesting relation between Table Bay and Saldanha Bay; Do you know about the SLOW 5?; or special protected tortoise?)
- Episode 4: A view on fossils such as Eve's footprint (Did you know that you can view the original find at Iziko Museum in Cape Town?)
- Episode 5: Who were the first occupants of the West Coast? (What is the Khoikhoi-rule? and Khoikhoi-words we are using in every day speech?)
- Episode 6: The arrival of the first Europeans. (Which European country arrived first in this area?)
- Episode 7: The Islands of the West Coast (Searching for geographical info, origin of names, historical facts and animal and bird life of these islands?)
- Episode 7.1: Meeu Island (Today it is managed by SANDF; it was apparently the first island to be used by early Europeans - what was the reason? )
- Episode 7.2: Schaapen Island (Do you know which Big5 visitor enjoyed a meal on this island? and what other interesting animals live on it today, besides birds?)
- Episode 7.3: Jutten Island (Looking for a hidden treasure?; What was the impact of pelicans and spiders?)
- Episode 7.4: Vondeling Island (Which animal population was nearly wiped out?)
- Episode 7.5: Malgas Island (Why was this island so popular in 1845? and what type bird is called a 'malle gans'?)
- Episode 7.6: Marcus Island (What biggest sea battle in SA waters took place here? and what danger did the bird population faces?)
- Episode 8: Langebaan Lagoon (Ever wondered why the water is so clear and got such striking turquoise colour? and why this lagoon is so unique?)
- Episode 9: Preekstoel (What type of water creature would you find in the shallow water? and could this be the best picnic-braai spot in the Park?)
- Episode 10: Kraalbaai (Craal Bay) (What unique accommodation experience can you find? and how many ships found there resting place here?)
- Episode 11: Oudepost I and Oudepost II (Which outstation is the oldest in SA? and what were the purpose of these outstations?)
- Episode 11.1: Oudepost I (What was this outstation first called? and what role did Kees play?)
- Episode 11:2: Oudepost II(What impact did the 'Battle of Saldanha' had on Oudepost II? and what was this post origibally named?)
- Episode 12: Private villages - Schryvershoek, Stofbergfontein and Churchhaven (Why are these villages not accessible to public?)
- Episode 12.1: Schryvershoek (Who was the Saldanhavaarders? and who as Isaq Schrijver?)
- Episode 12.2: Stofbergfontein (Bossiekraal) (Which well known British lady visited the farm? and what is the village known as amongst its inhabitants?)
- Episode 12.3: Churchhaven & Pottebakkery (Was the founder on board the Alabama? and which other interesting places are in this area?)
- Episode 13: Geelbek (When will be the best time for birding? and Who is Uncle Dawid Bester after whom the Duinepos hiking trail is named after?)
- Episode 14: Abrahamskraal (Which three activities is Abrahamskraal known for? and Who could 'Abraham' possibly be?)
- Episode 15: Tsaarsbank (Why would you shout 'Thar she blows'? and What could be the reason for its Russian connection?)
- Episode 16: Riet Bay, Salamander Bay and Donkergat (Which 3 main purposes did these bays fulfil? and what other places are also named after wildlife?)
- Episode 16.1: Riet Bay (The bay was used by the Dutch for which 2 reasons?)
- Episode 16.2: Salamander Bay (Why was this bay called Salamander Bay?)
- Episode 16.3: Donkergat (Which industry was operating from this bay?)
- Episode 17: Postberg (What was the name given by Pieter Potter to Postberg at the time of his visit?)
- Episode 17.1: Postberg mountains - Konstabelkop and Vlaeberg (What is a 'konstabel'? and how did Vlaeberg gets it name?)
- Episode 17.2: Postberg central and farming (Which farms were located in this area? and what is a 'lijster'?)
- Episode 17.3:Postberg coastal and Plankies Bay (What is the name of the hill near Plankies Bay? and what could be the origin of the bay's name be?)
- Episode 18: Seeberg (What are the names of the farms originally apportioned on this eastern bank of the park?)
- Episode 18.1: Seeberg - historical farms (What is the name and significance of the first farm in this area? and why was this area so sought after?)
- Episode 18.2: Seeberg - look out (Who built the historical house on the granite rock? and name of shipwreck visible from the look-out?)
- Episode 19: Saldanha Bay and Langebaan (What was Saldanha Bay known as by is inhabitants? and what could be the origin of name 'Langebaan'?)
- Episode 19.1: Saldanha Bay (Which two sea battles are Saldanha Bay known for? and what alien invader arrived in this bay?)
- Episode 19.2: Langebaan (Who used this area as their meeting place? and what are the names of the 2 shipwrecks visible at the yacht club?)
- Episode 20: In conclusion (What are some of the unsolved 'mysteries'?)

Trust this information will assist in making your next visit to WCNP a memorable one. :thumbs_up:
Last edited by Kaapsedraai on Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:11 am, edited 20 times in total.
"Everything I do, is exclusively my appreciation for the love of nature and showcase my Creator's creation".
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: West Coast National Park - a documentary view

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

My son in law loves this Park and he is taking time to visit over the Easter weekend. It is a Park on my wish list. I will be watching this with interest. 8)

:popcorn:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS »

Thank you, Kaapsedraai :gflower:
Link to West Coast NP: 2018 Aug visit - a documentary approach .
aquila non capit muscas
hilda
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by hilda »

Thank you Kaapsedraai! :clap: :clap:
"Like a sunflower, always turn toward the light." Eleanor Brown.
Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: Meandering Mouse, MATTHYS and hilda
"Everything I do, is exclusively my appreciation for the love of nature and showcase my Creator's creation".
Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The documentary approach as seen through my eyes have been completed via this link: WCNP - documentary approach travel tale
fo Africa map.jpg

There are, however, a few unsolved 'mysteries' and hope anyone with information could be of assistance.Refer list here

I have loaded about 27 wild flower species :cam: in the WCNP on the WCNP Flower-link with Scientific, English and Afrikaans names for ease of reference. Click here: WCNP - Flowers
fo WCNP Flowers 1.jpg
manicwalker
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by manicwalker »

Kaapsedraai
Love your African continent pic :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

:thanx: manicwalker :D