Garden Route Parks - Accommodation Recommendations

Knysna, Tsitsikamma, Wilderness

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

prairielily

Garden Route Parks - Accommodation Recommendations

Unread post by prairielily »

Hi, all;

My wife and I will be taking our twelve year old son to South Africa in November 2019. Our itinerary includes two nights in each of Hermanus, deHoop, and Knysna, following which we will drive to Port Elizabeth and then fly to Durban. On our last visit (sans child) my wife and I camped at de Hoop and had a two-person rondavel at Wilderness (I think - frankly I can't remember which section of the park we were in except that we had to drive over an active train bridge to cross a river...). We stayed in a B & B in Hermanus.

This time out, things look a bit more complicated as camping isn't an option and three-person accommodations seem to be a rarity in the Garden Route Parks - but maybe I am mis-reading the SAN Parks information on that.

All to say, your suggestions for appropriate accommodation that will not break the bank would be most welcome. Our anticipated dates are the nights of November 5 through 10.

I look forward to hearing from you.
gbird
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Garden Route Parks - Accommodation Recommendations

Unread post by gbird »

Hi prairielily

I find the easiest way to do this is to download the complete tariff document which you will find here - https://www.sanparks.org/tourism/tariffs/

The HF4S Forest Cabins at Wilderness - Ebb & Flow may suit you and you will be in the low season tariff. Don't be confused by the name, they are along the river and not in the forest. Have stayed there before and if I remember correctly, they had a kettle, microwave and hotplate? but washing up facilities were communal.

Alternatively Storms River has chalets which will take three.

g
Michiel_P
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Michiel_P »

I just loved Storms River Mouth. Lots of hiking trails and awesome sea views. And lot of places to visit close by.
Nature is the art of God - Dante Alighieri
Our Bucket List
January 2020 : Kruger
August 2020 : Camdeboo, Bontebok, Agulhas, Karoo NP, Mokala
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS »

gbird wrote:The HF4S Forest Cabins at Wilderness - Ebb & Flow may suit you and you will be in the low season tariff. Don't be confused by the name, they are along the river and not in the forest. Have stayed there before and if I remember correctly, they had a kettle, microwave and hotplate? but washing up facilities were communal.

I love those cabins :D and yes, they do have a a kettle, microwave and hotplate and utensils and a fridge on the balcony, Gbird.
Communal washing up facilities :thumbs_up:

Storms River is also lovely, I agree, Pinos but I think the Ebb and Flow forest cabins to be more affordable.
aquila non capit muscas
prairielily

Unread post by prairielily »

Many thanks! "Ebb and Flow" sounds familiar - we may have stayed there back in 2006. (Ebb and Flow also sounds like the name of an old married couple on a 6's era sitcom - but I digress...)
MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS »

(Ebb and Flow also sounds like the name of an old married couple on a 6's era sitcom - but I digress...)

:lol: I think I missed that sitcom !
aquila non capit muscas