SAN Reservations Response Time?

Tell us what we can do better, need to clear the air, voice your concern or provide feedback about the forum
Johncn

SAN Reservations Response Time?

Unread post by Johncn »

Hello,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but any help appreciated. We have made a series of reservations through the SANparks.org system for our 6-week self-drive trip this September. We are spending two weeks in Kruger, a week in Kgalagadi, and also visiting Mountain Zebra, Augrabies Falls, and Garden Route National Parks. It's going to be a great trip, I think!

Our problem is that we had to cancel one of our reservations in KTP, using the online reservations system, and requested a refund twice with zero response - once on December 19, and once about a week ago. We are staying in KTP for a week before a few days in Namibia, and had planned to stay at Mata Mata on the way back. But, because on our return Namibia, we can't stay the required two nights before starting the drive back to JNB for our departure, we had to choose a different route and cancel our two nights in that park. We decided the drive on our final day in South Africa would be too long leaving from Mata Mata, and so could only stay one night.

In any case, the reservations system had a screen that provided an email address to request a refund. OK. No problem, I thought. I cancelled the reservation, got a confirmation that it was done, sent an email, and got auto-response. Never a follow up of any kind by a human. Then tried the other reservations email address. Same result. One was was sent to "[email protected]", and included my cancelled reservation number. The second one was sent to "[email protected]" and also had the same information. Both times a "[email protected]" email was received with a "reference code" and a promise to respond on the next working day. Nothing but crickets....and I don't see a chat interface or any method other than a land line phone number to reach reservations staff.

We live in the USA, and I have no desire to call their telephone number to resolve what should be a simple matter. Has anyone had similar experiences, but found a solution? Or are we just cursed by the Customer Service Gods?

Thanks in advance!
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Buckaroo Banzai & Confucius
Elsa

Re: SAN Reservations Response Time?

Unread post by Elsa »

Hi John
The refund can at times take a while to process and you will get yours. :thumbs_up:
they only do refunds twice a month, so depending if you just missed the middle month one and possibly with the festive season it might be a bit delayed?
Did you follow the following instruction taken from the Reservation page ?

Please note:

Request for Refunds can be sent to: [email protected] along with the following:

The top part of a bank statement indicating:
The account holder name [same as the reservation holder].
The account number
Type of account
Reservation number
International clients can forward credit card details.

Please come back to me if you still don't receive any refund in a week or so.
Take time each day to be with nature
Johncn

Unread post by Johncn »

Elsa,

Thanks for the response, and it's good to know there is a process they have that may just take longer. We're not in huge hurry, but do want to make sure it gets taken care of before we forget in the chaos of trip preparations. I did include my reservation number, user number and the dates and location of the cancelled reservation.

However, I took a screen shot of the pop up window we got, and it does not mention the details you describe. It only says to send an email to "[email protected]". Because I wasn't sure, I took a shot of the options before choosing the "refund" request one. Here is what it looked like.

The automated message only says that a refund can be requested, but not how. Here is a screen shot of that:

So, in short, I think I included everything you mentioned to include EXCEPT where you had "International clients can forward credit card details". I didn't see that requested anywhere during the process, and saw no references to the Reservation page itself. I would not send my actual credit card number by email anyway, of course, but I did include the last four digits of the card for the refund. Are those the details they generally require?

If they respond, I will post to this thread. Thanks, again.

John

Johncn

Unread post by Johncn »

Hello,

Just an update that I did get an email from SANParks, and a form to fill out. Will update again when refund received.

John

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

Thanks for the feedback John! :thumbs_up:
Bosveld_Doep

Unread post by Bosveld_Doep »

Dear John
My recent similar experience requesting a refund was reassuringly efficient.
Within a week of first requesting the refund electronically on the system, as shown in your screen shot, I received the template letter to complete and submit back to internationalrefunds.
Understandably, SANParks uses a separate department/team to process refunds using a two-stage request process. Frankly I'd do the same if I were them to prevent fraud or false refund requests.
SANParks declared that it would take up to 14 days to receive a refund after submission of a suitably completed form, and true to their word, the refund appeared in my account 14 days later, with a little bonus thanks to exchange rate movement in my favour, so no complaints from me.
I hope and trust that your experience will be similarly straightforward.
2020 Itinerary (now cancelled :( hopefully to be re-scheduled for 2021)
19-20 May - Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp
21-23 May - Lower Sabie Rest Camp
24-25 May - Skukuza Rest Camp
26-27 May - Berg-en-Dal Rest Camp
Johncn

Unread post by Johncn »

Thanks for everyone's input and assistance. Here is an update.

SANParks sent an email on January 11 with a form to fill out that included full credit card details / security code from the back, and required a signature. We scanned and returned to to what they said was a "secure" email. I guess that means that there is limited access to the account, but it was not encrypted or secured in any way, so we sent the document as a secured PDF, and followed that up with an email containing a password.

Our refund just hit our bank card today, so about 16 days from sending the completed form to the email address they specified, and five weeks from the original cancellation of the reservation and request for a refund on December 19. I assume part of that time was due to the festive season, of course, over Christmas and New Year's.

So, patience is required, but they do have a process that results in an actual refund. :o

Thanks, again.

John

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

Thanks for that feedback, John. :thumbs_up: I am sure it will be helpful to many people in a similar position.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

Thanks for the feedback John, glad you now have your refund. :thumbs_up:
Uvex

Unread post by Uvex »

Hello,

Canceled a reservation at Agulhas park back on August 10th, opted for a refund. Wrote an email to [email protected] and received no response.
I wrote a few more letters to them, as well as to other sanpark addresses, and did not wait for a single answer.
Should I say goodbye to money now? Strongly disappointed.

Kind regards,
DG
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

Welcome to the forum Uvex

Sorry you had to cancel and now not received a response.

Should I say goodbye to money now
No, you will receive your refund. :thumbs_up:

I can try and assist you but will need some further details from you.
will contact you privately.