West Coast National Park - books and references

See what other forumites recommend you should read
Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

West Coast National Park - books and references

Unread post by Kaapsedraai »

If you are interested in the West Coast National Park's historical information then I would like to share the following with you as stumbled across during my research.

Firstly, the SANParks website under Heritage blog contains research information as compiled by the Honorary Rangers on a various number of topics such as:
Saldanha Bay; Early Cultural Heritage; Location Map; Farms around the area; Seeberg; Langebaan's people and whaling; Jutten Island; Malgas Island; Pelicans on Jutten & Malgas; Settlements; Postberg Settlement; First People Koina & Sanqua; Other VOC Outstations; First Colonists - VOC Company; Panoramic Hotel and References.

Secondly, the following publication is also worth a read: A West Coast Odyssey - Edited & compiled by Gabriel, Louise & Nikolai Athiros an Mike Turner. (ISBN 978-0-620-44537-5) It is an old book I stumbled across in our local library.
It contains topics such as:
- The West Coast Fossil Park; A walk with Eve; San cultures
- Islands of Saldanha; Activity on Langebaan lagoon; The battle of Saldanha and lost of Middelburg;
- Wonders of the West Coast; Floral magic; Best of bird watching
- Shipwrecks around the Islands and a lot more
"Everything I do, is exclusively my appreciation for the love of nature and showcase my Creator's creation".
arks
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: West Coast National Park - books and references

Unread post by arks »

Thanks for the information on this book, Kaapsedraai. :gflower: I'll have a look for it in some secondhand bookshops when I'm next in Cape Town.
RSA 2022-2023
16 November-9 February Cape Town & Darling
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

Kaapsedraai, it does sound a wonderful book. History gives such a wider perspective on our current situation.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.
Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Grantmissy »

Kaapsedraai thank you for this information. I will definitely look out for this book :thumbs_up:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”
Yoda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda »

KSD - thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I had a quick look on ABE books, and found a 2nd hand copy for £40 (R750 approx.). Not a priority for me at the moment, but definitely one for the future.
"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living"
Terry Pratchett
Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

arks, Meandering Mouse, Grantmissy and yoda - thank you for comments. :thumbs_up:

I have come across some more detail during further research and will supplement this topic for ease of reference for anyone interested in future.

The interesting thing is that I discovered that there is no book of one all inclusive reference about this park (excl the Management plan). Now.... :think: ...should I attempt doing a book on this or not... time will tell. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Everything I do, is exclusively my appreciation for the love of nature and showcase my Creator's creation".
Bookman

Unread post by Bookman »

Dear all

There is also now an Official Guide to the West Coast National Park. This was released in September last year, and is a project of the West Coast Honorary Rangers. There were copies for sale at The Honorary Rangers shop in the flower season (the last few weeks), there are a few copies for sale at Duinepos Chalets and the park will be having copies for sale at both the information office at Geelbek and in Langebaan, but they are not available there yet.

The suggested cost is R60, and it is similar (but we believe better!) than the similar guides to other parks such as Addo, Namakwa, Kgalagadi and Augrabies.

The book covers the park itself, ecology of the park, animals, birds, plants and some of the history of the area.
arks

Unread post by arks »

That's excellent news, Bookman :thumbs_up: I'll look forward to purchasing a copy later this year.
RSA 2022-2023
16 November-9 February Cape Town & Darling
Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Bookman wrote:Dear all

There is also now an Official Guide to the West Coast National Park. This was released in September last year, and is a project of the West Coast Honorary Rangers. There were copies for sale at The Honorary Rangers shop in the flower season (the last few weeks), there are a few copies for sale at Duinepos Chalets and the park will be having copies for sale at both the information office at Geelbek and in Langebaan, but they are not available there yet.

The suggested cost is R60, and it is similar (but we believe better!) than the similar guides to other parks such as Addo, Namakwa, Kgalagadi and Augrabies.

The book covers the park itself, ecology of the park, animals, birds, plants and some of the history of the area.

Thank you for this info, Bookman. :thumbs_up:
It is great news that there is an official guide. :dance:
I will definitely try to get my hand on a copy of same and share it on this thread. :D
hilda
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by hilda »

I will definitely look out for these books Kaapsedraai and Bookman! Sounds very interesting! :clap: :clap:
"Like a sunflower, always turn toward the light." Eleanor Brown.