When is Our Wild Card Cost Effective

Everything you need to know about the Wild Card program.

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

When is Our Wild Card Cost Effective

Unread post by Crested Val »

Visitors often ask whether it is worth buying a Wild Card, and of course this depends on how many days we plan to visit any of the parks during the year that the card is active.

The information below hopefully will be helpful.
It is for the All Parks Cluster, but other clusters will have the same ratio.

SA Citizens

Singles - Need to visit 7 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.

Couples - Need to visit 6 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.

Families - This depends on how many adults and children are in the family.

Family cards are available for a maximum of 7 persons.
This can be 1 adult and 6,5,4,3,2 or 1 child, or 2 adults and 5,4,3,2 or 1 child.
Maximum of 2 adults.

Cost effective:
1xadult + 1 child - A couples card would be more cost effective.
1xadult + 2 children - Need to visit 7 days/nights or more to be cost effective.
1xadult +3 children - Need to visit 6 days/nights or more to be cost effective.
1xadult +4 children - Need to visit 5 days/nights or more to be cost effective.
1xadult +5 children - Need to visit 4 days/nights or more to be cost effective.
1xadult +6 children - Need to visit 4 days/nights or more to be cost effective.

2xadults + 1 child - Need to visit 6 days or more to be cost effective.
2xadults + 2 children - Need to visit 5 days/nights or more to be cost effective.
2xadults + 3 children - Need to visit 4 days/nights or more to be cost effective.
2xadults + 4 children - Need to visit 4 days/nights or more to be cost effective.
2xadults + 5 children - Need to visit 3 days/nights or more to be cost effective.

SADC Citizens (Need to show passports)

Singles - Need to visit 4 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.

Couples - Need to visit 3 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.

Families - Family cards are available for a maximum of 7 persons.
This can be 1 adult and 6,5,4,3,2 or 1 child, or 2 adults and 5,4,3,2 or 1 child.
Maximum of 2 adults.

Cost Effective:
1xadult + 1 child - A couples card would be more cost effective.
1xadult + 2 children - Need to visit 4 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
1xadult + 3 children - Need to visit 3 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
1xadult + 4 children - Need to visit 3 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
1xadult + 5 children - Need to visit 2 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
1xadult + 6 children - Need to visit 2 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.

2xadults + 1 child - Need to visit 3 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
2xadults + 2 children - Need to visit 3 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
2xadults + 3 children - Need to visit 2 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
2xadults + 4 children - Need to visit 2 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
2xadults + 5 children - Need to visit 2 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.

International (Overseas) Citizens

Singles - Need to visit 8 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.

Couples - Need to visit 7 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.

Families - Family cards are available for a maximum of 7 persons.
Maximum of 2 adults.

Cost Effective:
1xadult + 1 child - It would be more cost effective to buy a couples card.
1xadult + 2 children - Need to visit 4 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
1xadult + 3 children - Need to visit 3 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
1xadult + 4 children - Need to visit 3 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
1xadult + 5 children - Need to visit 2 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
1xadult + 6 children - Need to visit 2 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.

2xadults + 1 child - Need to visit 3 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
2xadults + 2 children - Need to visit 3 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
2xadults + 3 children - Need to visit 2 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
2xadults + 4 children - Need to visit 2 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.
2xadults + 5 children - Need to visit 2 days/nights or more to make the card cost effective.

Hope that helps!!!

Please note that this topic has been updated in line with the annual increase in both Wild Cards, and Conservation Fees for 2022/2023. It will be reviewed again after Nov 1st 2023.
Missing my beloved Kruger!!!
abhikothari30

Re: When is Our Wild Card Cost Effective

Unread post by abhikothari30 »

Hi,we are a couple and planning to visit Kruger for 3 days and also plan visiting garden route and Capetown.Considering the main tourist spots we would like to visit would we be better off taking a wild card though we may not be staying for long in Kruger but would other visits be offsetting the cost .
Do share your views.
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Since I first posted, the tariffs have changed, and now cost effectiveness depends on whether you are a SA citizen, a SADC or an overseas visitor. :thumbs_up:
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

abhicothari30 you can use your Wild Card in the Garden Route Parks, as well as some places in the Cape, so if that plus your Kruger trip adds up to 6 days or more, then it will be cost effective. :thumbs_up:
peterjennings1

Unread post by peterjennings1 »

Thanks Val for the post.
My wife and I are taking our 4 adult kids and a son's girlfriend. We arrive from UK to Jo'burg to Croc Bridge on 2 Jun and after 2 nights there go to Satara for 2 nights, Olifants for 2 nights and then Letaba for our last night in SA, this time. 7 nights in total. I think it make sense to buy Wild Card anyway if we buy 3 couples cards and one individual card. Please confirm that that is correct. Also, with the couple card, can one of the 2 people then use that card alone if he or she returns within the year?

Am I correct in saying that we must (or at least it is best to?) book online and collect the cards on arrival at the gate to the KNP?
Regards
Peter and Jo
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

The single person will be better off paying conservation fees, as you need to be visiting 8 days to make it cost effective. Couples definitely will benefit from getting cards.

Yes just one person can use a couples card, as long as they are one of the named people, but they can’t take someone else not named with them.

No you don't pick your card up at the gate. If you book online your card will be sent to your postal address, even if you live overseas. You will get an email confirmation letter at the time of purchase, and this will be accepted at all gates and camps, if your card has not arrived before you travel, so don't panic!! Or you can buy the cards at your first gate or camp. If you buy at a camp or gate, you need to update your details online within 30 days of purchase (you will be prompted to do this in your confirmation letter.)

Where else other than Kruger are you visiting, while in South Africa? You can use the cards in other South African National Parks and partner parks (some in Swaziland and Kwazulu Natal.)This includes some places in Table Mountain National Park, if you are visiting Cape Town. :thumbs_up:

Hope that helps, and that you have a wonderful trip. :thumbs_up:
Dexter

Wild card cost effectiveness

Unread post by Dexter »

Morning all.

I have seen the very helpful post from Val but I believe that rates have increased quite substantially, especially for international visitors like us. I'm sure the wild card last year was less than 4000!

My question is this.
We arrive at the park as a couple on 27/5 in the evening and are staying for 6 nights leaving early morning on 2/6.
Six nights in the park but if you include the Sunday we leave we will actually be in the park on 7 different days - the Monday through to the Sunday.
Will it be cost effective to have a wild card this year?

Thanks!
Elsa

Re: Wild card cost effectiveness

Unread post by Elsa »

Welcome to the forum Dexter!

If you are staying 6 nights in the park that is what your daily conservation fees will be based on.
As I work it out and if my maths is correct buying the couples wild card will be R4530 which equates to R377.50 pp per day.
The daily conservation fees are currently R372 pp so therefore it will be slightly cheaper to just pay those unless you are planning on visiting any other of the parks in the country during your visit or will visit again within the year.
Plus the WC does also entitle you to the quarterly wild magazine as well.
So decisions decisions! :wink:
Take time each day to be with nature
Dexter

Unread post by Dexter »

Thanks for that, Elsa.
That's pretty much how I worked it out but wasn't sure if the Sunday counted - we usually stay 7 nights end May/beginning June every year but can only do 6 this.
I'll buy a card as I like getting the magazine - sort of dissects the year into four and gets me excited about the next trip!
Now to book accommodation and decide whether to buy Rand now!
Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Dexter, Elsa is quite correct. :thumbs_up:

Overseas visitors need to visit any of the SANParks for 7 nights or more to make a Wild Card cost effective, so unless you are visiting anywhere else other than Kruger, it will not be worth you buying a card. Paying the daily conservation fee for the 6 nights that you are there will be more cost effective. :thumbs_up:

Wishing you a wonderful visit. :dance:
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

Dexter wrote:This year we arrive on 27/5, however next year we will arrive on 24/5.
So, if I buy a card on arrival this year on 27/5 then there will still be 2 or three days left on it next year when we go.
Correct??!! That is correct
We are at Pretoriuskop for the first night this year - can wild cards be purchased at Numbi gate before we enter the park (don't want to pay the fees for a day at Numbi to enter the park to then buy a card at the camp!).
You can purchase wild cards at the gate or at your first camp, so you will not have to pay any extra.
:thumbs_up:
Take time each day to be with nature
heritagearts

Unread post by heritagearts »

Sorry if this is redundant , I am asking for family coming from Canada What fees for 2 adults, (1 over 70) 1- 18 year 0ld, 1 -14 year 5 nights international visitor . Pay the daily conservation fee or buy a wild card?
lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen »

heritagearts wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:53 pm Sorry if this is redundant , I am asking for family coming from Canada What fees for 2 adults, (1 over 70) 1- 18 year 0ld, 1 -14 year 5 nights international visitor . Pay the daily conservation fee or buy a wild card?
Hi heritagearts,

Link to Wild Card pricing
Family
Maximum of seven (7) people.
Limit one (1) adult and six (6) children / two (2) adults and five (5) children.
A child is anyone under 18 at the time of Membership Purchase.
You will need to buy 2 x cards (one family and one individual), if the 18 year old has already turned 18 by the time they buy the Wild Card

International Family Card = R6 685
individual Card = R3 575
Total = R10 260

Kruger Standard Conservation Fee (International Visitors) R460 per adult, per day
R230 per child, per day

Five days visit

3 x R460 +1 X 230 = 1610 x5 = R8050

In this case it will be cheaper to pay the daily conservation fees.

If the 18 year old was not 18 by the time they buy the card, then they could buy an

International Family Card = R6685

Then it would be cheaper to buy the card rather than pay the Daily Conservation Fees.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West