Travel Tales - Camera Info

Tell us what we can do better, need to clear the air, voice your concern or provide feedback about the forum
Yoda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Travel Tales - Camera Info

Unread post by Yoda »

Whenever I look at the fantastic photos on the trip reports I am keen to know what equipment the photographer used

Suggestion:
Perhaps on the first intro post of a trip report, the mite could give this info
For eg photos taken with:
Canon 650D and 50-300mm canon lens
"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living"
Terry Pratchett
CHRISR

Re: Travel Tales - Camera Info

Unread post by CHRISR »

As an amateur I think that is a very good idea , some mites photos make me very :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yoda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda »

Mods?
Any thoughts??
"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living"
Terry Pratchett
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

Yoda, while a good idea, I don't think its something we can enforce but you and others can certainly ask the member for those details when you respond to the TR's.
and in time it may catch on and become more the norm.
Some members may like the idea while others may not.
Take time each day to be with nature
Yoda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda »

Elsa wrote:Yoda, while a good idea, I don't think its something we can enforce but you and others can certainly ask the member for those details when you respond to the TR's.
and in time it may catch on and become more the norm.
Some members may like the idea while others may not.

I agree, it can't be enforced.

But perhaps something along the lines I have suggested can be added here:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8300
And also some sort of announcement be made?

And if Forum members want to add the info to their TT, they can. 100% voluntary.
Terry Pratchett
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse »

Yoda, I certainly think this is something to think about.

Elsa has suggested that we ask in our replies. I used to write frequent trip reports. Due to a camera mishap and Photobucket, I have stopped with my own contributions. I now tend to follow other reports.

I am going to say that it makes me really sad to see people put in so much time and energy with so little return. It takes a lot of time to put things together and many people really put themselves out there. I have a particular admiration for those who are not English speaking.

I can tell you that there is nothing that kills a report quicker than a lack of response. Some of our best photographers are left high and dry with a lack of audience. There are folk reading, but the are no replies. It is like performing in a play with no applause.

I do urge people to respond, ask questions, acknowledge the work and the courage that writing a report has taken. If this does not happen, trip reports will die.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.
Yoda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda »

Meandering Mouse wrote:I am going to say that it makes me really sad to see people put in so much time and energy with so little return. It takes a lot of time to put things together and many people really put themselves out there.

I think this applies to any contribution to the Forum
On a personal level. In the Book section, I regularly post books from my extensive wildlife library, that I think may be of interest to other members. Am lucky if I get 1 response sometimes. Last week I posted a snake book which I thought may be interest. Not one response.
Perhaps I shouldn't bother anymore :hmz:
Terry Pratchett
lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen »

Yoda wrote:On a personal level. In the Book section, I regularly post books from my extensive wildlife library, that I think may be of interest to other members. Am lucky if I get 1 response sometimes. Last week I posted a snake book which I thought may be interest. Not one response.
Perhaps I shouldn't bother anymore :hmz:

Yoda, maybe rather look at the amount of views your topic has had.

From the 20th till today 62 views.

That I think is a good indication of a positive contribution to the forum.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West
lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen »

To get back on topic.........

My 2 cents.....

Personally I have several cameras and lenses, so giving the info on equipment used at the beginning of the TR (which I never seem to have time to write :redface: :redface: ) would not really benefit the readers as they will not know which photo was taken with which camera and/or lens.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West
onewithnature
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature »

Meandering Mouse wrote:I am going to say that it makes me really sad to see people put in so much time and energy with so little return. It takes a lot of time to put things together and many people really put themselves out there. I have a particular admiration for those who are not English speaking.

I can tell you that there is nothing that kills a report quicker than a lack of response. Some of our best photographers are left high and dry with a lack of audience. There are folk reading, but the are no replies. It is like performing in a play with no applause.

I do urge people to respond, ask questions, acknowledge the work and the courage that writing a report has taken. If this does not happen, trip reports will die.

Though maybe a tiny bit off topic, I have just come across this and I say "HERE, HERE!!". That is absolutely on the money, MM. :clap: :clap: :clap:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)
onewithnature
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature »

As to the camera info on a TR, I personally don't mind telling people in a PM what I'm using, but I feel that on a public forum it tends to sometimes skew people's judgement. For example, I used to ask questions on the "Kit Parade" thread, where people put up their equipment, often in detail, and I got some good responses. That is, until I was asked what I was using, and when they found out I had a point-and-shoot, I was fairly well snubbed after that. Especially as some of my pics weren't too bad at all.

I have seen people with fantastically expensive equipment get some pretty ordinary photos, and some with a cellphone get some decent takes. It's more about the conditions (which can then limit the lower-range equipment), the position of the subject, and the skill of the photographer that determines the photo. I simple like to enjoy the photos and the story and try not to judge based on what is being used.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)
Karin Mitton
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton »

I agree with you onewithnature! I believe photography is more about the person behind the camera than the equipment.
While equipment certainly can play a role, it also does not sometimes. Just look at some of the entries in the Sanparks photo comp for the non-SLR categories - they are exceptional!