Skip to Content

Addo: Getting There

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
jonno

Travelling to Addo National Park

Unread post by jonno » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:23 am

Hi All,

How long would you expect it to take to travel from Cape Town to Addo National Park? I'll be traveling around the 19th or 20th June this year.

If you think it's worth breaking the journey down, can anyone recommend a good place to stop off for the night at about the half way point?

Thanks in advance!
Jon

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:16 am

Hi jonno - info you will also need re your question about travelling from CT to Addo is here.

It is just over 800kms which is a comfortable journey that can be done in a single day (8 hours) as the roads are really good (except for the road work delays). What about considering stopping at Storms River along the way if you do wish to break your journey. More info see here
- Dalene

yumyum

Port Elizabeth - Addo - Port Elizabeth

Unread post by yumyum » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:45 pm

My friend and I intend to visit Addo sometime end July and need some feedback on a few questions. We are very new at this.

Our intention is to stay in one of the Addo main camp accomodations for a day or two and take the guided game drives. Other than renting a car to get from Port Elizabeth to Addo, is there any other way to get to Addo eg. a shuttle service ? Because even if we rented a car to get to Addo, we would still prefer to take the guided drives. And if there is indeed a shuttle, is there an available transfer back to Port Elizabeth ?

If we do have to rent a car, can we still park at Addo main camp and take the guided drives ?

The guided game drives - is it better to pre-book them when we do the accomodation booking, or we check in first and then do the game drive bookings ?

Your suggestions are much appreciated...

Loams
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Loams » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:00 am

Hi

Go here. it's a long read, but has all the details of the park etc. I have no idea on the shuttle service, but I would rent a car if I was you. You will see that it is just as enjoyable to drive yourself because then you can stay for as long or as short as you like at any sighting. There is no reason that you cannot go on a guided drive if you are there in your own vehicle.

End of july eh? I hope you have booked......
Operation "Duke" Member

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:51 am

As said in the previous post, it is more convenient to rent a vehicle as this will allow you greater choice and mobility.

If you would still prefer a shuttle, try the Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism website, www.nmbt.co.za where you might find some information.

You can book guided drives in advance to be sure you get space on the ones that you prefer, or you could leave it until you get to the park, but bear in mind that some drives (e.g. night drive) are very popular. To book in advance, email addogamedrives@sanparks.org

You can definitely take guided game drives, even if you have a rental vehicle. Another option is to rent a vehicle and then hire an Eyethu Hop-on Guide who will get into your vehicle and guide you around the park. You can book these guides on addoenquiries@sanparks.org
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

lam
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Travel to/from Addo

Unread post by lam » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:22 am

augmentium wrote:Can anyone help me with the quickest route back to Cape Town from Addo. Will be going on garden route on way up, but need to get back quick. Somebody suggested going N1 way to route 329. Does anyone know anything about this way and if in fact it is quicker? Thanks!

It is longer distance wise, but the inland roads are straighter and there will be virtually no traffic on the R329. You also miss the very slow bits through Knysna, Sedgefield and Wildernes, which can waste hours if it is during high season.

However, Garden Route (N2) is very easy from a navigation point of view and it is almost impossible to take the wrong road. The route you were thinking of is far more complicated, and you will definitely need a map, probably a map reader, and you will have to keep a look out for signs whenever you go through a town.

If you have more than a day, I would definitely recommend it, as it is just so completely different to the Garden Route. However, if you don't enjoy dry, you might not enjoy it at all.

If you are travelling in the middle of summer without an aircon in your car, I would also give it a skip.

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:58 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have driven both routes and prefer the N2 even if it gets very slow in parts with traffic and road works. It is a wider road than the R329 and I do not think you will save much time driving the latter.
- Dalene

JaKop

Driving from Cape Town to Addo via Karoo National Park

Unread post by JaKop » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:06 pm

Hi there,
We plan driving from Cape Town to Addo in January for a few lovely days. En route we concider spending a night at Karoo national park.

Unfortunately I have little feeling for the distance and do not plan having to killed ourselves on the road to get somewhere in the dark. Thus my humble questions:

Would it be relaxed possible to get from Cape Town to Karoo National Park in time to enjoy a bit more than a beautyful sunset?
Is it worhtwile to just spend an evening and a morning in the park or would we be better off in a B&B in Beaufort West or Graaf Reinett?

How long would it take from Karoo National Park to Addo?

Thanks for any hints and tips.
Jan

Loams
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Loams » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:15 pm

Hi Jan

My guess is that from CT to Karoo National is about 6 hours. I think it's the same to Addo from Karoo National Park, but I can't find my atlas now. Will have a look and come back to this after supper ;-)
Operation "Duke" Member

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:30 pm

Hi Jan!

Welcome to the forums!

Cape Town to Beaufort West is 480kms.
Beaufort West to Addo is about 480kms.

You will be spliting your journey nicely into two very comfortable drives of about 5.5 hours each. So if you leave CT early you should be able to enjoy sunset at Karoo NP.

I have driven along the 'back' road - between Beaufort West and Somerset East (then onto Addo) and it is fine. It is a very quiet road.

lam
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Driving from Cape Town to Addo via Karoo National Park

Unread post by lam » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:57 am

JaKop wrote:Hi there,
We plan driving from Cape Town to Addo in January for a few lovely days. En route we concider spending a night at Karoo national park.

Unfortunately I have little feeling for the distance and do not plan having to killed ourselves on the road to get somewhere in the dark. Thus my humble questions:

Would it be relaxed possible to get from Cape Town to Karoo National Park in time to enjoy a bit more than a beautyful sunset?
Is it worhtwile to just spend an evening and a morning in the park or would we be better off in a B&B in Beaufort West or Graaf Reinett?

How long would it take from Karoo National Park to Addo?

Thanks for any hints and tips.
Jan

The road from Karoo National Park to Aberdeen is extremely straight and flat and you might pass 2 other cars. It should be very easy driving. Karoo to Addo will probably take 5, maybe 6, hours.
Kruger - July

JaKop

Unread post by JaKop » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:58 pm

We returned to Germany from our lovely three weeks in South Africa (with a 40° temerature drop!!)
After a few days in the Mother City we spent three nights in Cape Agulhas and enjoyed the peacful unspoiltnes before returnig to Cape Town for two more days

I can do nothing but recommend Karoo NP for a stayover. It is a very easy 5h drive on both days. We arrived early afternoon, walked a bit on our own and then took both sundown- and sunrise 4x4 tours. We saw a lovely landscape, a bit of game and birds, no rhinos, but all was very intersting, entertaining and enlighting thanks to our guide Jan :wink: . We dined at the restaurant (my fillet was grilled to perfection, but that did not quite compensate the rest of the experiance... )

The next day we drove on after the sunrise drive for an easy trip to Addo (if you do not mind the dirt roads).
We spent three nights in the forrest huts which are basic but great. Millions of elephants, kudu, hartebeast, one group of buffalo and twice single buffalo, two families of meerkat (one inside Spekboom hide), some jackals, Tortoises, birds (which I know to little about to identify), and plenty of "Vaalies"
After three mornigns at Harpoor the elefants greeted us in person and we had some phantastic hours at spekboom.
I found it amazing how different the elephant and kudus behaved along the new road from spekboom to <what is this new camp called?>. still totally shy and nervous with cars.

On our way back we popped in at Bontebock NP for some bock and zebras and a walk along the river.
Oh it was so great and we will be back soon.
Jan

mervi

Are there any good organised tours to Addo?

Unread post by mervi » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:07 pm

Hi!
I am am travelling from Finland to South Africa with husband after three weeks. We are trying to find a way travel to Addo. Our intention is to stay in Addo two or three days. We were planing to take part of a organised tour, but I can find only day trip tours or very expensive ones.

Do anyone has experiences of good, reasonable priced tours? I can imagine one day is just not enough, you can't really see much, or?

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:31 pm

I would suggest that you hire a car from Port Elizabeth as this will give the freedom to drive around the park at your own leisure. You could hire one of our Hopon Guides to accompany you around the game area and/or join the guided game drives.

I would also suggest at least two days...and more if you wanted to see some of the other parts of the park like the Zuurberg mountains.

You can try the Port Elizabeth tourism website for car hire companies and tours: www.nmbt.co.za
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

NightOwl
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by NightOwl » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:25 am

I will have to agree with Megan on this one. Self drive is definitely cheaper than finding a tour from PE. Getting one of the hop on guides in the park will save you from trying to keep track of where you are in the park and not get lost, although I find it difficult to believe that ANYBODY could get lost in Addo :D
And those guys are usually full of usefull information about the animals, which makes the experience the more worth while, not to mention that they would have a good idea of which areas of the park to look for certain types of animals.
For Directions from the PE Airport:
1. Exit PE Airport and at the traffic circle turn left into Allister Miller Drive, follow for 940m
2. At Robots Turn Right onto Heugh Rd, follow for 2.3km
3. At Robots Turn left onto Settlers Freeway, follow for 6.7km
4. Take Grahamstown turnoff (N2) to right, follow for 10.4km
5. Take Addo Elephant National Park turn off to the left, follow for 51.2km
6. Turn right into Addo Elephant National Park, follow road for a couple of metres accross the rail track around couple of corners and Whola you reach the Main Gate to Addo Elephant National Park.

Enjoy your visit to Addo :D

Return to “Frontier Parks”