Skip to Content

Karoo: Info/Advice

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
Len Loader

What's up at Karoo National Park ?

Unread post by Len Loader » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Any news on Karoo ? It seems as if discussions of this fabulous park have dried up !

Who has recently been there - are all the roads now open, how are the lions doing, have you seen any of the 5 black rhinos in the park, and buffalo ?

Any comments on the two 4x4 routes ?

Len

MATTHYS

Re: What's up at Karoo National Park ?

Unread post by MATTHYS » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:29 pm

Have you read Lions at home in the Karoo , Len ? :D
aquila non capit muscas

jad

Unread post by jad » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:38 pm

I believe the bird hide is open and the fossil trail has been upgraded. They were working on the roads. This is a fabulous park but many people have said that they do not see much wildlife, to me wildlife is what happens in the cities and peace and quite is what happens in the Karoo. I wish I could live there, so can anyone update us

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:58 am

Hi all,
You'll see some recent updates on sightings etc from our new guide at the Park here: http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=60297

The decision on whether it is the right time to introduce cheetah will be taken after we have done our annual game census (usually around May). However, it is quite likely that we will only introduce after the 2013 census in order to ensure that when we do introduce cheetah, there is more than enough prey base for them and so that springbok populations will not be negatively affected.
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

MJ
Guru
Guru

Unread post by MJ » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Good day,

As a sanparks employee i dont really have a say, but on my arrival at Karoo National Park this holiday i was impressed. The gate guard was friendly and i felt like an old friend coming back home. Driving around the park i have found that the proper maintenance was done and it just looked perfect. The accommodation was outstanding clean and neat. Even the restaurant was extremely friendly, clean and the food was something to look forward to.

i have to congratulate the friends on that side of the country on the job well done.

:clap:
BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT

Martie
Lower Sabie Rest Camp
Kruger National Park

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leanawel » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi Len

Living very near to Karoo Nat Park and I can say is that the Park is very green and full of grass after good rains this summer. Lots of little ones everywhere.

All the roads are in good condition. The lions are not a regular sighting but the Park is so big and not many roads to travel. Buffaloes have been moved to another Park, not sure where. Rhinos are spotted once in a while. Lots of kudu, gemsbuck and other game will keep you busy. There is a very beautiful and shaded picnicspot on the Klipspringer road.

Can't help you on the 4X4=roads, but heard that the overnight chalet at the Potlekkertjie 4X4 road is great and worth visiting. You must book beforehand at the Park (reception).

But come and have a look yourself :thumbs_up:

Leana

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:30 pm

MJ wrote:i have to congratulate the friends on that side of the country on the job well done.:clap:

Thanks friend Martie :D I'll pass your compliments on.

Leanawel wrote:Can't help you on the 4X4=roads, but heard that the overnight chalet at the Potlekkertjie 4X4 road is great and worth visiting. You must book beforehand at the Park (reception).Leana

Leana, that's the Embizweni Cottage you are talking about which is on the Nuweveld 4x4 loop. It has a wonderful view, sleeps 6 people and is just the place to get away from EVERYTHING! The details of how to make a booking (via the Park reception) are on the Park's Activity page the web.
Megan Taplin

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stoffel » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:59 pm

I was privileged to see the two lionesses and the 4 cubs shortly after they were released in the park. They made a kill (zebra) in sight from the restaurant. I also had the luck to find rhino on two occasions. We'll be in the park again for 4 nights early May.

jad

Unread post by jad » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:35 am

I thought that there was a sort of an agreement not to mention any rhino sightings at any parks, but I do see it cropping up now and again.

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:42 am

You may mention rhinos just not their location............ :thumbs_up:
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:53 pm

Grantmissy wrote:[MJ that is very good to hear. Our experience of the Karoo National Park was always positive during the few times wthat we have stayed there. We always enjoyed having breakfast in the restaurant. A person gets a sense that everything is well organised and managed and that the facilities are maintained very well and in our experience during each visit that sense was proved to be correct :thumbs_up:.

Thanks for those compliments, Grantmissy. I'll make sure they are passed on to the staff in the Park :D
Megan Taplin

jad

Unread post by jad » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:35 pm

lion queen wrote:You may mention rhinos just not their location............ :thumbs_up:

You don't need to be a Sherlock Holmes to know where the rhino's are located as mentioned in this post. I rather not read about or see picture of rhino's in any post untill poaching has been brought under control.

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stoffel » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:00 am

Are we not pulling the pond from underneath the duck now?

Anybody who goes to Karoo, Mokala or whichever National Park, normally gets a brochure or pamphlet on which all major mammals occurring in the relevant park is mentioned. Thus, it is fairly general knowledge that specific mammals can be found in that park. In Kruger you are even informed in the information booklet where (in which eco-zones) you can find certain mammals.

In Mokala they will not tell you where (in the park) you can find the rhinos. They are not allowed to tell the tourists. But it is mentioned on their pamphlet that both black and white rhinos occur in the park.

And when I am lucky to see one - am I not allowed to share my excitement to other nature lovers too???

I mentioned in a previous post (under another thread) where I have seen rhinos in Karoo. I was asked by Megan Taplin not to mention their location. I removed the location from my post. But practically about everybody (interested in our National Parks) knows that rhinos occur in Karoo.

I wonder what percentage of visitors to the park has seen lions and rhino. Can't you "brag" a little bit if you were one of the few lucky ones?

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Lennie Senior

Unread post by Lennie Senior » Tue May 08, 2012 5:46 pm

I agree with Stoffel.

We are regulars at Karoo (have been there 4 weeks ago and will be there again within two weeks). Despite being regulars to Karoo, not being Sherlock Homes and taking Stoffel's "rhino information" into account, we have never been privileged to see lion, buffalo or rhino in Karoo !

I therefore cannot see Stoffel's post doing any harm.

Len

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Predator-proof fence extended in Karoo National Park

Unread post by Stoffel » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:21 pm

mh_baer wrote: We've stayed in KaNP for 3 nights - which was at least one too much. Even the night drive was dull.

imho: a park which could perform better...

My longest stay was 13 nights - and I could not get enough of the park. Was there again for 10 nights during September 2012 - and loved every moment of it. I think it depends on what you want to experience. I go to Karoo for the absolute tranquility of the place. If I want to see plenty big game or experience the excitement of a night drive, I go to Kruger or Kgalagadi.

In my personal opinion Karoo is one of the best managed national parks in South Africa.

Return to “Frontier Parks”