Skip to Content

Telephoto Zoom Lens Advice

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Switchback

Re: Nikon D90 lens choice....

Unread post by Switchback » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:54 am

Great stuff, glad you got your money back. Congrats on your purchase! :thumbs_up:

I found that I use my Sigma 150 - 500mm mostly on about F8 - great sharpness and I like the DOF on that apperture, not too shallow or too deep. On the D90 I then use my auto ISO settings to ensure my shutter speed does not go under 1/500'th when using the lens at 500mm while using the lowest possible ISO speed. All this on Aperture Priority mode of course.

Enjoy!!
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

granjan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

the right thing?

Unread post by granjan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:15 pm

I'm coming to Kruger next month for 15 wonderful days and have just blown my savings buying a 100 - 400mm canon lens.[It's not arrived yet.]
I have been using a sigma 150 -500mm 5 - 6.3 apo hsm but have never been really happy with the sharpness. Am I going to really notice the difference or rue the day I blew my savings. [I'm going to sell the sigma]
Reassurance needed!!

Thebi

Re: the right thing?

Unread post by Thebi » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Excellent lens choice you should not be disappointed. The new sigma 120-300 OS also gives excellent results -
as does the sigma 300 to 800.

ctv4

UPGRADING MY NIKON LENSES!

Unread post by ctv4 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:45 am

Hi to all!

I am considering updating my lenses. And need some input please?

I shoot Nikon and love the KTP!

Not really into birdlife, if need be I will use my Sigma 1000mm f8 for that.

What will you rather buy?

A 300mm f2.8 of a 200-400 f4?

Awaiting all the serious answers!!
13th Trip to KTP - Dec '12 / Jan '13

FIRST TRIP TO KTP WAS IN JUNE/JULY 1996!

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=61629

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: UPGRADING MY NIKON LENSES!

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:19 am

I am not a Nikonian, but I would go for the 200-400. Qualitywise that lens is almost the same as the 300, and you have a little more reach.
And you are more versatile, so at picnicspots you should have no problem with the mongooses that come too near. Just switch to 200 mm and you do not need to back up.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Scottm

Unread post by Scottm » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:40 am

The following is copied from a site I use quite often. Have a look at mansurovs.com/best-nikon-lenses-for-wildlife-photography:

"I have been shooting with the Nikon 200-400mm f/4 VR lens for the last 4-5 years and I can assure you that the Nikon 300mm f/2.8G VR II is overall a better lens to buy (unless you shoot large animals from a close distance, like bears in Alaska). I bought the Nikon 200-400mm for its zoom capabilities, but the lens turned out to be heavier, bulkier and it just does not tolerate anything longer than the TC-14E II. This leaves me with 560mm of effective focal length to work with on the long end, which seems to be very close in terms of IQ to the 300mm f/2.8G VR II @ 600mm. But its biggest problem is not the 40mm shorter focal length – it has one major weakness, which only shows up when you photograph anything at a distance. Up close, the 200-400mm creates beautiful images, but as soon as you start shooting subjects over 50 feet or more, its autofocus accuracy goes down the drain. Mind you, this does not typically happen when shooting lone birds in the sky, but primarily when there is something immediately behind the subject. For example, when I was photographing bears in Yellowstone, 8/10 times I would get grass behind the bear in focus. When I first noticed this behavior 3-4 years ago, I thought that it was just my bad camera/focusing techniques. I tried reacquiring focus, using only the center AF point and tried all kinds of tricks and the problem did not go away. I then thought that something was wrong with my lens, so I calibrated it like crazy, only to find that there was nothing wrong with it. Then I read complaints from other 200-400mm owners on various forums, who reported exactly the same problem with this lens and that’s when I realized that it was the lens that was the problem. I tried the 300mm f/2.8G (along with 400mm and 500mm lenses) in very similar conditions and they do not have the same problem. For this reason alone, I would not buy the 200-400mm again. I have been recommending the 300mm f/2.8G to our readers instead for a while now."
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

ctv4

Unread post by ctv4 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:50 am

This is something negative ?I am reading about the VR of the 200-4400mm!

"But in general day to day shooting, if the lens on a tripod (yes VR stays on with this lens when on a tripod unless shooting video) or your hand holding technique is solid, the VR doesn’t get you sharper images. The one thing that bugs me about the VR though is how the image “jumps” in the viewfinder at times when the VR activates. On a few occasions the image jumped enough to force me to recompose. I couldn’t find a pattern in this so as to prevent it, I just had to mentally be prepared for it possibly happening."
13th Trip to KTP - Dec '12 / Jan '13

FIRST TRIP TO KTP WAS IN JUNE/JULY 1996!

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=61629

Scottm

Unread post by Scottm » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:44 pm

DuQues wrote:You could also go for the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR?

The 18-300 f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens recently announced is likely to be so far removed from the quality of either the 200-400 f/4 or the 300 f2,8, and these other lenses should be considered to be in a separate quality class altogether.

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Nine aperture blades, 77mm frontlens... I think this lens is meant as an upgrade to the 18-200 which performs rather well.
ctv4 is not into birding, and this lens is a very versitale lens to say the least. Can be welded onto the camera really.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Scottm

Unread post by Scottm » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:46 am

I have no doubt that this lens will (when available) become one of the favourite walk-about lenses for many Nikon users, just as the 18-200 has become over the years. However, it will bring with it some limitations on the opportunities in low-light situations and when a minimal DOF is required. To overcome these limitations, substantial cash outflows will be required on a substantially faster lens......

I suspect that this lens will also be reasonably slow to focus in comparison to the higher-end offerings, which also come with their own limitations - both high wallet-depleting cost and less flexibility owing to much less "reach"

It is, however, still on my "wish-list", owing to its unsurpassed versatility.... Maybe the new 16-85VR, to complement my 70-300VR will simply have to suffice

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:40 pm

Guys, that is not what the question was! :lol:

Granjan, do not make the mistake of using the lens wide open. Like with every lens, it performs best if you close it one stop.
You hvbe some time left, go and make some photos at f/8 or f/9.0 instead of f/6.3. Of course it means that you will have less speed, so your exposuretime is something you need to keep an eye on.
If you have a tripod, or something similar, make a photo at f/6.3, and the same at f/8 or f/9. You should see a difference in sharpness.

Thebi

Unread post by Thebi » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:58 am

Kicker Cat wrote:Had a sigma 100 - 500 for a short while - changed it for a Canon 100 - 400 never been sorry about the change.

Enjoy

The sigma 100-500 was not up to standard and should not be used to judge the 100-300 and 300-800. These are far better lens in every way.

warmsunshine

Nikkor lens - AF-S 18-300 f/3.5-5.6G D VR DX on Nikon D7000

Unread post by warmsunshine » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Greetings!
Does anyone have experience with this lens on this camera? Nikkor AF-S 18-300 f/3.5-5.6G D VR DX on D7000

We are in the market and need to make a decision in the next week.

If any alternative can be recommended advice is very welcome.
We are not pros by any means just want to take darn good pics!

Thanks

Warmsunshine (in 10 days :dance: )

w1tw0lf

Re: Nikkor lens - AF-S 18-300 f/3.5-5.6G D VR DX on Nikon D7

Unread post by w1tw0lf » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:02 pm

I own the 70-300 f4.5-5.6 and love it. It is glued to my d3100. Have been told it is a full frame lens, but will work on crop frame body as well. Played with a 55-300, huge deference between the two, 70-300 being better. Also had the opportunity to use a sigma 120-300 f2.8 but that is expensive. My advise is to go to a shop where you can test the lens before making up your mind.

PantoffelSlippers

Please assist me decide on a lens

Unread post by PantoffelSlippers » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:22 am

Hi there,

In short, I previously had a Canon 450D with Canon 100-400mm lens. This kit got stolen. I now have a Canon 60D with only a kit lens which is the 18-135mm.

My photography is primarily focussed on wildlife and my skill set very much falls within the amateur range although I would like to improve on that and move up the ranks.

I need to acquire another lens for wildlife photography within the next week or so. At the moment though (probably for next 6 to 12 months) I don't have the funds to get a L series lens again. So I need an alternative.

I'm currently considering the Canon 70-300mm IS (not L series). New it goes for about R5k. Also in the mix is the Sigma 70-300 OS for about R3800 I think. I've been trying to read reviews on sites like dpreview.com. I can't really make up my mind. Last few weeks a kept an eye on bid or buy, gumtree and olx as well. No real luck there for 2nd hand units.

I was hoping the experts here can let me know their thoughts on these two candidates and also whether there are any other alternatives.

Thanks a mil

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”