Skip to Content

Christmas Safari

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
christopher.lacapra

Christmas Safari

Unread post by christopher.lacapra » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi everybody,

is it possible to book a game drive on the 24th and the 25th of december or are the rangers on holiday?

Thank you in advance,
Chris 8)

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Christmas Safari

Unread post by Hugh » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:40 pm

everything will be running as usual I would imagine
When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to your youth, think of algebra … !!!!!

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:11 pm

The activities will be offered on those days and as the park will be busy you should consider booking them as early as possible. :thumbs_up:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2017)
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:07 am

A warm welcome Cristopher :gflower:

The various camps try to make Christmas a special occasion. There are often Christmas meals and Kruger really is the perfect place for Christmas. You can choose to have a quiet reflective day, or join in on one of the activities.

As Elsa said, book early.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

mon

Unread post by mon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:59 pm

We're spending Christmas at Skukuza and don't know what to expect or how to properly plan for it. We want to do some game drives but I'm not sure what's a good amount. For example is doing a night drive then a morning drive the next morning too much? It's our first time on safari and we want to see a lot, but we don't want to be totally exhausted either. Recommendations (or where to find recommendations) would be much appreciated!

Also by booking early, do you mean now? soon? or should have done it a month ago?!?

Thank you!
Mon

inyanga 1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:26 am

mon wrote:We're spending Christmas at Skukuza and don't know what to expect or how to properly plan for it. We want to do some game drives but I'm not sure what's a good amount. For example is doing a night drive then a morning drive the next morning too much? It's our first time on safari and we want to see a lot, but we don't want to be totally exhausted either. Recommendations (or where to find recommendations) would be much appreciated!

Also by booking early, do you mean now? soon? or should have done it a month ago?!?

Thank you!
Mon

for christmas this year yes or nine months ago....
best of luck. you will enjoy KNP :thumbs_up:
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps.. TR done
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948
Other TR's 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2017)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:45 am

A very warm welcome, Mon. :gflower:

Christmas in Skukuza is very popular and I would try to book as much as possible beforehand.

A sundowner drive and a morning drive would be fine. The sundowner drive leaves and finishes in very good time. It would leave you enough time for a good night's sleep. I actually prefer sundowner drives, as they include both night and day creatures. I also love the experience of watching the sunset deep in the bush.

I rather like the walks. They also start rather early and give a completely different feel to a holiday. You do not have to be super fit, but you do have to have good health.

The Cattle Baron is an excellent restaurant in Skukuza. They usually have a special Christmas meal. I have not had the Christmas fare, but I did have a wonderful new years eve celebration. I would recommend their food any day.

I wish you an absolutely wonderful time. Enjoy. :D

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:34 am

Warm welcome to the forum Mon!

Apart from the advice you have already received you can also have a read through the topic Kruger in December and also Info: Sunset/Night drives taken from camps. for more info you might find useful.

mon

Unread post by mon » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:57 am

Thank you, Elsa, Meandering Mouse and inyanga 1!

Here's another question: If our flight from Johannesburg to Skukuza is supposed to arrive at 14:30, would we have time to arrive, check in to the Skukuza Rest Camp AND make a 16:30 Sunset Game Drive? Or is it cutting too close?

Also I'm still trying to contact the Skukuza rest camp to book a bush braii. What is the trick for setting that up? I can reach Reservations to book game drives via email, but they don't handle the braiis.

Thank you!
Mon

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2017)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:05 am

Hi mon, Skukuza airport is rather close to the camp. It should not take more than 20 minutes to reach Skukuza.

The actual checking in should take about another 20 minutes. If you see a delay, due to unforeseen circumstances, you can approach the duty manager.

I would be quite happy with that time frame.

As far as the bush braai, just keep trying and good luck :thumbs_up: .

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:14 pm

As MM has said you should have enough time all running smoothly!
Just get your rental car as quickly as you can so as to be able to check in and maybe even freshen up a bit before departure for the drive.
You do need to contact the camp concerned to arrange the bush braai, have you tried sending the mail to the following names

Hospitality Services Manager
Phuti Namethe
email: phuthi.namethe@sanparks.org
Duty Manager(s)
Akani Caswell Shivambu
email: akani.shivambu@sanparks.org
or
Mari Morland
email: mari.morland@sanparks.org

If you haven't seen the following topic do have a read through Bush braai's offered from camps lots of great info and advice in there.
otherwise try and book when you get there and see if there are any others on the list for your required night/s.

mon

Unread post by mon » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:20 pm

Meandering Mouse and Elsa,

Thank you so much for your prompt responses! I'm glad to hear that it's not cutting it too close to do a game drive soon after we arrive. Here's another related question: What about food? We'll be on the game drive during dinner time (I'm not sure we'll be hungry because our bodies will be completely messed up from the time difference and prolonged travel from the US). Where can we pick up some food to eat before and after the game drive? Also, if we do get hungry, can we possibly snack (for example, a granola bar) while on the game drive? At what times do the grocery stores and restaurants close at Skukuza?

Here's what I'm thinking. Does the following seem like a reasonable plan? Any suggestions?

Dec 22, 14:30 - Arrive in Skukuza airport
Dec 22, 16:30 - Skukuza Restcamp SUNSET DRIVE - 10 Seater (SSDL) for 4 (3 adults, 1 child)

Dec 23, 4:00 - Skukuza Restcamp MORNING WALK (MW) for 2 adults
Dec 23, Bush braii for 4 (3 adults, 1 child)

Dec 24, 4:00 - Skukuza Restcamp SUNRISE DRIVE - 10 Seater (EMDL) for 4 (3 adults, 1 child)
Dec 24, Christmas Eve dinner at Cattle Baron - Do I need a reservation?
Dec 24 20:00 - Skukuza Restcamp NIGHT DRIVE - 10 Seater (XNDL) for 4 (3 adults, 1 child)

Dec 25, 13:00 - Leave from Skukuza airport

The people at reservations@sanparks.org are great about responding, but I still can't get anyone at the Skukuza Rest Camp to respond (thank you for the new leads! I'm following up on all of them). The last time I asked at Reservations, all the above game drives and walks were available, but I haven't booked them yet, waiting to schedule the bush braii first (if it can only be done on Friday, for example, then we would do that instead of the game drive...). Should I go ahead and book the other activities with the hope that the Saturday bush braii will work out? Or should I risk loosing one of the other activities trying to secure the braii first? It's a question of what's more likely?

Thank you so much for your kind and generous assistance!

Mon

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Mon, you have certainly set yourselves a cracking schedule and I'm thinking for myself it would be too much and I might consider leaving the drive on the first night and just relaxing, but of course for you it might be fine! :wink:
I'm not sure where you are coming from and how much time you will have had to adjust to the time differences and flights before hand, but do take that into consideration.

You can take some light food/snacks and soft drinks on the drive with you which you can pick up at the shop beforehand if time allows.

You definitely won't have time for a meal before the drive but can go to the Cattle Baron afterwards

Restaurant hours

I would book at the restaurant for Christmas Eve as they might be extra busy. :thumbs_up:

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2017)

Unread post by Hippotragus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:15 pm

I would not try and make the sunset drive on the evening you arrive.

It will take time to get your rental car and you are not familiar with the roads.

You will need to check in at camp, find your accommodation, find the shop and buy your basics.

Rather chill and relax, have a walk along the river view, maybe have an early supper at the restaurant and get to bed early.
Skukuza 1-4 March 2018 (Cricket weekend!!)
Lower Sabie 4 March 2018
Satara 5-9 March 2018

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kite » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:34 pm

I think I would allow 30 mins for flight delays, 30 mins to get luggage, hire car & pack luggage into car.
Then drive towards camp and maybe a little exploratory drive to see what animals cross your path!
Then head for camp at your leisure later, book in and explore the camp and admire the view of the river!
I think you have enough activities over the next few days to leave out the 1st afternoon drive.
It's also nice to explore on your own in your hire car!

Return to “Kruger National Park”