Skip to Content

Mapungubwe: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by JoelR » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:38 pm

Zypresse wrote:
JoelR wrote:...the heritage tour to Mapungubwe Hill is a must and leaves at 7h00 and 10h00, ... :)

Does someone know if this tour can be done with a wheelchair?
Thanks for any advice. :)

Unfortunately it´s not possible to enjoy the complete tour as there´s only a tedious staircase going up to the top of Mapungubwe Hill. However, I am sure the guides will be happy to take you along to some stunning viewpoints at the bottom of the hill and share the incredible story of Mapungubwe there. Since september can be quite busy, you might want to contact hospitality manager Norman Mudau in advance - he might be able to make a special arrangement. Just ask for him at reception!

And for the record: a few other stunning venues in the park are very accesible for wheelchairs (some with assistance), like the Confluence, the Tree Top Walk & great accomodation. :wink:

Owl
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Owl » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:45 pm

I'll confirm what Joel says about wheelchair access to Mapungubwe Hill. There has apparently been some talk by management of what can be done to allow access for the mobility impaired up the hill, however nothing has become of this. One of the problems is that as it is a world heritage site nothing can be done that will have any physical impact on the site, but let's hope that some alternative can be supplied.

But the tree top boardwalk and hide and the confluence path are properly accessible and make a visit to this park well worth it.

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:31 pm

I understand an alternative is that the guides will take you to the confluence (they often do this with groups), where there is a spot where you can see the Hill well. They then do their talk and guided discussion from there while having a view of the Mapungubwe hill. Not the same though, but worth it.

(Anybody going to Leokwe camp soon? I lost my camera there and think it fell between the rocks at the boma/pool area. Not too worried about the camera, but my memory stick with pics!!....I did speak to Simon but they cannot seem to find it.)

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by JoelR » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:23 pm

timbo wrote:What is so historic about mapungubwe.

this is...! :wink:

Fhatuwani
Guru
Guru

MAPUNGUBWE INFORMATION NEEDED

Unread post by Fhatuwani » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:22 pm

Dear Crocodile;
This serves as a response to your enquiry about Mapungubwe information. Yes, Mapungubwe has a walking trail programme that starts at the Vhembe Trails camp. this is where you can book to stay for a maximum of three days. You will be taken on tours in the mornings and late afternoons. Our highly trained Trails Rangers normally cover between 15 and 20km per day.

Things to be seen vary. While I cannot guarantee which animals to be seen, you are likely to come across: elephants, lions, leopards, Giraffe, Wildebeest, impala, zebras, warthog and Rhino. We unfortunately do not have Buffalo's.

As Mapungubwe is a Cultural Landscape, we guarantee that you will also be able to see San rock art sites and the main Mapungubwe Hill where the famous Golden Rhino was uncovered.

For bookings, please phone our reception at 015 5342014 or contact our Hospitality Services Manager: Norman Mudau at the above number or through email at normanm@sanparks.org

Hope will see you in Mapungubwe soon.

Tshimangadzo Nemaheni
Park Manager
Mapungubwe National Park and World Heritage Site

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:27 am

Hi Johan
Diannet is quite correct. You will be able to go on a lot of the roads to the confluence and treetop walk, and on most of the other roads. If you have booked an official tour to Mapungubwe Hill, the guides will use the game drive vehicle anyway so you don't have to worry.

Most roads are fine, but you will have to take it slow.

When are you going? Have you booked accommodation at Leokwe?

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by JoelR » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:30 am

Johann wrote:Thanks Kingfisha. I have done loads of roads with my Clio that most probably won't do with a sedan. As long as one take it slow it usually ain't a problem.

We have booked the long weekend in August at Limpopo Forest camp.

From the Limpopo Forest Camp you can drive to Maloutswa Game hide. After the hide you shouldn´t turn back but continue past the hide (so turn right if you come from the hide). It takes you to a short but great drive through Lala palm forest and the impressive riverine forest - back to the camp. You´ll see the river fence isn´t that impressive (except for the remains of the military fence) - so the animals are already considering the area as a Transfrontier Park. :wink: Both Maloutswa hide & the riverine forest start to get very rewarding for game viewing from early August. I would not risk the other roads in the Western section of the park (like the 4x4 ecoroute), but as Kingfisha says, with a little care the roads in the Eastern section are definitely doable! :)

amcutler

Advice on car for Mapungubwe

Unread post by amcutler » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:22 am

Hi everyone,

Can you advise me on the type of car that will be suitable for Mapungubwe NP? I will be visiting for 3 or 4 days at the end of August. Some posts have talked about 4x4 only trails; others have said that 98% of the roads are accessible by a 'high clearance' car. Do you think a 2WD Nissan X-Trail is suitable? I will be hiring a car (I'm visiting from the UK) and 4x4s are expensive.

Thanks, Adam

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by JoelR » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:59 am

Hi Adam and welcome to the forum :)

I have lived in the park for a year with a Toyota Hilux 4x4. I have never ever used the 4x4 though. High clearance is definitely very helpful and indispensible for the beautiful 4x4 ecoroute in the western section. But all can be done in normal 2x4.

One exception... At the end of August the chance of rain starts increasing, but isn´t too high yet. If it does come down, 4x4 will make you feel more secure but the roads will usually dry up in a day.

That said, I would be totally comfortable with a 2WD high clearance vehicle on any road in Mapungubwe even after rain. Just stay in the middle of the road when driving through water or mud. The surface below is hard enough.

Cheers,

Joel

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:01 pm

Hi amcutler
Joel has lots of experience so he will know best. I have been in Mapangubwe in June and all roads are fine. Obviously there are specific 4X4 routes, which, when we did them, could even be done with 2X4.

It is a wonderful Park, enjoy it very much - make sure that you do a guided tour to Mapungubwe hill and visit the Tree top walk and confluence!

Where will you be staying?

Kingfisha
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kingfisha » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:30 pm

That sounds great. Leokwe is beautiful - you will love it! Check for the Verraux eagles (Black eagle) nest on the cliff. If you stand by the deck on the right of the swimming pool, look at the edge of the cliff (high up on the side). There is a piece of rock sticking out on the left edge. Ontop of that piece you will see the huge eagles nest and the eagles always visible in it. Sometimes they fly from there and call - a beautiful display.

If you go towards bungalow 14, where the cliff face makes a bend, on the left you will certainly see the pair of Klipspringer. This is obviously their territory and I saw them there 3 times in 2 days. (Sunset / sunrise especially). They are quite tame.

Enjoy!

Freda
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Freda » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:34 pm

I agree with Kingfisha, it really is a beautiful camp :D
I think we were in #9 last November and the klipspringer slept opposite our verandah 8)
Have a wonderful trip!

Leonie2

Unread post by Leonie2 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:37 pm

While you are looking for the klipspringer and Black eagle, also keep an eye out for the genet. Stayed in #2 a month ago and the genet actually waited in the verandah while we were having our braai :) Guess the braai smell was a just too tempting

HeidiAxel

Distance from ..... to Mapungubwe

Unread post by HeidiAxel » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:51 pm

Hi folks,
could somebody tell me what is the distance between Bela-Bela and Mapungubwe NP. Is it possible to start after breakfast in Bela-Bela at go to Leokwe Camp for the night?

And we will start in Leokwe Camp in the morning and go to Punda Maria for the night. Is that ok?

Thank you, have a nice evening
Heidi :roll:

Freda

Unread post by Freda » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:09 pm

Bela-Bela to Alldays is +/- 320kms, about a 4hr drive, I would say another hour and a half maybe two hours to Leokwe camp.
We did Leokwe to Pafuri Gate, stopping for provisions in Messina, and it took us about 4hrs, then a leisurely drive to Punda.
Have a great trip!

Return to “Northern Parks”