Skip to Content

Addo: Getting There

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:45 am

Hi Rooikat,

I drove the route between Natal and East London a few months ago. This is my advice:

The road is in good condition, it has recently been upgraded.

The scenery is beautiful. The opportunity to see how the rural Xhosa live, is wonderful.

I drove the road on a Friday afternoon and evening. I would not recommend anyone does that. The road is very busy, and sadly has very careless drivers on it at that time. Driving through Mthathta and Butterworth takes ages as the traffic is very heavy.

I do not foresee a problem driving that route in day light on a normal weekday.

From East London to Addo, no problems except the journey might be a bit slow at times as the road in places has no shoulder and one can get stuck behind big trucks. But drive the coastal route - it is lovely and has better roads. So go through EL and out via the airport and onto Port Alfred.

If you have enough time once at the turn off to the N10 - go to Colchester and enter Addo there and drive up through the Park to the main camp.

If you'd like to stop in EL for coffee - give me a call, I can direct you to a coffee shop close to the N2 and we can even have a mini mini meet 8)
- Dalene

Apple
Location: Addo - Southern Gate, where elephants left their footprint

Unread post by Apple » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:21 am

Ditto on all that DB said.
I know those roads well and she has hit the nail on the head. I couldn't have said it any better.
Well done DB. No wonder you a HR now.
Rooikat, when you get to Colchester and want a cuppa before you enter ADDO park give me a shout. I'm sure we've got something here to wet you whistle. :whistle:

Rooikat

Unread post by Rooikat » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:29 pm

Thanks for the advice on travelling to Addo - just to make sure:
Best is to drive the full length of R72 (the "coastal road"?) from East London, then N10 up to Paterson (?) and then across to Addo gate?
(Unfortunately won't be allowed to drive from Colchester through park, will be towing a trailer - that is if caravan rule will apply to us too?)

You locals seem to have a great sense of humour and pride in your close by park!
Hope to mini mini meet you!
KRUGER TRIP 2016/17

29/12 - 30/12 Skukuza
30/12 - 1/1 Olifants
1/1 - 3/1 Letaba
3/1 - 6/1 Satara
6/1 - 8/1 Skukuza
8/1 - 10/1 Lower Sabie

Apple

Unread post by Apple » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:10 pm

Hey, Rooikat,
I think you are allowed to travel through Colchester section with a trailor.
Jusy check with park. No caravans, but traikors allowed??????????????????????
Maybe Megan can give us all more clarity.
Enjoy your trip.

j-ms
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by j-ms » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:11 pm

I have entered via Colchester gate a number of times with my (half tonne) off-road trailer without any problems (from the road or the staff). There are a number of steep hills but nothing out of the ordinary.

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 am

When driving through the park from the Matyholweni gate side, the following applies:

Trailers - normal and off-road - are allowed.
The trailers that can be converted into a tent are allowed.
Mobile homes/camper vans are allowed.
4x4 caravans are allowed.
Normal caravans are not allowed.
Buses are not allowed.
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

lirritma
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by lirritma » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 pm

Thanks for the information Megan. I'm also glad that you highlight the fact that buses are NOT allowed on this route. You do need to work hard (and urgent) with the Provincial Government (roads division) as they seem to be under the understanding that there is no need to rebuild the notorious "Addo road" in time for the tourism flood in 2010. :twisted: They seem to think the South Gate will be able to do the trick. :? I lobbying hard for a few months now to make this happen, but it seem like a hot potato that get thrown around from the one to the other. The people who benefit (or suffer) from this road need to talk louder please.

Apple

Unread post by Apple » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:31 pm

Thanks Megan,
I get many people stopping at our place asking wether trailors and / or busses can get through and now I can answer them.
Please could you let me know what size busses are not allowed and which ones are as I have seen some mini-busses entering. They seem to be the knid which can seat about 20 people. Is their a size limit?????????

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:55 am

Any vehicle up to a 25-seater in capacity can enter. Any bus with above this number of seats cannot enter.
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

Matti

Addo Park and travel between Capetown and Durban

Unread post by Matti » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:58 am

Hi There,

This going to be the first week and a bit of 6 week trip to South Africa, Botswana and Namibia. I am arriving in Capetown on the 16th June 2008 and will be spending 3 nights there. Then I head to Gansbaai for a shark Dive and staying at Gansbaai. From there I was looking at looking at possibly Oudtshoorn to do a dive with Crocodiles and overnighting at Knysna. from there I was looking at heading along the garden route to Addo for 1 to 2 nights and then continuing my way to Durban on the 25th June 2008. Would I have to pre-book for Addo and what would the travel times be from Knysna and from Addo to Coffee Bay?

regards

Matti

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:04 am

Hi Matti, welcome to the forums and may you have a super trip in our lovely country :D

Most important and urgent answer first - you must prebook Addo!

Knysna to Addo is about a 4 hour drive. It is a very scenic drive so allow for a lot longer - I suggest you even stop off at Storms River Camp for lunch along the way.

Addo to Coffee Bay is 585km.
- Dalene

Matti

Unread post by Matti » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:18 am

Do you have any recomendations of what to do and where to stay at Addo for a 1-2 day stay (the Safari tent style accommodation looks good)?

restio
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by restio » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:13 pm

Mattie, I've never stayed in the Addo Safari tents, but I've heard that they are great!

In terms of what to do, you should plan to spend some time at the hides. I love the Spekboom hide, and there is a wonderful "underground" (ground level, really) hide right at the main camp - great place to see ellies and even rhino.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:23 pm

Matti, I have also never stayed in the Safari tents, but I certainly would if I had the opportunity to. So, if you can book one, take it :D

Adding to the great advice Restio has given, I suggest you follow your nose when you in Addo as far as self drives. Go on a guide sunset drive. Keep an eye on the sighting board for where the game is. Spend time in the camp enjoying the birdlife.
- Dalene

gesundheit

Unread post by gesundheit » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:19 am

Getting excited about our upcoming trip, will be in Addo Main Camp Aug 5 and 6. On the previous page there was discussion about the best route in and out of Addo. We were planning on entering via Colchester and driving up through the park to Main Camp, which seems to be most people's suggestion.

However on the 7th we need to catch a flight at 11:15 am at PE, and hand in our rental car. (I'm assuming the rental agency - yet to be determined - will have an airport desk). Check-in is prob 1 - 1 1/2 hours prior to the flight? (to Durban)

So we'd like to hear what route would be fastest for the airport? A couple of you have mentioned that the Markham road is poor, but I don't even know which road that refers to? Is it the R335 (on the big Addo map) which certainly looks like the most direct route. I make that to be about 75km to the airport. How much time to allot?

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

Return to “Frontier Parks”