Skip to Content

Kgalagadi roads

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: road between Twee Rivieren and Nossob open?

Unread post by bert » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:49 pm

I tend to agree with Arks
We drove a Mazda 6 (a little higher then the Polo)
But there were stretches between TR and Nossob where only a Mercedes Vito or Volkswagen Combi could give you enough high clearance to see over the growth
But next time i would go for a better suspencion so it would mean a 4x4.

Caracal

Re: road between Twee Rivieren and Nossob open?

Unread post by Caracal » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:26 pm

This is an ongoing debate /argument as to which vehicle is more suited to the roads in the KTP.

Simply put a sedan will suffice but please don't complain re the conditions of the roads. Obviously a 4 x 4 is going to handle the roads way better than a sedan. We have been to the park many times...either in our kombi or our 4 x4 . We feel really sorry for our kombi....even though we have the height to enable us to see over the verges the corrugations make us feel that we should not be putting the kombi through this. The 4x4 travels really well and we have the height as well.

There is just no two ways about this....the roads in the KTP are harsh on a vehicle and if you can go in a vehicle that is more suited to the roads then why not ??????

If you have a high clearance vehicle or are able to hire one then do so......but if you cannot do not give the park a miss because of that...as Arks has clearly stated many times visiting the park in a sedan is possible. It may not be as comfortable but yes it is possible.

DinkyBird

Re: Roads in the KTP

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:58 am

Hi Sawaddeekha,

When you arrive at the park, they give you information with the preferable tyre pressure. It is 1.60 if I remember correctly. The pump station at Twee Rivieren is also aware of this.

What route are you driving to the park? It is not a good idea to drive on tar roads with a low tyre pressure as you say.
Sawubona
Dalene

Sawaddeekha

Unread post by Sawaddeekha » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Thanks for your reply.

We're arriving from Upington, and were thinking of deflating our tyres in Askham. Do you think it's best to wait until TR ?

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:20 pm

Yes, wait until you are at TR The road outside the park is tarred all the way now.

The park people will thank you for deflating your tyres. The fact that many people are not prepared to do this contributes a lot to the corrugations on the roads.
Sawubona
Dalene

Jo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Grootkolk to Urikaruus - Do'able?

Unread post by Jo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:51 am

Greetings!

We have made a provisional booking for KTP for Feb 2010. Our schedule is as follows:
-1 night TR
-2 nights Nossob
-1 night Mata Mata
-1 night Urikaruus
-1 night TR

Now.....we are desperate to go to Grootkolk.....there is a hut available at Grootkolk the night we have at Mata Mata......so the big question....well actually 2 questions.....:
- is it worth while to go to Grootkolk for 1 night?
- is it possible to drive from Grootkolk to Urikaruus in 1 day?

Looking forward to your input! Thanks in advance.

Caracal

Re: Grootkolk to Urikaruus - Do'able?

Unread post by Caracal » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:28 am

Hi Jo...
Dreamer and I travelled from Grootkolk to Urikaruus in one day.
We had to refuel at Nossob and here was a bit of a queue so we spent a bit of time there. We also stopped at Dikbaardskolk and spent some time watching a huge truck that was stuck in the sand....
It is a long drive but it is doable with a fair amount of time to stop for sightings if needed.
Whether you want to be at GK for one night is a matter of opinion I suppose....if you swap out your night from MM to GK it means you will only have one night (UK) along the Auob.....decisions.
But yes getting from UK to GK in one day is possible.

Pumbaa
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Grootkolk to Urikaruus - Do'able?

Unread post by Pumbaa » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi Jo,

obviously those Grootkolk lovers finally convinced you!

We did the drive from Grootkolk to Urikaruus also in one day and same is doable with some spare time at worthwhile sightings but if the Nossob river is flooded then you will definitely not make it. Of course it is worthwhile to go there for one night but I personally would stay minimum 2 nights to enjoy the camp a bit more.

However, I would try to avoid this schedule again but if you not have that much time to spent I would do it again.

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

KTP Roads

Unread post by p@m » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:23 am

Many people ask about the road conditions in the park.

I have 2 pics to illustrate :)

The first one is taken just south of Nossob and shows how high the verges are -- difficult to see over even in a high clearance vehicle.

The next one is taken south of Mata Mata

Both taken in March 2010.

If anyone else has pics of the roads, please add them.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: KTP Roads

Unread post by arks » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:47 pm

Just to stir the pot , I've always gone to KTP in a sedan (1992 - Toyota Corolla; 2007 - VW Polo; 2010 - Ford Fiesta) and I think there is far too much fuss made about the height of the verges and even the condition of the roads. For me, as a solo traveler, the cost of a 4x4 or any of the higher vehicles is prohibitive, being 3 or 4 times the cost of renting a sedan and I'd personally rather be able to spend more days in the park. I've always had brilliant sightings and really don't feel that I've missed anything.

I'm not the only forumite to visit KTP in a small sedan and have a great time, just read, for example, Moose's trip reports! While I agree that it's good to know what to expect, no one should feel that a 4x4 is essential for a KTP visit.
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

ndoto

Unread post by ndoto » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:55 pm

@ Arks; I think that p@m is not disputing the fact whether KTP is do-able in a sedan - it has been proven by pioneers (such as you!). Fact is, the roads need to filled up and some bush-clearing needs to be done on the Nossob road to provide a better view to tourists - whether you are in a sedan, SUV or 4x4! I am NOT condoning "off-road" driving, but the conditions are really inviting tourists at certain places to break the rules, because of the heavy Three-thorn bush hedges and high embankments to add to a total bummer for any sightings. Even in a high-clearance vehicle, it can be MOST frustrating.
“ When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ”
John Muir

GavinW
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2015)

Unread post by GavinW » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:53 am

But then, sometimes the animals also prefer the roads!!

Taken just south of Nossob in May 2009

See our trip reports:

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012
Winner Travel Tale of the year - Other Parks 2012

Wannabe Larnies in the KTP December/Jan 2015
Winner Travel Tale of the year - Other Parks 2015

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Mon May 03, 2010 7:44 am

Just returned from trip to KTP and drove through the whole park. Man, the roads really are bad!! I softened my suspension and dropped tyre pressures to 1 bar and still we got shook up bad! The Nossob river roads are really bad and the sides of the roads are extremely high, I took some photos and will post later (still going though everything). A normal car will really have trouble seeing any game in this area: my advice will be to stick to the Auab river side if driving with a normal car...

Interresting though, I'd say about 95% of all the cars I saw in the park were 4x4's or at least higher seated SUV's - after my visit (especially after all the good rain), I'd highly recommend a higher vehicle if possible. Seeing a small car was really the exception, and I can see why.

Still, it can be done in a normal car, but I'll only do it with a rented car...
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

louierh

Routes from KTP to Richtersveld

Unread post by louierh » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:09 pm

Hello all!

We're planning to travel to Richtersveld in the middle of January next year and we hope somebody can help us answer some questions on which route to take to reach Sendelingsdrift. We will be coming from the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park and based on Google Maps, there are several options:

1) via Grunau, Namibia - turn right (north) on the D212 and use the Pontoon (is the Pontoon also the border crossing?)

2) via Grunau, Namibia, - Noordoewer - Vioolsdrif - Steinkopf - Port Nolloth - Alexander Bay - Sendelingsdrift

3) via Grunau, Namibia, - Noordower - Vioolsdrift - Kotzehoop - Eksteenfontein - Sendelingsdrift

4) via Upington - Steinkopf - Port Nolloth - Alexander Bay - - Sendelingsdrift

5) or any other route you can suggest?

And with any of the routes above, will we be able to reach the park before 16:00?

We then plan to stay 1 night in Sendelingdrift, 1 night in De Hoop and 2 nights in Richtersberg. After which, we plan to go to Cape Town. Any advice on the route out?

We are from Germany and have been to Namibia and South Africa twice before. By the time we reach Richtersveld, we would have been already more than a month travelling around Botswana with out rented 4x4 (a Toyota HiLux Diesel). We have some 4x4 experience from our previous travels to southern Africa, but we are by no means experts.

Thank's a lot in advance for your help!

kesheshe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Routes from KTP to Richtersveld

Unread post by kesheshe » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:13 pm

Which end of KTP will you exit?
2011 September KTP - 17 days

I am against hotels in KNP

Return to “Arid Parks”