Skip to Content

Recipes - Sweet, savoury and liquid!!!

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by sioux » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:03 pm

This is a great accompaniment to a Potjie

Baked Butternut & Sweet Potato

Butternut – halved and pips removed
Sweet potato – small - peeled and chopped
Bacon (optional) - chopped
Onion – small – chopped
Feta cheese - crumbled
Salt and Pepper and Nutmeg
Dollop of margarine/butter/oil

Cut out a wedge in the thick part of the butternut, chop up and mix with remaining ingredients. Scoop mixture back into the butternut and add margarine. Cover each half in tinfoil and bake it next to the coals of the Potjie, turning every 10 minutes or so.

Unwrap and tuck-in!

Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue May 08, 2007 10:00 am

Had to visit the Amarula website and saw this one:

Leg of venison with amarula sauce

300ml pear and apricot juice
50ml sunflower oil
30ml chutney
6 spring onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 bay leaf, crumbled
10ml brown sugar
2,5 kg leg of venison OR lamb
250 g streaky bacon
200 g sugar
1-liter water
rind of lemon, cut in one long, thin strip
6 pears, peeled and cored
30 g butter, softened
100 g fresh or canned blueberries
500 ml beef stock
100 ml Amarula Cream
30 ml Brandy
15 ml cornflour
30 ml cold water
sprigs of fresh herbs such as sage OR rosemary

(Serves 4 – 6)

In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the marinade. Lard the leg, if you wish, cover with the bacon, secure with string and place into a deep container. Pour over the marinade. Marinade for 2 days, turning occasionally.

Into a saucepan, place the sugar and water. Add the lemon rind and boil rapidly for 2 minutes. Place the pears upright in the syrup and poach for 8 minutes. Drain the pears, reserve the syrup and set aside.

Drain the meat on a wire rack and pat dry with paper towel. Spread with butter and season. Place the meat in a roasting pan and roast, in a preheated over at 160 degrees. Calculate 15 minutes of cooking time per 500g, plus an additional 15 minutes of longer, according to taste.

Place the pears in the roasting pan with the meat for the last 30 minutes of cooking. Add the blueberries for the last 10 minutes. Remove the meat and keep warm in an oven drawer. Halve and core the pears. Spoon the berries into the pear halves with a slotted spoon and keep warm.

Pour the excess fat from the pan and deglaze with the stock and half the syrup.
Reduce to two thirds and pour through a sieve. Add the Amarula Cream and brandy and bring to boiling point. Combine the cornflour with the cold water.
Add just enough to Amarula mixture to thicken to a sauce consistency.
Pour into a serving dish.

Place the saddle of venison on a serving plate and arrange the stuffed pears alongside. Baste the meat with a little sauce to glaze and garnish with herbs Serve the remaining sauce separately.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread post by BunnyHugger » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:55 pm

I have also never known anyone to offer to cook my brekkie for me.

I have been thinking about a recipe I want someone to try out for me (or let me know if you think it may be a crazy or good idea.)

Bunny hugger scrambled eggs.

1/2 Onion finely chopped.
1/4 green pepper also finely chopped.
1/2 tin whole kernel corn
6 eggs.

Grease skottel with some marge or butter, add onions and green pepper and cook until onions are clear. Add corn and fry lightly for about a minute. Now add beaten eggs and cook.

Serve on toast or bread and season with salt and pepper

Your thoughts on this one. I want to try it when I get into the park. Could experiment with it at home but it just won't taste the same as in the bush.
Bunny Hugger

Conservation is not an option.
It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Unread post by lisa » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:15 pm

Here is one of my favorite recipes. I call this "Thanksgiving Chicken" although apparently its correct name is chicken stifado. It is incredibly easy to make.

In a large, deep casserole dish with a lid (or stewpot with lid)place a chicken which has been cut up into its pieces.

Over this dump a large can of whole peeled tomatoes in their juice. (No need to chop them.)

Add one large onion and 2-3 cloves of garlic which have been coarsely chopped.

Add a handful of raisins or dried currants.

Add 2-3 bay leaves and about one teaspoon of each of the following: dried oregano, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar.

Add a small glass of red wine or several ounces of red wine vinegar.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Give it a brief, gentle stir and put the lid on.

Place in a medium oven (around 350 degrees F) for about an hour and a half or until the chicken flesh separates easily from the bone.

Serve over rice, couscous, or pasta. I like to garnish with chunks of feta cheese and sometimes walnuts or pine nuts.

This recipe is extremely forgiving and can also be made on the stove or in a slow-cooker or any number of ways. I have also seen it made with beef or lamb instead of chicken. Some people add cloves and/or rosemary as well. You can use fresh tomatoes instead of canned. You can add a tablespoon or two of olive oil if you like, although I have never found that it needs it unless you are using chicken pieces with skin removed and de-boned. You can increase or decrease amounts of anything to your taste. The leftovers taste even better after a day or two. If you have lots of sauce left over and no chicken, you can puree the sauce in a blender or food processor and put it over pasta and it is delicious. As an added bonus it happens to be healthy, although you wouldn't know it because of the richness of the spices.

Unread post by lisa » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:51 am

Here's another one of my faves.

Put some pasta on to boil -- shells, penne, bow ties, or whatever you like.

Grill some chicken breasts and some vegetables -- whatever you prefer -- zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant (aubergine), asparagus, etc. I usually just put olive oil, salt, and pepper. Once they are cooked, slice the grilled chicken & veggies roughly into bite-sized pieces.

In a large deep frying pan or big saute pan (or wok) over medium heat put in some olive oil, at least 2-3 cloves of minced garlic, and red pepper flakes to your taste. When garlic starts to turn golden (but not brown) add the pieces of chicken and veggies that you grilled. Then squeeze in the juice of one lemon. If you have some tomatoes and fresh basil on hand, add those too -- or if you don't have fresh basil on hand you can add a tablespoon or two of jarred pesto sauce or paste. Or you can use fresh spinach or arugula instead of basil. If you have pine nuts and olives (pitted) on hand, add a handful of each of those too. Then add the cooked pasta, which will help to wilt the basil/spinach/arugula. At the last minute add at least a quarter-cup (or lots more) of parmesan cheese and give the whole thing a good stir. Serve with extra parmesan on the side.

Unread post by BunnyHugger » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:37 am

Here's a simple quick one for a salad that goes down well.

Tin or tins Asparagus.
Lemon Juice
Balck Pepper.

Drain Brine off asparagus and place in a flat dish, Squeeze fresh lemon juice over asparagus spears and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.

Simple and quick to prepare, especially for days when you get back to camp late.
Bunny Hugger

It's imperative.

Leave KNP alone. Go build a hotel someplace else. Reserves are for the preservation of wildlife.

Think Pink. ..

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:41 am

Quick meal - and quantities can easily be adjusted as wanted:

Pasta - penne good but any OK
Tin(s) chopped tomatoes (any variety good, I use with onion)
Tin(s) shredded tuna
Grated cheese
Basil - or seasoning as preferred.

Cook pasta, tip into dish. Warm tomato mix in pot, stir in tuna and most of cheese, plus seasoning. Mix in pasta and heat again briefly then put back into dish and sprinkle over rest of cheese. (grill top if available, but it does not really matter)

Great with garlic bread - or any nice crusty bread and salad.

Really quick make and all except cheese are storecupboard ingredients anyway - and most folk will have cheese about!
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by annalie » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:59 pm

This is a recipe I learned from my Mom when we were together in the KNP, it is easy to make and easier to eat!

Mixed fresh vegetables (even stirfry style) of your choice.
Garlic butter (I always add some more crushed garlic to the butter)
Salt & peper and spices of your choice
Tin foil

Cut tin foil in large squares - big enough to make a pocket
Put veggies on the foil - shiny side of foil
Add your salt and peper and spices on your veggies
Put some teaspoon heaps of garlic butter between veggies
Fold over the tin foil and seal sides
Put on the side of your grill for about 30 minutes - veggies will steam in their own moisture and butter.
Remove from coals - open - and enjoy

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by rusky » Thu May 08, 2008 3:50 am

I'm hungry just reading your recipes.

skottle = frying pan?

BH here's an Indian version of scrambelled eggs called akuri

ch onion
ch chilli
ch tomato
ch corriander (fresh)
Optional: a pinch of turmeric
Butter/oil to saute

Saute onions in a flat bottomed pan (skottle?) in the butter/oil till transluscent. Add in chillies and release the pungency (hmmmm I can smell it). add turmeric pwd (opt), stir till cooked - raw masala powder tastes yukkkk. Chuck in tomatoes and give a quick stir in butter before adding in beaten eggs and ch corriander and seasoning. Stir/Cook till prefered consistency.

Serve with hot buttered toast or scoop up with a nice crusty bread. Great with a cuppa of masala tea (recipe to follow).

And since this is easy to make we have it for any meal when we can't be bothered lighting a fire. Generally when we are camping ALL food MUST be cooked on a wood fire (it tastes so much better than gas)but sometimes especially on the first night when we've arrived after a long drive and then put up our canvas tent we are too tired to light a fire.
Be the change you want to see in the world- Gandhi
Rusky's Kruger Ramble Jun 08 - a 1st timers dream trip

Unread post by LoOnZ » Thu May 08, 2008 9:25 am

Not Strong, Not Spicy.. nice n creamy

1kg Chicken (cubed)
2 Onions
6 whole peppercorns or just sum ground black pepper
10ml Oil
60g Butter
20ml Garam Masala
20ml Koljana
5ml chilli powder (optional)
20ml Garlic n Ginger Paste (I use just garlic)
30g Tomato Puree / Paste
10ml Salt
2 Cardamon Pods (I put in but take out before serving)
4 Bay Leaves
120ml water and milk mix
250ml Fresh Cream
20ml Cornflour (Maizena)
1 small tub plain yoghurt

- Fry onions in the oil until soft
- Brown the chicken in the butter seperately
- Add all the spices, tomato puree and the yoghurt in a bowl, add the chicken to the
mixture when ready
- Add all this to the onion pot when onions are ready and mix
- Add milk and water mixture plus bay leaves and let cook for about 15 minutes
- Mix fresh cream with cornflour and add to the pot. Stir thoroughly and let thicken.
Therafter let it simmer for another 15 minutes or so.

Serve with Roti, Purr or Naan bread... or be boring and serve with rice.. lol

"If you see sumone without a smile today... give them yours"

Unread post by BunnyHugger » Thu May 08, 2008 10:07 am

Baby Cabbage.

Posted this one somewhere, but can't remember where. (Mods please delte othe post if you find it)

Several baby cabbages.
Butter or Margerine.
Tin foil.

Stand cabbage on stalk and cut into four from the top down towards talk. DO NOT cut all the way through.

Melt butter / margarine and add garlic.
Place cabbage in tin foild and make small cup.
Pour in some of the garlic butter and sprinkle in aromat. Try and get it between the leaves ("Paging or rifling" works).
Wrap and cook on coals for about 20 minutes until cooked.
Turn frquently and do not allow to burn.
Serve, enjoy and stay away from the public places the next day.
Bunny Hugger

It's imperative.

Think Pink. ..

Unread post by lisa » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:14 pm

Lately I have been making grilled pizza a lot so I imagine it would work on a braai too. No pan is necessary -- you cook it directly on a very hot grid and it cooks in only a couple of minutes per side. I like to pre-cook some of the veggies before I put them on the pizza.

Refrigerated or frozen pizza dough/bread dough (or homemade)
Olive oil
Your favorite toppings (onions, tomatoes, cheese, basil or oregano, sweet peppers, mushrooms, sausage, olives, etc.)

Let dough come to room temperature, and heat grill/braai until very hot. Sprinkle flour on a flat work surface to prevent dough from sticking to it, and roll or press out pizza dough (using hands or rolling pin) until it is flat and as thin as you can get it. Brush a generous amount of olive oil on both sides of the dough to prevent it from sticking to the grid. When the grill is extremely hot, place the oiled dough directly on the grid for about 2-3 minutes. Using tongs or spatula or both, flip over the dough to allow the other side to cook, sprinkle toppings thinly on top of the cooked side, and allow to finish cooking for about 2-3 more minutes. Remove from heat and serve.

My favorite is plain old tomato, basil, mozzarella but it is really good with pre-cooked sausage, onions, and peppers too. A great way to use up leftovers.

Location: Swaziland. The smallest country of the S. Hemisphere

Re: All Recipes including Biltong & Potjie

Unread post by Jazil » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:40 pm

There are many different recipes Lockie, but here is one I found for you:

Rusks are hard, very dry biscuits, originally prepared in South Africa by the Dutch for traveling long distances in a hot climate. Rusks were a bread that wouldn't spoil. Now, all over South Africa, rusks are eaten as snacks, dipped in coffee, tea, or milk. In the cities, many different varieties of commercially baked rusks are available. There are raisin, chocolate chip, almond, peanut, and probably soon, oat-bran rusks.

* 2 cups unbleached white flour
* 2 cups whole wheat bread flour (coarsely ground if possible)
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 1/2 cup melted butter
* 2 eggs
* 3/4 cup buttermilk
* 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
* 2 tsp pure almond extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix the dry ingredients. Combine all the wet ingredients, pour them into the dry ingredients, and stir until you have a soft dough, similar to biscuit dough. Turn the dough onto a well-floured surface and roll or pat it to about a 1/2 inch thickness. Cut the dough into rectangles about 2 by 4 inches. Bake the rusks about 2 inches apart on buttered baking sheet for about 25 minutes until the tops are crisping and browning a little. Now, eat a few "soft" rusks warm from the oven. Loosely pile the rusks on a baking sheet and keep them in a 200 degree oven all day or all night (about 12 hours) to dry. The finished rusks should be very dry and hard. Cool and store in an airtight container. Rusks will keep for weeks.

Oatmeal-Raisin Rusks: Reduce the white flour to 1 1/2 cups and add 2 cups rolled oats and 1/2 cup currants or chopped raisins.

Almond Rusks: Add 1 cup chopped almonds and omit the cinnamon.

Peanut Rusks: Add 1 cup coarsely chopped peanuts.

Anise Rusks: Omit the cinnamon and almond extract and add 2 tsp pure anise extract or 1 Tbsp anisette.
Don't forget to PM any Mod your Kudu nominations for the month.

If you want to list your Park Dates in the YR Thread then please PM me.

Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Chat about the cold and Fondues - yummie

Unread post by CuriousCanadian » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:25 pm

mmmmmm...... :D

How 'bout a beef dish....

Loosely called "Swiss Steak"

A cheap cut ie blade..round etc....

Brown in fry pan....

Tin of tomato soup...1/2 tin of water...
Tin of crushed tomatoes
Chopped celery
Chopped onions

Cook in slow oven for a couple of hours..serve over broad noodles...
Appreciate what you have before it becomes what you had.

Snow Zee
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Chat about the cold and Fondues - yummie

Unread post by Snow Zee » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:50 pm

Vegetarian Curry a la Snow Zee.

Cube enough pumpkin to feed how ever many you are cooking for..add a little water and microwave until cooked.

In a frying pan cook enough onions, and then tomatoes, to make the right amount of sauce.(Add a bit of garlic if you like)
Add curry powder (jalfrezi is my favourite),
a tin of chick peas and a small tin of lentils(optional),
a little apricot jam (or even dried apricots or apples),
and then simmer for a few minutes.

Once everything is heated through, gently stir in cooked pumpkin
and serve over rice.

On the side, serve with
Sliced banana,
Curried fallafel balls
Chopped tomatoe and onion salad that has been soaking in balsamic vinegar for an hour or two.

I think we have more than a few forumites in the Cape in South Africa and I would LOVE some traditional Cape Malay recipes..please.

And what about the game rangers...surely they have some great ideas using game?
'“When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others.” The Peace Pilgrim.

Return to “Chit-Chat”