Skip to Content

Antelope: Suni

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Antelope: Suni

Unread post by onewithnature » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:37 pm

Fantastic, garrow! :clap: :clap: A suni for the second time ... that's amazing, especially as it is one of the rare 5, no?
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

terryc
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Suni in Kruger

Unread post by terryc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:18 pm

I have read in many books that the Suni is the smallest buck in Kruger, and can only be found in the extreme north. I have never seen one, and have asked the rangers at both Punda Maria and at Pafuri private camp. They also have never seen one.

Has anyone seen a Suni, and what size are they. Are they much smaller than a steenbok.
26 June to 29 June - Berg N Dal
30 June to 1 July - P'kop
2 July to 3 July - Tamboti

I love to play in God's Playground

bert

Re: Suni in Kruger

Unread post by bert » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Believe they can not be found in Kruger anymore

Richprins

Unread post by Richprins » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:20 pm

BLUE DUIKER:

Various suni, including the archetypal Kruger suni book pic first!

They are BROWN!

And yes, my earlier pic seems like some other duiker! :twisted:

All from internet!

onewithnature

Unread post by onewithnature » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:10 am

RP, glorious pics. :clap: Which only goes to cement in my mind that it was indeed a suni we saw in 2009!

Barcud, is that your pic, or another pixel-clone from the Net?
EVERYBODY'S TR!

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Barcud
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Barcud » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Hi RP,

It was in an unmentionable park south-east of Kruger. 6 other witnesses with me as well :roll:

onewithnature

Unread post by onewithnature » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:15 am

Barcud wrote:OWN, I'm :big_eyes:

I'll send you the original RAW image if you pm me your e-mail address, plus the 25 odd other photos I took of this little gem. :tongue:

Not sure I like the insinuation from your comment that some other of my photos are taken from the net as well, but for the sake of harmony, I'll let it go this once.

Barcud, you don't have to insinuate anything. An oversight on my part - there was supposed to be a :twisted: after that comment, based especially on so many people downloading suni photos from the Net as real Kruger ones are supposedly unavailable. I don't need all 25-odd photos of yours, just the best. :wink: :tongue:
EVERYBODY'S TR!

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:52 am

Forget the 'Big Five'! Did you know that there is also a 'Small Five' which people strive to get sightings of. Blue and Red Duiker, Grysbuck, Klipspringer, Steenbuck and the smallest which you can see if you are lucky and observant when you visit the Kruger and the Natal Parks. Suni or Livingstone's Antelope (Neotragus moschatus), is a very small species of antelope which occurs in South-East Africa in dense underbrush.

Suni are around 30-43 cm high at the shoulder and weigh 4.5-5.4 kg. They are usually reddish brown, darker on their back than their sides and legs. The belly, chin, throat and insides of legs are white. The nostrils are prominent red, and there are black rings around the eyes and above the hooves. Males have horns 8-13 cm long, that are ridged most of their length and curve backwards close to their heads. Females do not have horns. Suni can make weak barking and whistling sounds.

Suni feed on leaves, fungi, fruits and flowers, and need almost no free water.

They are shy, most active at night, and sleep during the day in a shady, sheltered area. They are social but males defend a territory of about 3 hectares. They scent-mark the boundaries with secretions from their preorbital glands.

There may be an individual or communal dung pile on the periphery of the territory. A male usually takes one mate, but other females may share his territory. A single fawn is born weighing about 900gm. after a gestation of 183 days.

Predators include lions, birds of prey, snakes, and other carnivores. For protection, they are well camouflaged in dry grass and keep very still. When a predator is almost on top of them, they spring out and bound away into the underbrush.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 156 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:14 am

Brilliant info on the “small five” thanks gmlsmit :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: Does anyone know whether the book Duikers of Africa: Masters of the African Forest Floor is still available to buy and where a person can buy it? I find these smaller antelope very fascinating.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Great Dane

Unread post by Great Dane » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:55 am

A year ago we toured a few of the KZN parks and were lucky to see Suni in two different parks in the north on the same day. One in the morning before we left one park and one in the evening when we arrived at the next.

At least I am confident they were Suni, here the pics.

All the best, Michael

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:09 pm

We saw a Suni, on the Mahonie Loop in 2009.

Sadly in those (pre forums) days, we were more interested in "the big five", so didn't really appreciate what we were seeing. :wall: :wall:

The light was fading, and there was a car already stopped by the side of the road. We stopped, ever hopeful that it was a big cat, and this old Saffie told us to remain quiet, and we would see something very special. He told us that it was a Suni, and that it was a very rare antelpoe. He had been visiting the park since he was a kid, and this was the first one he had ever seen!!! :clap:

I can now realise why he was so excited, and how disappointed he must have been when we didn't share his enthusiasm.

I had written in my diary, we saw elephant, kudu, impala, zebra, buffalo, and suni, but we were so disappointed not to have seen a big cat!!!!! How short sighted we were in those days!!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

It was only after joining these forums, that I realised what a special sighting it really was!!

If any of you forums members happens to be that old oom, I would like you to know that I now realise how incredibly privileged we were to see it!! :thumbs_up:

flying cheetah
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by flying cheetah » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:25 am

Crested Val wrote:We saw a Suni, on the Mahonie Loop in 2009.

Sadly in those (pre forums) days, we were more interested in "the big five", so didn't really appreciate what we were seeing. :wall: :wall:

Did you at least take a pic :roll:
Akukho nyon' endiz' ingahlali phansi. (Zulu)
There is not a bird that flies and never sits down.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:24 am

flying cheetah wrote:
Crested Val wrote:We saw a Suni, on the Mahonie Loop in 2009.

Did you at least take a pic :roll:

Sadly no..........firstly it was almoost dark, secondly it was well hidden in the bush, thirdly in those days we only had a point and shoot, and fourthly it wasn't a big cat, so not worthy of a picture. (IOHO) :wall: :wall: :wall:

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:35 am

I would also like to see one, because we really didn't appreciate the one we saw, but now it would be an amazing sighting!! :dance:

Zapman

Re: Suni in Kruger

Unread post by Zapman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Bushmom wrote:Or seen a suni recently on any other road?
I remember seeing one about 50 years ago near Pafuri picnic site. We could not believe our eyes! Never saw one again though.

Incredible! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Recently i red the Getaway and got the idea that they don't find it as extinct in the KNP.
Zapman

#StopRhinoPoachingSA

Visiting Kruger:
21 December 2013: Crocodile Bridge
22-24 December 2013: Tamboti
25-27 December 2013: Bateleur

VISIT RARE ANTELOPE SIGHTINGS

Return to “Mammals”