General advice needed

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Mike1916
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Recommendations

Unread postby Mike1916 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:37 am

SANparks Availability

The walk from the camps will always give an adrenaline rush so i would suggest one of those and then if budget allows a bush braai should also be a great idea :thumbs_up:

KNP Activities
Sustainability is not something we do in addition to..........., it is about the manner in which we do everything

Ladyhawke

Re: Top planning hints for your Kruger visit

Unread postby Ladyhawke » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:52 pm

To add on the useful things to take with to the park,
we take spray bottles, file them with water, keep them in the cooler box when not using them and spray ourselves when we are getting to hot,
Dec 2012 - Hluhlwe Umfolozi then Swaziland then KNP

Elsa

Re: 8 days, down to the south - where to go?

Unread postby Elsa » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Matambeni Hide, near Letaba, overlooks the Engelhard Dam and is magic early in the morning, especially for birding but also animals.
Other hides along your routes all can give nice sightings, Lake Panic might be a bit busy given the time of year.
I would stick to the gravel roads, do all the little loops off the roads, sit under the trees for a while, often something pops up.
I love the river road between Letaba and Olifants, S44, S93 and S46.
Check the sightings boards out at the various camps.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 11th Feb - 8th March 2016

pnm

Re: 8 days, down to the south - where to go?

Unread postby pnm » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:56 pm

My first post in over a year. You sound a bit like me in your approach to the park. I too am recently a birder. It makes a KNP trip so much more fun. I got all of my best bird pictures and sightings in the camps. I take binoculars and camera and amble (I really do mean amble) slowly over the camps. I talk to lots of people, greet all workers (who often have a brief chat), and spend a lot of time staring at things. Most peaceful. No traffic jams, and little noise as most people are out game viewing. I got great shots of Puffback Shrike (Shingwedzi caravan area) and Woodpeckers (Pretoriuskop swimming pool). Purists may see birding in the camps as a bit easy as the birds are generally habituated to humans and I find with a bit of spishing they come to me. I am there to relax so I just enjoy. In this way I have also found mice in their hidey-holes in the evening and witnessed a bitter battle between hornbills. I am going again in March/April and hope to get a decent shot of an Oriole and some of owls.

Walk the perimeter of Olifants - lots of birds. The aloes always yield sunbirds and this year in Olifants parrots. I have found that quite often yopung children ask me what I am doing and end up tagging along. Quite a few times they see me the next day and lead me to a new bird they have found. I love KNP. I love the people there and I just love the Kudu wors and pap at Tshokwane.

One thing; this year my wife and I did not look for anything in particular: we saw very few lions but leopards (six) seem to come to us, one carrying an Impala head. Never saw so many leopards and we weren't even looking for them. One of them I saw while stopped on the low level bridge at Shingwedzi to take photo of the resident kingfisher. The leopard just appeared between two trees, and slowly walked further over the road and then into the bush. We were the only car there...
Pete

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Some urgent advice needed

Unread postby oddesy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:23 pm

hi there mites :D , my parents and i have got a booking made for letaba camping starting friday but talking tonight we have decided that instead of camping, that for a few reasons this time staying in other accomodation would be alot easier. The problem is we have come up with a set of types to book but there is mostly only 1 unit available of each type, so that brings me to my question, we do not want to risk loosing what is available but if we book what we see online will SANparks(the reservation house) be able to cancel the existing accomodation that has already been paid in full, keeping the online booking and paying in the extra (difference)???

If anyone has had a similar experience i would very much appreciate your assistance :pray:
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Some urgent advice needed

Unread postby Friedrich von Hörsten » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:59 pm

Hi,
I have this past week gone through the same process/crisis.
Because it is very close to your actual visit, you will lose most of the money if you just cancel etc.
They prefer it if you modify/amend your booking, BUT the new booking MUST not be less money than the original, otherwise you lose the difference...
You can NOT transfer the paid money to another booking at such short notice, but they can modify now if place is available.

I suggest that you phone promptly at 8:00 tomorrow morning, and try to get things changed. My favourite booking company is Ezibookings 086-1114845 -- they are amazingly efficient, and try to make last minute changes...

Hope it works,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

simonB

Re: Reservations question

Unread postby simonB » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi there

Is it possible to get a extended stay price for camping or saffari tent?
I would like to come for a month and wondered if there was discount for booking an extended stay.

Any info would be great.
He will "bring to ruin those ruining the earth" I look forward to that day. You have been warned!

Kruger: 27 April - 30 May 2012

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Reservations question

Unread postby Imberbe » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:37 pm

No, there is no special price on a longer stay ... that I am aware of. :(
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: Top planning hints for your Kruger visit

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:59 am

I am not sure of your plans for eating.
When I travel alone, I tend to snack and eat one main meal.
I would count on spending about *R100 a day/per person.
I try to buy colddrinks and snacks outside the Park, as they are much cheaper and have a better selection. Fresh produce is also not always available in the Park.
I do like to buy fresh fruit in season from the vendors, but be careful of things like Mangos as they can ripen very quickly.

It can get very, very hot certain times of the year.
If I am not camping, I freeze my drinks overnight and let them thaw through the day.
I use a small cooler box (enough to hold 6 energy drinks) for my frozen drinks.
I do recommend isotonic drinks if you are not used to the heat.

Other extras I sometimes forget to factor in are ice and firewood. If you wish to braai, you would need to stock up about every second day.
Last edited by Elsa on Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: *Prices will vary from year to year.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Which route to ride from Olifants->Orpen to see Lions

Unread postby o-dog » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:05 pm

Bush Baptist wrote:Here's a thought.

In the heat of the day, lions usually lie down and stay put.

Since the area you have indicated is lion country, I hereby recommend that you

1. Drive as many roads as you can during the day to increase your chances.
2. Look at the sighting boards that you come across
3. Talk to other travellers
4. Look for traffic jams.

These 4 points are very important.
The more you drive the more you have a chance of coming across other cars who have spotted things, but with so many roads in the park I found the best is sharing info - 20% of people are unfriendly (or have no people skills) but I found most are only happy to share info to either save you driving a long road (especially important in the heat of the day) or suggesting where they had seen something earlier!
Mana Pools: 11th - 20th Oct
KNP: 27th Nov - 5 Dec

Lee797

Re: kruger park advice needed

Unread postby Lee797 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I need a bit of advise on something else. What do I need to pack if the accommodation says NO UTENSILS. Is there a kettle to boil water, and pots and pans but no plates, knifes and forks and mugs ect? Or do I need to pack everything? :? Will there be tabels/platform to prepare the food? First time staying at the NO Utensil bungalous. :redface:

Yes I am busy pakking and at the moment it looks more like we are going camping. So I thought I'll ask first.

If everything goes well, we'll be in the park first thing Monday morning!! :thumbs_up:

Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: kruger park advice needed

Unread postby Pjw » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:58 pm

You need to take crockery, cutlery and pots and pans. There is usually a communal kitchen close by with 2 plate stoves and a "boiling" water urn. We tend to braai when we stay in those units so we don't have to take too much in the way of pots and pans with us. (cook potatoes and onions in the fire and make fresh salads, baked beans and beetroot etc to simplify things) Take a flask for carrying the hot water back to your hut. The hut will have a table and enough chairs for the number of beds in the unit. I think all accommodation will have a fridge
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: What time to leave camp?

Unread postby oddesy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:47 am

agree with everyone here, get out when the gates open and then in summer i usually come back to camp at around lunch time then have an afternoon drive untill closing time, During a hot day, the middle of the day is just a little too hot!
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

CuriousCanadian

Re: Visit to KNP 18th Jan to 27th Jan

Unread postby CuriousCanadian » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi & welcome!!! :D

Maybe check out some of the threads in here read some Trip reports in here or just fire away any questions/concerns you might have....

have a great trip!!! :mrgreen:
Appreciate what you have before it becomes what you had.

forestgump
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Visit to KNP 18th Jan to 27th Jan

Unread postby forestgump » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:12 pm

extra petrol/diesel can not needed in South Africa, unless you drive in low range all the way :lol: .
Kruger has fuel in all the main restcamps.
12th to 18th Dec 2015 Berg n Dal
18th to 27th Dec Punda Maria

Return to “Kruger National Park”