Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: Best camps

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
paulgodard

Re: best scenic bush campsites

Unread post by paulgodard » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:26 pm

Unless there is a very good reason for it, I would prefer to stay away from the tented camps or bungalows and stay a min of 3 nights in a true wilderness camp.

So far only Polentswa has been sugested. What does the surrounding look like? Dunes or no dunes? What kind of game nearby?

Another choice is to stay at Nossob for the kids to enjoy the pool. Is it the best choice regarding the camp itself (mid-week - off school holiday) and regarding the surrounding area. Now combined with Polentswa, there are very nearby.

What about the camps near Kaa? Is the green track on the map from Kannaguass to Kaa, accessible to off-road trailer?

What about the campsites 1, 2 & 3 (Witgat, Rosyntjiebos & Swartbas) indicated on the map, and marked as overnight stay. I have found no info about them. Is it possible to camp there with the trailer?

Honestly, I could not imagine that it would be so 'difficult' to travel and camp with an off-road trailer in the park!

discobob

Re: best scenic bush campsites

Unread post by discobob » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:09 am

Paul,

To answer a few of your questions. Regarding Polentswa and it's surroundings. The area there is relatively open veld as the Nossob is wide and the dunes set back. In the KTP the game is everywhere and nowhere, it's very difficult to say what you'll see - but you have just as much chance as anywhere else.

Nossob is a good choice off peak. It's a spacious camp in a good viewing area with the added bonus of a pool.

Witgat etc are camps on the Nossob Eco-Trail which you have to book for and are accompanied by a ranger. You can't just arrive. And definitely no trailers. My understanding on the banning of trailers off-road is that the extra oomph needed to drag a trailer on the sandy tweespoors really stuffs the tracks up and makes it very difficult to maintain them.

The road from Kannaguass to Kaa is an access road so trailers would be allowed, but you need to check with BotsParks regarding trailers on the Kaa Loop.

If you are after better game viewing stick to the river beds, and if it's solitude you're after head for the dunes
KTP, being run by SanParks, is a more formal environment than some of our neighbours, so you can't bushcamp when you see a lekker spot, unfortunately

Lionspoon
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi: Best camps

Unread post by Lionspoon » Mon May 04, 2009 3:57 pm

Sorry to bug you all again with my questions. This time I can't decide between 3 nights at Nossob or 3 nights at TR (both are on the list but only one will have 3 nights, the other 2). After having read - what I think - all about it in the according threads I'm completed confused.

BTW wilderness camps are not an option, most are booked for the period we are planning to travel.

Oh, maybe I should add that I'd like the quietness and would die for stunning sunrises / sunsets.
Summer 2014 - Oz! It was awesome!

Dreamer
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Dreamer » Mon May 04, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi Lionspoor
Not knowing much about your trip, dates etc, I would still suggest 3 nights Nossob and 2 nights TR
At home...... dreaming of next trip to KTP

Lionspoon
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Lionspoon » Mon May 04, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks Dreamer, I tended towards that decision as well. The plan is to stay 7 to 8 nights. 2 at Urikaruus and 2 at KK are a must. At least my thinking after all I read and saw about them. Nossob and TR I'd like to do as well. Now I just need to get the bookings finally done.
Summer 2014 - Oz! It was awesome!

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: The nicest camp in the Kgalagadi.

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:49 am

I love Nossob, because it is in lion country - did I say that?

Marie se draai always has something happening, and the raptors around Nossob are the densest I have ever seen.

Cheetah, brown hyena, AWC, BEF, Cape fox are also regularly seen, and at the northern waterholes, leopard.

The camp atmousphere does it for me, and skoonma can skinny dip in the pool at night

Urikaruus, where I have never stayed has a great reputation, and Grootkolk where I have stayed is a great place to leave skoonma if she is disagreeable.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

AndreB
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AndreB » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:16 pm

billyf, thanks for suggesting Grootkolk.
AFRICAT,I agree I have gone slightly overboard by often mentioning the
very nicest,most knowledgeable,unbelievably keen and ardent lover of nature and game parks,my Leah's skoonma(my wife's mother-in-law)!!!
Even though she is 88 years young ,she brings us coffee a million hours before the gate opens to make sure we'll be on the road as soon as the
gate person gets himself clear.

Now you guys know why my planning for Kgalagadi must be sound.
No man is an Island...
John Donne(1573-1631)

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by p@m » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:30 pm

Don't forget Kalahari Tented Camp -- also a lovely camp to stay in -- and has a pool on a raised deck. They have 2 bed and 4 bed tents

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Imagine you had 10 days......

Unread post by G@mespotter » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi all

Most of you know me as an absolute Kruger fanatic, which I am

However, we're thinking of visiting Kgalagadi next year, so hence my new topic. It looks like it's going to be a toss of the coin between either July or September next year (2010). Not negotiable unfortunately....

I know of all the knowledgable folks around here, and the willingness to share thoughs, so I'm the 'first timer' going to Kgalagadi :

Imagine you had 10 days, 9 nights to spend in Kgalagadi. WHAT would you advice me? Where should I stay? What can't I miss?

We intend to stay in Kgalagadi for 10 days, either in July or September. We want to CAMP for at least 6/7 nights. 1 or 2 days in a non camping camp will also do, just for the experience. It's just to get ideas!

I want to stay at least 4 nights in Nossob. Now, if you can help me with when, how where

LOVE to hear suggestions!! Thanks
Tlopi 11 July Tambotie 12 July, Olifants Backpack trail 13-16 July, Letaba 16 July, Balule 17 July, and Sable Hide 18 July and Lower Sabie 19-20 July Can't wait actually :)

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Imagine you had 10 days......

Unread post by p@m » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:05 pm

Hoo boy, are you going to get some answers here

Camping -- would spend the first 2 nights at Twee Rivieren so you can get a feel for the park and still be close to the shop and have cell signal (Actually so you can do the last minute shopping in Upington and not have to rush )

Nossob -- at least 4 nights

That leaves you with camping at Mata Mata for 2 nights and only 1 night spare for a wilderness camp
Let's see what the others have to say

Vlakvark5

Unread post by Vlakvark5 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:15 pm

When our children were still little, we used to stay in chalets, and since Tweerivieren was the only camp with a swimming pool, it was the preferred camp for us. Now that the children are bigger (grade 6, 10, and 12) and the camping-gogga has bitten us, the order of preference definately is: (1)Nossob (lots of animal life); (2) Mata Mata (less animals but more birdlife) and only then Tweerivieren!

We have visited KTP evry year since 2000, and will keep returning. The roads have taken it's toll on our vehicles (2 broken blade springs on 2 different bakkies; a few tyres written off) but it is a small price to pay for the privilege to experience the Kalahari first hand!

We are on our way there in 2 weeks' time (first a visit to Mokala and Witsand and then a week in KTP) and have already booked for next year (Nosson 4x4 eco trail).

We can't stay away!

Regards
Francois

Jo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:09 pm

Gamespotter

You are going to get a few different opinions here

Ok, 9 nights...
- TR - camping
- TR - camping
- Nossob - camping
- Nossob - camping
- Nossob - camping
- Nossob - camping
- Kalahari Tented camp
- Kalahari Tented camp
- Urikaruus

But Grootkolk is great, Bitterpan is worth a visit, Kieliekrankie looks awsome.....

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Well, if it was me, based on what I have planned and read on the forums so far:

1 - TR (Camping)
2 - TR (Camping)
3 - Nossob (Camping)
4 - Nossob (Camping)
5 - Nossob (Camping)
6 - Nossob (Camping)
7 - Bitterpan (Wilderness Camp - if you have a 4x4)
8 - Kalahari Tented camp
9 - Kalahari Tented camp

Whatever you decide on, you'll enjoy it either way! All the best with your decision making.
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

carolz

Unread post by carolz » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:35 am

Hi all
What about Mata Mata? -it is the best camp for camping (in my humble opinion ). They are busy building there at the moment but should be completed by then! You camp right next to the waterhole and it has big trees. Unfortunately the generator from the Namibian borderpost does make some noise in the evenings.
The two riverbeds are different and you have to spend equal time on each until you decide for yourself which you prefer. (we like the Auob)
OK my 9 nights would be
2 Kieliekrankie - Not that far from TR and still in south
3 Mata Mata
4 Nossop
No sorry you going to have to go for longer!!
The grass is always greener - where you water it!

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:30 pm

September is a great time in Kgal.

1-3 Nossob
4-5 Grootkolk
6-7 Nossob
8-9 Urikaruus

is my perfect 9 nighter.

Now for a sponsor....
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Return to “Arid Parks”