Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: Twee Rivieren Camp

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Caracal
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator - Honeybadger Award (2016)

Unread post by Caracal » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:59 am

Hi Keith and welcome to the forum. There are definitely no heaters in any of the chalets in KTP. Twee Riveiren has an air conditioner though and I am not sure whether that blows hot air as well. I don't think you will need to bring extra blankets. The chalets are normally stocked with enough blankets. What I do suggest though is a hot water bottle or two....especially for the kids. Warm jackets and beanies are essential for the early mornings and evenings!
Enjoy!
Last edited by Caracal on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jonkers

Unread post by Jonkers » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:11 am

The airco in Twee Rivieren can be put on heat too. We only used it in June in the morning for 10 minutes so shower / dressing has more comfort. Outside much to our surprise the windows and car was iced.

amyuk

Twee Rivieren Chalets - what are they like?

Unread post by amyuk » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:41 pm

Hiya,

We are thinking of hiring a chalet (at Twee Rivieren camp) KTP and hiring a 4x4 instead of hiring a motorhome as will be too difficult on the roads.

Just wondering what they were like? any advice on specific things to take with us?

thanks very much
amy

Lusitano

Re: Twee Rivieren Chalets - what are they like?

Unread post by Lusitano » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:43 pm

Hi Amy

You can see at Home Page - "Accommodation" - "Check availability at Twee Rivieren", there you can find photos of TR challets

Have a nice trip

KTP 17 to 31 january 2009

Russ

Re: Twee Rivieren Chalets - what are they like?

Unread post by Russ » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:39 am

Hi amy

As you are going to KTP next month i would take any accommodation you can get and then just ENJOY yourself, KTP is the best park i have been too, we stayed in four differant camps in May this year and enjoyed them all, in their own differant ways.
Is this your first trip to SANparks, if so you will be spoilt, if not you will see big differances.
one thing i would advise is to take insect repellant, it is not a malaria area but trust me you can still get bitten, especially if you have that sweet English blood (like me) for more info have a look at icurrie's trip report

have fun and enjoy

Russ
my mind and body may be in england my soul is in africa

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: 2R restaurants

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:54 pm

Delicious, and a source of fun!
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

TheunsH
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by TheunsH » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi again RayK, you have to eat Skilpadjies, it's great!!

But you HAVE to eat Pofadder as well. It's actually liver sausage. It looks like the Puff-adder snake. Here are the ingredients from the internet (Ristows):

* Vetderm -Large fatty intestine of sheep, goat or game
* Liver, kidneys, heart of the animal - pancreas optional
* Extra kidney fat (optional)
* Sage
* Thyme
* Parsley
* Salt
* Pepper
* Bread Crumbs

It's power food!!

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:19 pm

I love skilpadjies and pofadder ...did not know that the pancreas was optional...
aquila non capit muscas

TheunsH
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by TheunsH » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:25 pm

MATTHYS, I agree with you. Pofadder is NOT Pofadder without pancreas!

And CuriousCanadian you have to try it..you will be hooked for live.

Dotty
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Dotty » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:38 pm

Skilpadjies sounds very like ScottishHaggis or English Savoury ducks/faggots
KUDU's mean Well done and Thank you

Dotty
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Dotty » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:02 pm

this is the best explanation I could find...I once had to explain it to a French customer She had little English and me no French Hilarious!!
A faggot is a kind of meatball, a traditional dish in the UK, especially the Midlands of England. It is made from meat off-cuts and offal, especially pork.A faggot is traditionally made from pig heart, liver and fatty belly meat or bacon minced together, with herbs added for flavouring and sometimes breadcrumbs. The mixture is shaped in the hand into balls, wrapped round with caul fat (the omentum membrane from the pig's abdomen), and baked.
KUDU's mean Well done and Thank you

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Telephone number for Twee Rivieren

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:10 pm

Park tel: + 27 (0) 54 561 2000
Fax: + 27 (0) 54 561 2005
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Caracal
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator - Honeybadger Award (2016)

Twee Rivieren's new Reception now open

Unread post by Caracal » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:19 pm

We arrived back at Twee Rivieren on the 26th to find that the new Reception Office was now open. It was opened that day..I am wondering if I was the first forumite to see it. If so ..what a privilege. There were still many workers around doing last minute finishing touches so I did not take too many photos.

There is now a fence across the road that we have travelled so many times into the park.

The Gemsbok have been moved and I think they looked quite chuffed with their new position...certainly the view is better.

The entrance leading into the Reception

The reception itself.

It really is lovely inside....but what really impressed me were the smiling beaming faces belonging to the staff. They were all very proud of their new surrounds.
My first impression was that it was a bit dark and cold inside but when we checked out the next day it seemed much lighter and warmer. Probably a few teething problems with the lights and air con.
One checks in and out at the new Reception but permits are handled at the old entrance gate. I believe the old Reception is going to become a Information Centre .

MATTHYS

Re: Twee Rivieren's new Reception now open

Unread post by MATTHYS » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:41 pm

WOW...that went fast !
We checked out at Twee Rivieren on the tenth of June and it did not look as if it would be open for quite a while.
Thanks for sharing, Caracal Really impressive !
aquila non capit muscas

afri-explore
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Twee Rivieren's new Reception now open

Unread post by afri-explore » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:46 pm

This is a nice new environment and now all the activities takes place in the new building.
That includes the handling of permits. We handed permits in at the old gate one day and they informed us that they would be closing the gate that evening for permits and the rest of the time we handed in and collected it from the new office.

I like the idea that both the customs offices are now in the same building. The Botswana side keeps longer office hours. We were able to do the Botswana side when the SA side was already closed for more than 30 minutes . Also had some problems to attract the attention of the official. The office space is in the back with a partly sand-blasted decorated door between the office and the front desk. This door obscures the view between the office desk and the front desk. Jumping and shouting had no effect . Fortunately the SAPS member on duty assisted and performing got the attention of the customs official. I recommend that they install a bell at the front desk.

I have been through various Botswana border posts. The first thing that you notice is that they are friendly and highly competent in their work. The SA staff can learn a lot from them on how to deal with the public. Most SA staff has this dull expression and you get the impression that they are doing you a big favour.

Return to “Arid Parks”