Skip to Content

Mokala NP: advice, etc

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Jakkalsbessie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jakkalsbessie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:02 pm

MarkWildDog wrote:Thanks a million for the very detailed info, JB. A great help!
Do you possibly know how long of a drive it is from bloem? 2hrs? 2 and a half?

Pleasure Mark, please ask if you have more questions.
Unfortunately we went via Kimberley so i'm not sure about the distance/time. IIRC Boorgatspook visited from Bloem so maybe ask him?

Jumbo wrote:What is the travelling time from Mokala to PTA?

I would agree with Dave and also say about 6 to 61/2 hours. Off course depending on the number and lenght of your stops.
Also maybe depending on the route you take... it seems as if they are working on the N12 for ever... between Christiana and Bloemhof we were stopped time and time again and for long periods for all this "stop-go" signs
The route we usually take which is very quite and scenic, and i know you 2 like that is the route via Parys, Viljoenskroon, Bothaville, Hoopstad, Hertzogville to Boshof (this last stretch is gravel but good) and then Kimberley.
just not sure if it will be harvest time that time of year so might be some tractors etc on the road... but otherwise a very nice, good road

Even if just 1 night you will have a great time in this gem of a park
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
Please help save Mapungubwe NP - Facebook page

Jakkalsbessie

Unread post by Jakkalsbessie » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi Giraffe,

No problem, please ask as many questions as you want
I contacted some people I know travelling through that area and the road works are still in full swing
Also according to SANRAL:
National Route N12
Section Christiana to Bloemhof
Condition of Road: Fair to poor and uneven in places.
Comments: Road is being reconstructed and widened on the section between Bloemhof and Beefmaster. 2 Stop/go controls will be encountered with delays of up to 20 minutes. There will be reduced speed limits in place within these areas
Duration of Work Completion: March 2010.

They unfortunately don’t give an e-mail address only a cell phone no, so maybe nearer to your trip I can phone the responsible person and get some up to date info for you Apparently there are some new road works just outside Kimberley (northern side) now as well with 20min waiting periods.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

Jakkalsbessie

Unread post by Jakkalsbessie » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:25 pm

Giraffe wrote:The next day we plan on spending the morning in Mokala before we leave for Potchefstroom. And the next day we enter KNP

Yvonne, just thinking about this again, i really don't think you have to worry. Potchefstroom is about 420 - 430 km's from Mokala (roughly) so even with all the road works and stops etc i'm sure this will not take you more than 5 hours. So if you spend the morning in Mokala and leave at 12 or so you will be in Potch before dark

Jakkalsbessie

Mokala: Mofele lodge

Unread post by Jakkalsbessie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:13 am

Sorry not that much / great, but might help someone to get an idea what it looks like...

Darwin

Re: lillydale in mokala

Unread post by Darwin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:16 am

Hi Stricks,

I have no pics of Lilydale but just some info: Lilydale is lovely with chalets overlooking the Riet river! However just bear in mind, Lilydale is not connected to the bigger Mokala yet. The park is still busy expanding so if you want to do lots of game driving you have to drive all the way to Mokala. It is quite a long drive, gravel road to the main tar road and then a few kilo's to the turnoff to Mokala and then a gravel road to the park. I guess it would take about an hour... depending on your vehicle and speed on gravel roads (Lilydale is actually very close to Mokala but there is one private owned farm separating them so you have to drive around).

There is very little game on Lilydale so if you want to see buffalo, rhino, giraffe, roan then you need to go to Mokala and then it will be best to rather book at Mosu Lodge or camping at Haak en Steek.

If you just need a place to stay over and relax with views of the river and do some birding then Lilydale is very nice!

Hope this helps!

Deborah Martin

Mokala National Park

Unread post by Deborah Martin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:39 pm

Can anybody give me any info on Mokala Park. We are planning a trip in December.

Is it too hot? or will we get caught in the rains?
Do they have self-catering?
Is there a shop to purchase stuff?
Can you drive a saloon car?
What sort of birdlife can you find?
Are there any man eating predators?

Thanks
Deborah

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Mokala National Park

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi and welcome to the forums Deborah!

Have a look at this page: Mokala, that may tell you all you want?

A fairly recent tripreport was written by Boorgatspook, and can be found here.

Enjoy!
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Deborah Martin

Unread post by Deborah Martin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks for that but what about the accommodaton etc?

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:46 pm

Accommodation.

Now for Haak-en-Steek rest camp you can click on the small photos here, and for Mosu Lodge here. That last link is a little less deep, there are 3 options

And just in case you are a birder: birding in Mokala by one of our Guru's.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

ursa

Re: Mosu Lodge

Unread post by ursa » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:42 pm

There are two slightly more expensive self-catering chalets at the front, which have a nice view of the kalahari thornveld. I'd advise trying to book those if you can. The other rooms (which have no kitchenettes) tend to look out on the back of other chalets with only small bits of view in the distance. The camp is not a new one built by Sanparks, but an old hunting lodge that they took over on the property. Obviously hunters place less emphasis on a view than we game lovers! It's still a lovely camp, though, with friendly staff. Well worth doing the night drive too - probably your best chance ever of seeing an aardvark.

CliveG

Camping at Mokala

Unread post by CliveG » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:52 am

Is there a suitable camping facility for a caravan at Mokala?

MATTHYS

Re: Camping at Mokala

Unread post by MATTHYS » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:59 pm

Warm welcome to the forums, CliveG
Please read Mokala NP : ADVICE.
You will find info regarding the facilities there.
aquila non capit muscas

CliveG

Unread post by CliveG » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:56 pm

Thanks Matthys, We are on our way from Prince Albert to the Kruger in our motorhome and wanted to stay over somewhere different. We usually stay at the Big Hole in Kinberley but have chosen Mokala. I just hope that the road to the camp is okay. I ruined a previous motorhome on the poor roads around Kleinzee.

Boorgatspook

Unread post by Boorgatspook » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi CliveG and welcome! The roads in the park are great but you wont have any problems! A bit sandy and norrow sometimes but dont think it would be a problem. The 20 odd km from the main tar road to the entrance gate to the park is very corogated, just take it slowly... Might be better now though, dont know...

Boorgatspook

Unread post by Boorgatspook » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:16 pm

In general all the roads are fine for sedan during dry season. But it can be a problem and not accessible when it have rained alot.
But sure reception will advice you accordingly when needed.

Return to “Arid Parks”