Skip to Content

Eagle: Wahlberg's

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
Cherries
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by Cherries » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:51 pm

Help! Seen on Mahonie Loop, Punda Maria - end of August 08. Your expert advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jackie

Yolandé Oelsen
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yolandé Oelsen » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:04 am

Cherries, I think it might be a Wahlberg's Eagle pale form. :hmz:
www.whereeaglesrest.co.za
STIFFNECK
"I'll rise up like the Eagle & I will soar with You because Your Spirit leads me on ~ by the Power of Your Love"

Anja
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Anja » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:44 pm

This one I saw in KNP (september) on the s100 collecting twigs.

shazzer

help needed to identify this eagle.

Unread post by shazzer » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:39 am

Hope these come up ok.

These pictures taken two weeks ago near Letaba. Some controversy as rangers who looked thought it was either a wahlberg adult morph or a tawny adult morph. would appreciate any experts here identifying, thanks

Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)
Award: Birder of the Year (2014)

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:53 am

I haven't got any reference material with me at the moment, but subject to confirmation I'll call Wahlberg's. Pale morph tawny would have pale wing coverts as well while a pale morph Wahlberg's shows the wing coverts typically as in your pix (dangerous ground to make ID call based on plumage with these birds, I know... but I'm feeling BRAVE this morning! :lol: )

Although the shots are from the front, I get the feeling that the beak is not as robust as it would be if it was a Tawny. The gape seems to be deep (Wahlberg's) and the eye seems to be brown (Wahlberg's). In the first pix the tail feathers is shown to have fine barring and enough of the wing patterns can be seen to make a call based on that... alas, that will have to wait until I can look at some reference material. But I have a feeling I'm right on the money already
679 Last 5 lifers: Rüppell's vulture, Spotted crake, Lesser jacana, Burchell's courser, Double-banded courser

Niall
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Niall » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:05 am

Pale Wahlbergs in my opinion - black markings in front of the eye is one of the diagnostic features.

shazzer

Unread post by shazzer » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:26 pm

Thanks all for your help here is a closer one of the head which I hope confirms pale wahlberg. Can you tell me should I call it a Pale Morph, what does 'morph' mean, I can take an educated guess but a firm definition would help. Are 'morphs' rare?

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Imberbe » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:54 am

In some species colour variations are rare.

Not in the Wahlbergs! You get a range of different variations, though darker birds are more common. This pale one is a well known variation.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Mgoddard
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by Mgoddard » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:50 pm

And some more seen on the road between Malelane Gate and Afsaal....sorry but these brown ones really gets me confused...Im not sure as it could be Steppe, Lesser Spotted, Wahlbergs Eagle etc....they all look the same to me :( :shock:

And this is only from the first day :shock: :redface:

deefstes
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by deefstes » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:58 pm

@mgoddard:
Your second post contains two different birds. The first one is an Aquila eagle but it's hard to say which one as not many ID features are visible. You can rule out Steppe Eagle based on the extent of the gape and you can rule out Lesser Spotted Eagle based on the relative bagginess of the feathering around the tarsus. It's not nearly as baggy as Booted Eagle or Steppe Eagle would have had but it's certainly not as narrow as that of Lesser Spotted Eagle. It pretty much leaves you with Tawny Eagle and Wahlberg's Eagle. I'm tempted to think that it's the latter but I'm hesitant to really make a call.
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel." -Homer Simpson

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:55 am

Here's another of those perplexing BBJs, altho deefstes' comments in the post immediately above does help a bit. This bird was quite a lot smaller than a tawny eagle (which I'd been observing earlier that morning), and my first guess would be dark morph booted eagle except for the apparent absence of those "landing lights". The other choice would be a smallish dark morph Wahlbergs. Unfortunately the "backlit" position didn't help with my photos :roll: I saw this bird in KNP in a tree overhanging the H7 on 12 October 2008.

RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

deefstes
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by deefstes » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:22 am

Hi arks,

The dark chocolaty brown colour and the slight hint of a crest suggests this is Wahlberg's Eagle.
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel." -Homer Simpson

Rusty Justy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: Sunninghill(JHB), Vaalwater & Beauty(Waterberg), Grahamstown(E.C)

Unread post by Rusty Justy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:25 am

Hi Arks,

Definately a Wahlberg's Eagle! :thumbs_up: .....Booted Eagle should show the 'landing lights' & shouldn't show the crest on the head, and should also have an unmarked tail I believe.
:dance: STIFFNECKS MEMBER :dance:

FGASA LEVEL 1

Moegaai
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Moegaai » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:33 am

Hi all... Many pics still to "process" from the Ratpack trip. I've already called this as the dark form of Wahlberg's Eagle (narrow tail in flight along with lighter spots on outer wing), but would appreciate your confirmation of it? Seen in vicinity of Satara, unfortunately with difficult lighting conditions:

Thanks!

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:24 pm

I know that this one is likely impossible to ID from these photos, but then again, it never hurts to ask? :tongue: My guess would be possibly dark morph Wahlbergs? Seen on 12 October 2008 along the western portion of the S145. I actual saw the(se) bird(s) twice, on the 10th, when there was a pair of birds in this tree, the one on the nest and a mate, and again on the 12th, when only the bird on the nest was there. Neither bird ever gave me a clear view on either day, but at least the sun was in the west on the 12th (whereas on the morning of the 10th, the sun was in the east, so the birds and tree were backlit :roll: )

RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”