Skip to Content

Augrabies Falls NP: Advice

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:58 am

Hi jvrf and Welcome!

You can definitely see most of Augrabies easily in a Corolla, that's what I was driving in September. I don't know anything about the trail, but if GVI Augrabies (Rudolf, the GVI volunteer) doesn't spot your query and reply in a day or two, you might want to send him a PM.
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:13 am

Hi jvrf, welcome to the forum.
The roads inside the park are all dirt, but a sedan is fine.
I would consider the 6km moon rock trail, which is very pleasant. Just make sure you go at the cooler (ha ha) times of the day, taking enough liquid, sunscreen and hats.
Take your bird book also.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

jvrf

Unread post by jvrf » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:24 am

I was born and raised in Kimberley. At least I have a pretty good idea of the heat out in that parts of the country. Bush Baptist, you are talking about the moon rock trail. Is this a guided trail or can one wander through it on your own? (Like the Dassie trail)

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:54 am

Moon rock is an unguided trail, with markers along it to show you the way so you don't wander off it!

jvrf

Unread post by jvrf » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:58 am

Does this trail also start at the rest camp then? Or where do I have to go to take this trail?

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:14 pm

AFAIR, the trail starts and ends at the restcamp.

GVIAugrabies

Unread post by GVIAugrabies » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:13 pm

Hi all! We've been very busy here this past month with our Kids In Parks programme which did not allow me to spend much time in the office. I'm back now however, so everything is going to be ok

In reply to your question jvrf, the roads are indeed fine to drive on with a regular car although we do recommend a 4x4 if you want to do the entire loop (94km) simply because it will be a more comfortable experience. All the major viewpoints are easily accessible with any car.

There are two trails in the park, the Dassie (5km) and the Klipspringer (40km, 3 days). In summer visitors are only allowed to walk the Dassie trail due the heat. Leaving early in the morning will probably be the most rewarding, not only considering the temperature but also because much wildlife will be drawn to the area around the trail since it has the most water and shade. Keep an eye out for the cape clawless otters! Ask at reception for a detailed brochure outlining some interesting sites along the trail.

Moonrock can be climbed when you are walking the Dassie Trail (you pass along its base) but there is no seperate Moonrock trail. You will have to continue on the Dassie Trail after visiting the summit.

As christo mentioned running shoes or light hiking shoes are your best option considering the weather and the level of the trail. (I've walked part of it in my flipflops but I don't recommend it.
Mara le Mahieu
GVI Volunteer 2008
Augrabies

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:02 pm

Thanks for the precise correction Rudolf. We must have done the Dassie trail incorporating Moonrock!

Jonkers

Unread post by Jonkers » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:53 pm

The camp map on the website is not all that clear for me to see the nrs and the explanation of the chalets double or single beds. Does anyone have a link or can place a map where I actually can read the nrs
I'm specific looking for the nrs of the chalets on the left hand while standing in front of reception
Thanks

joanine

Getting Married at Augrabies

Unread post by joanine » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:34 pm

Is it possible to have a wedding and reception at Augrabies?

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Getting Married at Augrabies

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:47 pm

I don't see why not! It has been done a few times in Kruger in recent years, and at Golden Gate.

RudolfD

Re: Getting Married at Augrabies

Unread post by RudolfD » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:44 pm

Hi Joanine, it's definitely possible and has been done at least once that I know of! One of the previous GVI volunteers at Augrabies, Sandy, got married on one of the larger platforms overlooking the waterfall. Couldn't be there myself unfortunately but certainly a pretty memorable location.

There's also space for receptions and the terrace of the restaurant has an awesome panorama. If you need any other info let me know, or give the park a ring.
"I am not an empire builder, I am not a missionary, I am not truly a scientist. I merely want to return to Africa and continue my wanderings."
Joseph Thomson

Rudolf - Former GVI Volunteer 2007

killabeez

From Augrabies to KTP.

Unread post by killabeez » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi there guys, new to the forum here. Been going to KNP for as long as I can remeber. We've always wanted to visit KTP & in Dec we will, hopefully, be visiting. We'll be staying in Augrabies for 3 days & then on to KTP for 3 days.

As we are not familiar with the Northern Cape, we were wondering is there is a road from augrabies to KTP without going back through Upington.

So thats my question for now & hope to learn a lot from this great forum.

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: From Augrabies to KTP.

Unread post by p@m » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:50 pm

Hi killabeez and welcome ! Note the health warning about this forum being addictive
No, afraid not, but you will probably want to stop in Upington anyway to shop for provisions for your trip. The camp shops have very little in the way of provisions and no fresh veg, fruit at all. Only frozen meat too.
Enjoy your trip !

killabeez

Re: From Augrabies to KTP.

Unread post by killabeez » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:57 pm

Thanx p@m, I know it's gonna be addictive . I'm thinking along the same lines of getting fresh provisions in Upington. It's been our dream for quite a while now. Thanx again

Return to “Arid Parks”