Skip to Content

West Coast NP: INFO

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast
dianne
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by dianne » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:24 pm

Hi

I haven't had feedback on the above issue as of yet.

I'm posting this message on behalf of the WC Honorary Rangers

It is with great regret that the West Coast Honorary Rangers announce the death of Mrs. Johanna Blake who died this morning (15 November 2007) in Langebaan aged 95.
Johanna was the mother of our very own Oom Dawid Bester, Master Tracker who sadly passed away on 01 August 2001, leaving his wife, Tannie Christina and a number of children. A nine kilometer hiking trail in the Park has since been named after him in his honour.
The HR West Coast Region will remember both of these wonderful people in our thoughts and prayers.
Dianne Tipping-Woods

sammylou

Unread post by sammylou » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:07 pm

Is it worthwhile visiting WCNP in February? Not sure if we will have time but we are in Cape Town for 6 days so we might (I'm presuming it's do-able to go as a daytrip from Cape Town - we are staying in Bantry Bay)
Many things that human words have upset, are set at rest again by the silence of animals.

restio
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by restio » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:07 pm

sammylou, it's a lovely day-trip from Cape Town. Whether it's worth it depends on what else you have planned, and what your interests are.

If you are a birder, or have an interest in waterbirds, WCNP is a must. The landscape up the West Coast is also very pretty, in a sand-and-sea way, and the Langebaan Lagoon is a major attraction for watersports.

Of course, the flowers are a major attraction, but they are a spring event.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:35 pm

sammylou, WCNP is one of my personal favourites, I always visit it (sometimes more than once) when I am in the Cape. There's lots more to it than the spring wildflowers. I find the landscapes beautiful and the variety of plants very interesting, and of course the birding is very good. You will likely see ostriches and bontebok, possible also tortoises and I once had a glimpse of a caracal 8) I also love the Tsaarsbank beach area, where you will see interesting shore birds, including the endangered African oystercatcher, as well as waves crashing into rocks. And if you follow the track past the picnic area, there's a nice long beach if you enjoy walking along beaches.

There are several WCNP trip reports, including mine from April 2006 (doubt I'll get September 2007 written before you're there), in the Cape parks trip report index. Have a great trip!!
RSA 2017
9-11 November Cape Town
11-29 November RMS St Helena: St Helena & Ascension
29-30 November Cape Town
1 December-21 January Darling

Neil Crawford

Unread post by Neil Crawford » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:04 pm

[quote="arks"]possible also tortoises

There were tortoises everywhere when we were there in Sept 2006. It was easy to get shots of tortoises amongst flowers.
Birds were great too, and we saw lots of interesting plants.
This ferraria crispa for instance:

It's nice because you can get photos of animals and birds in a sea of flowers.
/Neil

Bokmakierie

Unread post by Bokmakierie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:19 am

Does anybody have an idea on when the best period for flowers will be in West Coast National Park (especially Postberg) this year (2008)?

I normally go around the 2nd weekend (9/10 Aug) in August, but this year I can't. I suppose the 3rd weekend (16/17 Aug) will still be OK?

I've been to Langebaan on 19/20 July, but saw no flowers yet. I was quite surprised, I saw a lot of tortoises around. Don't they hibernate any more?

I assume we can expect a great flower season due to all the good rains.

annalie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by annalie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:28 am

Hi there Bokmakierie. The rainfall and the lack of warm berg winds have a definite influence on the lenght of the flower season. I personally prefer late August and early September for visiting Postberg and yes, it seems as if the flowers are a little slow this year. I think 16/17 August will do just fine. Just remember, the best time to observe the flowers are normally between 11H00 and 15H00 when the flowers turns towards the sun ... so try to keep the sun behind you for the best views and photo opportunities. Happy flowering season to you.
Knowledge is power, but enthusiasm pulls the switch

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Last week Aug & first week Sept are usually bankers. The rest can be early or late depending on the rain, which has been good this year so far.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

annalie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by annalie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:40 pm

Just an update on the flowers currently on the West Coast

LANGEBAAN
Postberg opened until 30September for flower viewing.
Flowers can be seen on the road between Vredenburg and St Helena and also on the road from Vredenburg towards Hopefield.From Saldanha,Blou waterbaai as you come into Langebaan in Long Acres
Open fields in the whole area of Langebaan.In postberg all the flowers are in full bloom already ecspecially on a nice day
Langebaan Country Estate and the road behind Oliphantskap on your way to the R27.
On the road between Paternoster and Vredenburg also towards Tietiesbaai and Columbine Nature reserve.Inside Postberg private nature reserve the flowers are very beautiful.On the road between Vredenburg and Saldanha beautiful varklelies.

Along the roads:
There’s rain flowers and yellow suringe all over the fields and on the roads and white daisies.Between Saldanha and Vredenburg along the road varklelies.

On your way to Vredenburg, turn left for Jacobsbay you will see spectacular views of flowers. From Langebaan on to Saldanha in Camp street is a variety of flowers.

TYPE OF FLOWERS:
Vygies
Romelia saldenis-Yellow knots.
Daisies

POSTBERG (Flowers in bloom)
bolblomme,bobbejaantjies,Viooltjies,
bloukappie,rotstert,varklelie,spinnekopblom,yellow suringe,Nealtjiesblom,lobelia,Vygies,
Bloublekkie,rotsterte,blue flowers,orange daisies,vygie bosse,chinkerenchees, rooi kanools Blou Flaks pietsnot are all out already

COLUMBINE NATURE RESERVE (Flowers in bloom)
Hermannia alnifolia – Bos poproos, Euphobia burmannii – Steenbokbos, Dorotheanthus Bellidiformis – Bokbaai Vygie, Pelargonium fulgidum – Rooi Malva,
Trachyandra falcata – Namakwa Kool,Albuca flaccida – slang tamarak,Carpo acinaciformis – Elandsvy,Thesium spinosum – steek Groenbasbossie,Lampampranthus vredenburgensis –Vredenburg kruip vygie,Ballota africana – Kattekruit,Nemesia versicolor – Weeskindertjies / bont Leeubekkie,Salvia africana- Strand Sali, Dimorphotheca pluvialis – Reenblommetjie,Oxalis pes-capre – Suring / Sorel,Hemimeris sabulosa – sand Geelgesiggie,Oxalis obtusa – geeloog Suring,Hermannia althaefolia – wolhaar Poproos,Teragonia fruticosa – Kinkelbossie,Arctotis hisuta – Gousblom,Feraria crispa - Spinnekopblom

GENERAL:
Because of the rain, the flowers are guaranteed to be at its best this year.
Experience the beauty of flowers between 11h00 and 16h00, the warmest periods of the day.Flowers turn their faces towards the sun.

annalie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: West Coast NP: INFO

Unread post by annalie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:44 am

Update on flower report: 14-20 August 2008

LANGEBAAN AREA

LOCATION OF FLOWERS:
Postberg opened until 30September for flower viewing.
Road between Vredenburg and St Helena and also on the road from Vredenburg towards Hopefield.From Saldanha,Blou waterbaai as you come into Langebaan in Long Acres

Open fields in the whole area of Langebaan.In postberg all the flowers are in full bloom already ecspecially on a nice day
Langebaan Country Estate and the road behind Oliphantskap on your way to the R27.
On the road between Paternoster and Vredenburg also towards Tietiesbaai and Columbine Nature reserve.Inside Postberg private nature reserve the flowers are all still very beautiful.On the road between Vredenburg and Saldanha beautiful varklelies.
Hopefield:On the road between Hopefield and Velddriff till you reach Cloeteskraal(Tarred Road)
From Cloeteskraal to Langebaanweg Airforce Base for 12km(Gravel Road)
On the R45 from Langebaanweg to Hopefield(Tarred Road)
In the town plots are covered with flowers that gives a snow effect.
ST.HELENA BAY:Two spreads of Namakwa Gousblomme.At Da Gama monument just after the untarred road coming down from Paternoster and also on the Visser’s farm abutting Golden Mile/Britannia Bay.On Brittanica Heights a variety of bolplant are already showing themselves, with the last od Trachandra ciliata and suuring (oxalis) still to be seen.

TYPE OF FLOWERS:
Along the roads:
There’s rain flowers and yellow suringe all over the fields and on the roads and white daisies.Between Saldanha and Vredenburg along the road varklelies.

POSTBERG
Bolblomme,bobbejaantjies,Viooltjies,
bloukappie,rotstert,varklelie,spinnekopblom,yellow suringe,Nealtjiesblom,lobelia,Vygies,
Bloublekkie,rotsterte,blue flowers,orange daisies,vygie bosse,chinkerenchees, rooi kanools Blou Flaks pietsnot are all out already. Chrysanthemoides monilifera - Bietou § Saliva lanceolata - rooi Salie Gladiolus caeruleus - Saldanha Pypie Ferraria crispa - Spinnekopblom (starting) Cysticapnos versicarius - Klappertjie Dorotheanthus bellidiformis - Bokbaai Vygie Carpobrutus acinaciformis - Elandsvy Dimorphotheca pluvialis - Reenblommetjie Albuca flaccida - slang Tamarak , Hemimeris sabulosa

COLUMBINE NATURE RESERVE
Nemesia versicolor - bont Leeubekkie / Weeskindertjies § Limonium peregrinum - Strandroos § Pelargonium fulgidum - rooi Malva § Euphorbia burmannii - Steenbokbos § Cynanchum africanum - Bobbejaantou § Ballota africana - Kattekruid § Lampranthus vredenburgensis - Vredenburg kruip Vygie § Freesia viridis - groen Agretjie (on their way out) § Lebeckia spinescens - Blou Fluitjiesbos § Zygophyllum spinosum - Spekbos § Chlorophytum triflorum - Gifkool § Cotula turbinate - Ganskos § Thesium spinosum - steek Groenbasbossie § Zygophyllum morgsana - Slaaibos § Chrysanthemoides monilifera - Bietou § Saliva lanceolata - rooi Salie § Gladiolus caeruleus - Saldanha Pypie § Ferraria crispa - Spinnekopblom (starting) § Cysticapnos versicarius - Klappertjie § Dorotheanthus bellidiformis - Bokbaai Vygie § Carpobrutus acinaciformis - Elandsvy § Dimorphotheca pluvialis - Reenblommetjie § Albuca flaccida - slang Tamarak § Hemimeris sabulosa - sand Geelgesiggie § Teragonia fruticosa - Kinkelbossie (starting) § Arctotis hirsuta - Gousblom § Zaluzianskya villosa - Drumsticks (starting) § Hermannie myrrhifolia - flynblaar kruip Poproos

Happy flowering!!

junior1449

Unread post by junior1449 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:52 pm

Hi all.
Does anyone know if there is mountain biking in the west coast NP, and if so does anyone have some more detailed info on it?

thanks.

annalie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by annalie » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:26 pm

Hi Junior 1449! There are some cycling routes of different distances within the WCNP. You can contact the the WC National Parks office on 022-7722144 for more information.

Munchkin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Munchkin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:44 pm

For the record - spent a great afternoon at WCNP and had a wonderful lunch at the Geelbek Restaurant - checked out the Duinepos chalets and would highly recommend spending some time there - a great get away from the hustle and bustle of city life....!!
(Munchkin = Our Persian Cat - Sadly Munchie no longer with us.)

Bokmakierie

Unread post by Bokmakierie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:15 pm

Yes, we regularly have breakfast/tea/lunch at Geelbek. One of the better places to eat in/around Langebaan. In summer the West Coast flies is a bit of a problem! Pity they can't be open in the evening as the park closes at night.

I love their curry!

AndreB
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AndreB » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Have you thought,Bokmakierie,how wonderful it will be if Sanparks offers a
nightdrive which starts at Geelbek and includes a meal typical of the region e.g.Seafood-potjie,Lamb curry-potjie,Grilled Haarder,Smoorsnoek
and lashings of freshly baked farm bread and butter and grape jam(korrel-
konfyt).Need I say more?I am convinced that Geelbek will then come alive
to what it was in its heyday and even the flies become tourist friendly! :D
No man is an Island...
John Donne(1573-1631)

Return to “Cape Parks”