Skip to Content

Plant: Potato bush (Phyllanthus reticulatus)

Find, identify and discuss the plants of all the SANParks
Meg
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Tree/Bush smelling of......

Unread post by Meg » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:56 am

Oumie wrote:Hi there,

Can anybody please tell me what is the name of the tree/bush that smells like baked potato.
Went on a game drive a few years back and the ranger told us about this tree/bush, but forgot the name.

I think it's common name is actually the "potato bush" (after looking on the internet it's Latin name seems to be Solanum Nigrum).
Mothers hold their children's hands for a while and their hearts forever

hornbill

Unread post by hornbill » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:32 am

Krokodile wrote:Phyllanthus Reticulatus (although I've only found one reference to it through Google :lol: )

There are a few Potato bushes around Pretoriuskop camp and the camp fence does have signs which explain what the smell is - when I'm there in May, I'll take some photo's.

I remember seeing it in the camp with the explanation but cannot remember any of it. Would be great if you took some photo's of the bush and the explanation.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:41 am

The web wrote:Potato \Po*ta"to\, n.; pl. Potatoes. [Sp. patata potato, batata sweet potato, from the native American name (probably batata) in Hayti.] (Bot.)
(a) A plant (Solanum tuberosum) of the Nightshade family, and its esculent farinaceous tuber, of which there are numerous varieties used for food. It is native of South America, but a form of the species is found native as far north as New Mexico.
(b) The sweet potato (see below).
Sweet potato (Bot.), a climbing plant (Ipom[oe]a Balatas) allied to the morning-glory. Its farinaceous tubers have a sweetish taste, and are used, when cooked, for food. It is probably a native of Brazil, but is cultivated extensively in the warmer parts of every continent, and even as far north as New Jersey. The name potato was applied to this plant before it was to the Solanum tuberosum, and this is the ``potato'' of the Southern United States.
Wild potato. (Bot.)
(a) A vine (Ipom[oe]a pandurata) having a pale purplish flower and an enormous root. It is common in sandy places in the United States.
(b) A similar tropical American plant (I. fastigiata) which it is thought may have been the original stock of the sweet potato.

The distinctive scent of the Potato Bush permeates river banks in spring.

If I look at the "fruit" is does look like it... Does the smell and flowering seem to be correct?
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Bok

Shrub: Potato Bush

Unread post by Bok » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:32 am

Hi everyone!
Every time that I'm near KNP, I smell a scent. I think it's a type of tree. Especially in Skukuza. Does someone perhaps know what tree it is, or if it is anything else?
It's not a very "attractive" smell, but I love it, because it reminds me of all the times I've visited KNP.
Since I was 5 years old, I've remembered that smell.

woodlin

Unread post by woodlin » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Are you not perhaps talking about the Potato Bush? :lol: Don't laugh - some people don't like the "smell", but it smells like potatoes boiling, just stronger. Very noticeable in winter. My favourite bushveld smell.

Bok

Unread post by Bok » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:06 am

Freda wrote:Hi Bok and welcome :D
Is this a year round smell or do you usually visit during certain months of the year?

It's a year round smell... I smell it the strongest when I'm in the parking of the reception at Skukuza. In front of the 3 heads.

G@mespotter
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Smell in KNP

Unread post by G@mespotter » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:16 pm

Jip I would also go for patato bush. It's one of the most distinctive smells in Kruger
Tambotie 12 July, Olifants Backpack trail 13-16 July, Letaba 16 July, Balule 17 July, and Sable Hide 18 July and Lower Sabie 19-20 July Can't wait actually :)

Johann
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re:

Unread post by Johann » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:38 pm

Bok wrote:It's a year round smell... I smell it the strongest when I'm in the parking of the reception at Skukuza. In front of the 3 heads.

When we entered Skukuza and drove past the reception on Sunday I could clearly smell the Potato bush.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
Albert Einstein

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Bok

Shrub: Potato Bush

Unread post by Bok » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:29 am

Okay, so it's the Potato Bush?

Yipppeeee, I know we are talking about the same smell! :thumbs_up:

Is it a tree or what?

I told you the smell is the strongest at Skukuza's reception!

Thanks everyone!!!!!! :lol:

Return to “Plants”