Skip to Content

Tamboti Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
giraffee

Unread post by giraffee » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:31 pm

We stayed in Tamboti for the very first time :redface: , two weeks ago.
Stayed in No 23. Very very nice. However 23 have clear view of No 22, and vice versus. It would be ideal for 2 groups of friends to stay together in the two tents.

All I can say is, magic magic magic MAGIC :mrgreen: .
What a blast.
Wish there were more tented camps like Tamboti within the same price range as well.

PS. -Each bed have two nice woolly blankets and we found that more that enough.

katydownunder
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by katydownunder » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:29 am

Hi DianevdL!

We stayed at Tamboti always in tent #40.It is right at the end of the fence and leaving the side windows of your tent open you really got the feeling as if you were sleeping right in the middle of the bush. If you are staying for the first time it might be a little bit scary to be in pitch darkness and hear all the sounds of the bush (believe me I know what I am talking about :wink: ) .
We love #40 , but I am convinced that you got a great view from the tents.
The last time we had a little furry visitor as well. Not with a Sweet tooth, but he/she was fond of our rice supplies. So store away all your food even the dry things.Everything that is not mice proof :wink: .

Have a great stay and enjoy Kruger.

Katy
The Trip of a lifetime....
Our KTP Adventures November 2010

gwendolen

Unread post by gwendolen » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:37 pm

Hi Steve,

All tents have their own braai on the deck. The tents are very private, however you might want to contact Orpen and ask if you may have number 40 at Tamboti, which is on the corner. If you mention you are on honeymoon, you might get lucky. :D

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:25 am

I stayed in Tent number 2 in October. If you want to be close to the ablutions, try rather for number 5 upwards.
I have also stayed in in 5 or 6 and that was extremely pleasant.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:02 pm

Nos 9 & 10 are the closest to the ablution blocks, I think.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:29 pm

Just to refresh the memories , pic taken from tent 40 , Dec 2007.

ImageLarge
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Foxy
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by Foxy » Thu May 01, 2008 9:59 pm

21 and 22 were our favourite tents with view onto river and not too far from the ablutions. Watched a leopard playing around in the river from those 2 tents one afternoon for over and hour.

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti » Wed May 21, 2008 8:00 am

Rusky :
Tents have individual braais , they are wood and charcoal burning , I would recommend buying both at the shop at Orpen which is about 3 km away , as the wood supplied is very hard and difficult to light . Firelighters may not supply enough heat to get the wood burning , I have found charcoal to be a good woodfire starter .
You have made an excellent choice in Tambotie .
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Mgoddard
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Tamboti privacy /Braai facilities

Unread post by Mgoddard » Sat May 24, 2008 1:01 pm

Well, further to my previous post I have to tell you that we stayed at Tamboti during April....and it was hot....the fan did not make much difference and although its my favorite camp we have now decided to change our celebrations from here to LSabie :( , huts with airconditioning.... :D but, for those interested in planning a celebration or family gathering at Tamboit here are a few pics of the boma ....(still wish we could do it here) :( but, SO must also be comfortable, not just me being in the bush :D its situated on the road as you come in through the gate on the right hand side...very quiet, out of the way and you feel like you are right in the bush :D

Fanta
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Fanta » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:58 am

We stayed in tents 9 - 11 in February this year and had a nice view of the dry riverbed. Had the baboons walking past every morning and late afternoon. You can call Orpen camp with your reservation number.

The tents (9 -11) were also close the blocks but my brother (who stayed in no 9) said that people going to bathroom tend smack their car doors closed in the middle of the night. It very peaceful, heard lions and hyaenas. Pitty the "birdhide" view is overgrown with reeds with nothing walking or flying past even! :( Also look out for the bushbucks in the camp and I hear there is a honey badger that stays in the camp aera.

Over all it is great camp. Look out for the black-backed jackals that live on the roads leading to Orpen and Tamboti/Maroela. My brother saw Wilddogs the one morning so I geuss either it was a pack travelling through or that stays in the aera. I wasn't so lucky! 8)
"People who have nothing to say, speak the loudest." - John Rzeznik

rusky
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by rusky » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:32 pm

p@m wrote:Hi Stephan and Junita -- the Timbavati is dry.
Sure some-one will post a pic of the tent for you :D

Yep, the river is dry.....but we still had giraffe and impala on the far bank, plus animals at night. Because it is dry there are great sightings near the waterholes - Leeubron, Rabelais, N'semani - just plonk yourself near one with you brekkie, binocs, book and it unfolds for you.
We stayed in tent 22 which was great. These r the ones without ablutions but they r just a stroll away. 18-22 according to me have the best viewing (in the non luxury section which is 31-40)- the bend in the river. I have some good photos of the tent which will be posted in my trip report eventually - see Ruskys Kruger Ramble.
2 pax tents : 2, 4, 8, 9, 12, 14-17, 20, 24,25,27,29
4 pax tents: the rest
Luxury; 2-3 pax 31-40
BTW all this is on the map on the website - do to the map section

We thought Tamboti was the best - quieter. secluded and yet conveniently located.
Be the change you want to see in the world- Gandhi
Rusky's Kruger Ramble Jun 08 - a 1st timers dream trip

rusky
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by rusky » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:53 am

Just some pics of the CTT4 tents
Image Image
Be the change you want to see in the world- Gandhi
Rusky's Kruger Ramble Jun 08 - a 1st timers dream trip

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:12 am

Fantastic camp , more specially so for me , I was treated to my first night bush braai there before the camp was built (towards end of 1995). Where the borehole is now , that is behind the middle ablution block (somewhere around tent 20) was a fenced off pump house with a diesel engine . This was in 1991 , long before bush braais and night drives were offered , and even open safari vehicles were not allowed .
In 1993 I fished and picniced in the pools in the immediate vicinity of Tamboti .
One really felt you were very deep in the wilderness !

Fanta
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Fanta » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:20 am

Hi Foxy,

27 and 28 is quite nice they are close to the luxury tents but the best view of the river bed. Well that will be my choice next time we go to Tamboti...

:dance:
"People who have nothing to say, speak the loudest." - John Rzeznik

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp

Unread post by RosemaryH » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:52 pm

Hi anne catherine, the luxury tents at Tamboti do accomodate 3 people. They have a double bed and a sleeper couch. :)

@Lyndal BB will be proud of you :D :D
Rose

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”